User Tag List

First 12345 Last

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by spin-1/2-nuclei View Post
    <------------- This is a random opinion of someone about what the academy should believe not what the academy actually believes...
    John Lott is hardly just some random guy in the context of gun control debates: John Lott - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The purpose of my links was to draw attention to two studies by high-profile organizations trying-and failing-to provide empirical support for gun control. Its unsurprising that the organizations in question seek to downplay a null hypothesis.

As for the study you cited, here's some information that provides insight into the context (there's that word again) behind those numbers (check the sections labeled 'Guns and Crime Prevention' and 'Crime and Guns': http://www.gunfacts.info/pdfs/gun-fa...5.1-screen.pdf

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    Y'know... there are places in the world where there are a lot of guns, and there are places in the world where there are no guns. I think we should all live in the places that have the gun laws we want.
    Its nice that you want me to move to the states Oberon but really, I cant agree fiscally with your US conservatives and I cant agree culturally with your US liberals, so...

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

I imagine we'd see a sharp increase in really bad accidents if anyone who could see over the steering wheel was able to drive with no regulation put in place to train them or assess their mental/physical abilities to accomplish the task - your logic is flawed.
    You lie! My logic is never wrong!

That said logic is over rated. Self-defence is a human right, no one should interfer with human rights, driving cars is a different story, its a privilege not a right.

So far as people being dumb enough to kill themselves or loved ones with weapons they acquire, I guess that's what you call a natural consequence.

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    That said logic is over rated.
    It's probably one of the most under-rated things in the world.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    It's probably one of the most under-rated things in the world.

Oh right, well, with powerful arguments like that I dont see how this has come about.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    You lie! My logic is never wrong!

That said logic is over rated. Self-defence is a human right, no one should interfer with human rights, driving cars is a different story, its a privilege not a right.

So far as people being dumb enough to kill themselves or loved ones with weapons they acquire, I guess that's what you call a natural consequence.
    Yes self defense is a right so why the hell can't I have my fully loaded MFing F/A-18 hornet?! I'd even settle for a Mig31 fighter.... I am after all a pilot and if I lived out in the middle of nowhere it would be much easier for me to patrol the edges of my land with a fighter jet..

I'd also really like a tank. That would be so awesome and so long as it doesn't leave my property it isn't like it should be anybody else's business what form of self defense I have... WTF?
    Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    watch where you're driving f$cktards! I have the right of way!!! :steam:

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by lowtech redneck View Post
    John Lott is hardly just some random guy in the context of gun control debates: John Lott - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The purpose of my links was to draw attention to two studies by high-profile organizations trying-and failing-to provide empirical support for gun control. Its unsurprising that the organizations in question seek to downplay a null hypothesis.

As for the study you cited, here's some information that provides insight into the context (there's that word again) behind those numbers (check the sections labeled 'Guns and Crime Prevention' and 'Crime and Guns': http://www.gunfacts.info/pdfs/gun-fa...5.1-screen.pdf
    The information you've provided is outdated and from questionable sources at that... Clearly we don't agree on what constitutes relevant information and valid research thus I don't see this conversation going anywhere useful.

MBTI
    INTP

The information you've provided is outdated and from questionable sources at that... Clearly we don't agree on what constitutes relevant information and valid research thus I don't see this conversation going anywhere useful.
    Distinguished professors and scholarly journals (albeit through a second-hand filter, as I do not currently have easy access to JSTOR, etc) are not relevant valid sources of information? uh, okay....

Edit: Regarding that ridiculous Branas et al article, however, you might want to investigate further: Comments on "Investigating the Link Between Gun Possession and Gun Assault *

*I shouldn't have to mention this, but look at the original source, not the website its linked to.
    Last edited by lowtech redneck; 07-02-2010 at 08:25 PM. Reason: more to add

God and Guns

What they won't face is that it is guns and God. G&G.

Even their President, Barack Obama, has said he is sick of guns and God.

Guns and God go together like love and marriage, a horse and carriage.

Like God, guns are beyond evidence, beyond reason. Guns, like God, are articles of faith.

Guns reveal the Yankee character in all its touching belief in freedom.

From the OK Corral to the slaughter of three million Vietnamese, yes, one point one million combatants and two million civilians, it's the man with the gun.

The gun maketh the man.

Without a gun a Yankee is naked, revealed as a treacherous revolutionary fit only for the gallows.

God gave the fig leaf to Adam and Eve to cover their nakedness. But to the Yankees, He gave the gun.

And every time they lust for a gun, they worship Him.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by lowtech redneck View Post
    Distinguished professors and scholarly journals (albeit through a second-hand filter, as I do not currently have easy access to JSTOR, etc) are not relevant valid sources of information? uh, okay....

Edit: Regarding that ridiculous Branas et al article, however, you might want to investigate further: Comments on "Investigating the Link Between Gun Possession and Gun Assault *

*I shouldn't have to mention this, but look at the original source, not the website its linked to.
    I'm not sure why this is difficult for you to understand... Your links are outdated and take the researcher on a circular path of background research that all leads to studies whose dates range from 1988 - 2004 - all of which predate the study I have quoted.. in addition to predating the 2004 release of the national academy of science review... 3 of the sources are directly affiliated with the same person (hardly what I would consider a consensus)

Thus as I said before... you and I clearly disagree on what is considered reliable research... and the fact still remains there isn't really anywhere else we can go from here given that fact.

edit: moreover the attempts to debunk the study I've quoted are hardly honest... if these people (obviously from a special interests group) have a complaint about the science used in a study they can simply contact the journal and request a retraction of the article I quote based on that information... I wonder why they haven't...

therefore I trust that a journal article from 2008 free of retractions is scientifically sound as there are rigorous review processes required to publish in peer reviewed scientific journals but any dodo can make claims on an internet website..