User Tag List

12 Last

Default Mad world or how whipped are the british now?

BBC News - Mother's 'nightmare' after baby twins 'mauled' by fox

The link is really background to the incident I want to discuss.

This family of middle class super wimps had their home invaded by a fox who bit their babies on the faces and tried to eat the arm off one of the babies, they where on the TV earlier and told a sad tale of how they wherent really that able to chase the fox out of the house and then when they got the police there the fox came back and tried to get in, scrapping at the now shut patio doors and a police officer snapped a pic of it on his mobile phone.

If a fox invaded my home and attacked a loved one it would be the first fox to appear as a curried main course that I've heard of.

Anyway, not only, because its Britain and also because its a nice middle class couple, wasnt there a fire arm to blast the varmet with but the documentary went on to say that the mother had been bombarded with hate mail on facebook, groups where set up declaring them liars and the whole thing a brutal set up to legalise fox hunting once more, they had graffiti daubed on their home and cars had their tires vandalised. Can you believe that?

Then there's the crucial mention that foxes, including urban foxes, are protected, they can not be legally killed, you are not allowed to harm them legally, whether they come into your home and attack you or not, you arent meant to contact the council and have them captured and either, get this, "humanely shot" or released in the countryside. Can you believe that?

So what we got is a society in which you dont have the means to defend yourself from animal attack, you arent allowed to do so in anycase and even if you dont you can expect to be victimised by a bunch of wildlife loving thugs?

WTF!

The Unwieldy Clawed One Falcarius's Avatar
    MBTI
    COOL
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    Dino None

Firstly, there is nothing legally stopping culling for pest-control purposes.

Secondly, there is nothing morally or legally stopping one from protecting a loved one from being attacked by anything or anyone including a fox.

Finally, doesn't one think it is a least a bit irresponsible for a mother of nine-month-old twin girls to have no secured garden, to leave a house door wide open at ten at night for just about anything and anyone to come in, and to leave open a bunch of house doors including the baby girls' bedroom door?
    Quote Originally Posted by Thalassa View Post
    Oh our 3rd person reference to ourselves denotes nothing more than we realize we are epic characters on the forum.

Narcissism, plain and simple.

Quote Originally Posted by Falcarius View Post
    Firstly, there is nothing legally stopping culling for pest-control purposes.

Secondly, there is nothing morally or legally stopping one from protecting a loved one from being attacked by anything or anyone including a fox.

Finally, doesn't one think it is a least a bit irresponsible for a mother of nine-month-old twin girls to have no secured garden, to leave a house door wide open at ten at night for just about anything and anyone to come in, and to leave open a bunch of house doors including the baby girls' bedroom door?
    Its not being reported like that.

Its not being reported like that and the law says otherwise.

I wouldnt have thought there was such a risk of home invasion by wildlife or anyone else as to warrant having the whole house on lockdown.

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

LARK IS OUTRAGED!

So you have a problem with: the English being whimps, dumb middle class people, gun control, laws protecting wildlife...anything else?

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    I wouldnt have thought there was such a risk of home invasion by wildlife or anyone else as to warrant having the whole house on lockdown.
    You wouldn't? Seriously, not even for mosquitoes and the like?
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

Quote Originally Posted by nebbykoo View Post
    LARK IS OUTRAGED!

So you have a problem with: the English being whimps, dumb middle class people, gun control, laws protecting wildlife...anything else?
    I am.

Most.

Of.

The.

Time.

Anything else? I mean, how long have you got?

The condensced response:

The "Modern World" just pisses me off.

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

I am.

Most.

Of.

The.

Time.

Anything else? I mean, how long have you got?

The condensced response:

The "Modern World" just pisses me off.

Just drink some Guinness. It's fairly low-cal, or so I hear.

The Unwieldy Clawed One Falcarius's Avatar
    MBTI
    COOL
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    Dino None

Its not being reported like that.

Its not being reported like that and the law says otherwise.

It may not be reported like that, but the fact is foxes are not protected any more than any other animal. Foxes can be trapped or snared but only by a professional pest contractors. They can also be culled but for the most part a cull wouldn't much if any effect, as it is a short term measure and other foxes would only replace them. Also, councils are highly reluctant to cull animals because it is costly and many residents are opposed to the practice in cities.

What law exactly says one can't protect a loved one from being attacked by anything or anyone including a fox?

Since when has doing basic things like shutting outside doors rather than leaving them wide open at ten at night been considered a state of lockdown?
    Quote Originally Posted by Thalassa View Post
    Oh our 3rd person reference to ourselves denotes nothing more than we realize we are epic characters on the forum.

Narcissism, plain and simple.

What is, is. Arthur Schopenhauer's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INTj

The British love bending.
    INTJ | 5w4 - Sp/Sx/So | 5-4-(9/1) | RLoEI | Melancholic-Choleric | Johari & Nohari

This will not end well...
    But it will at least be poetic, I suppose...

Hmm... But what if it does end well?
    Then I suppose it will be a different sort of poetry, a preferable sort...
    A sort I could become accustomed to...

MBTI
    NICE

Quote Originally Posted by nebbykoo View Post
    LARK IS OUTRAGED!

As always Larky is incorrect in his superficial "analysis". It is perfectly legal to shoot foxes providing certain critera are met.

Shooting: A number of different shooting
    techniques are used to kill foxes. The shooting
    of foxes at night using a rifle with the aid of a
    spotlight - lamping should only be done by
    competent shots who know the area well and
    are familiar with it in daylight.
    Shots at long range should not be taken; and
    weapons and ammunition chosen with care. A
    rifle of .22 calibre or larger should be used.
    Similarly, the use of dogs to flush foxes from
    cover should also only be undertaken by
    competent people using appropriate guns and
    ammunition and in accordance with the
    provisions of the Hunting Act 2004 (see below).
    Source: SIN004 - The red fox in rural areas

Linked from: Dealing with problems caused by foxes : Directgov - Home and community

Moreover, Larky demonstrates a basic inability to get his facts right, preferring his own warped view of the world to the real version.