User Tag List

First 7891011 Last

Thread: Guns!

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    No, the US wanted Euro nations to adopt a similar strategy to them, less welfare spending, share the costs of being world police, at least that was Bush co.'s position, Euro nations didnt share that view, they thought it was a case of proppping up US foreign policy for no gain.
    Okay, but Bush isn't president any more. What does that have to do with comparative charts or whatever you were talking about before?

I don't think the US should worry about what Europe does on this issue. We have our own budget to worry about.

No, I think Russia and China fancy themselves as hegemon.
    Huh? But you just said...nevermind. I'm not understanding much of anything you've posted.

The threats to democracy are the other nations, like Iran, who would want to influence geo-politics by running terrorist assets with plausible deniability.

I'm not so unwary about the spies, I agree that they arent that sophisticated, I reckon that Mossad are the only global intelligence network likely to be running sleeper agents or proxy warriors successfully over the real long term but I dont think that the Russians arent a threat, they assasinated political exiles in London in recent memory, they could have stimulated the threat of political islam by all accounts changing nationalists into political islamists in Chechnia, Kosovo, Georgia, Albania.
    What does Iran have to do with the US having 700+ foreign military bases?
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    INTJ

I reckon that Mossad are the only global intelligence network likely to be running sleeper agents or proxy warriors successfully over the real long term
    This was one of the primary purposes of Spetsnaz.
    "You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit."

Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office
    than to serve and obey them. - David Hume

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    Okay, but Bush isn't president any more. What does that have to do with comparative charts or whatever you were talking about before?

I don't think the US should worry about what Europe does on this issue. We have our own budget to worry about.
    I agree, its pretty much a US issue, I saying that the US before Obama was suggesting that perpetual war was realistic foreign policy and that the EU should join with them to fight the terrorists.

Chomsky went on about how his worst case scenario wasnt a war mongering US going it alone or even sabre rattling at a non-militarist Europe but a Euro-US alliance against the third world.

I mentioned comparisons because presently I think the US is the only nation I would want to act as hegemon, if that requires collossal military spends then I'm not going to be shocked by it and I wonder about its rivals for hegemon.

Huh? But you just said...nevermind. I'm not understanding much of anything you've posted.
    Not sure what's not to understand but anyway.

What does Iran have to do with the US having 700+ foreign military bases?
    Nothing, its a different point, you asked me who I had refered to as the threats to democracy, I mentioned a nation which would be described as such in all likelihood.

Quote Originally Posted by Metamorphosis View Post
    This was one of the primary purposes of Spetsnaz.
    Yeah but Spetsnaz is a military unit not intelligence or spy network.

Anyway, I reckon that a populace which can defend itself is in the final analysis the only proper or possible response to concerted terrorism, the authorities cant stop it, unless by politically engaging the terrorists where that's possible, I dont think it is with some of the more millenial, fundamentalist sorts.

MBTI
    INTJ

Yeah but Spetsnaz is a military unit not intelligence or spy network.
    Not true. It is a military intelligence network.
    "You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit."

Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office
    than to serve and obey them. - David Hume

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    Russia and China is are threats to democracy?
    To us? No. To our democratic/democratizing allies? Yes. They are also both threats to our strategic interests, though neither is an existential threat along the lines of the Soviet Union.

Edit: we seem to have gone off on a tangent, here...
    Last edited by lowtech redneck; 06-30-2010 at 04:19 PM. Reason: self-evident

yeah, LR, majorly, I was wondering how to get it back on track.

I support the right to keep arms, I think the human rights tendencies of the UK and EU which has all but prohibited sporks is very wrong.

Makes you wonder how polite society existed before states, police, prohibitions etc. and also if anyone but the already lawabidding was ever really troubled about the outlawing of weapons anyway.

Smile Oz

Quote Originally Posted by lowtech redneck View Post
    To us? No. To our democratic/democratizing allies? Yes.
    It's interesting, our Mandarin speaking Prime Minister has produced a White Paper on Defence that will give us our largest build up since we separated from the Royal Navy.

And when implemented will give us one of the most powerful navies in the world.

And all this in response to China's build up.

It's been apparent to all of us that China is quite the bully and it is necessary to stand our ground with them.

We do have excellent naval traditions, thanks to the Royal Navy, and we are an island Continent. So we intend to benefit from trade with China but without being bullied.

Also we intend to mediate between the USA and China and for that we need a modicum of independence.

We were discovered by Lieutenant James Cook of the Royal Navy, and my father was Lieutenant Victor Shortus of the Royal Australian Navy, so it looks like we are setting sail again.

Sniffles

Quote Originally Posted by Metamorphosis View Post
    Not true. It is a military intelligence network.
    Spetsnaz are special forces.