User Tag List

First 678910 Last

Thread: Guns!

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Antisocial one View Post
    As I said in another thread...........

Now the only question is are they misinformed, paranoid, crazy or they trully think about waging a war against everybody else. (I mean it would be a fair fight if you take nukes out of the equation)

Basicly there is nothing you can do here. It is just part of their culture.

That is a very misleading budget pie, though. Notice "Discretionary." That is only a fraction of the actual federal budget. FAR MORE money is spent on Social Security and Medicare/Medicaid than defense. Entitlement programs are not considered discretionary spending.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

Ginkgo

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    That is a very misleading budget pie, though. Notice "Discretionary." That is only a fraction of the actual federal budget. FAR MORE money is spent on Social Security and Medicare/Medicaid than defense. Entitlement programs are not considered discretionary spending.
    Data or it didn't happen.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Mystic Tater View Post
    Data or it didn't happen.
    Here you go. Social Security, Medicare/Medicaid, and other mandatory (i.e., non-discretionary) spending made up 56% of the federal budget in 2009. And our defense spending has been relatively high by post-WWII standards since 9/11.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    I was thinking about making a similar post, but I was too lazy.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    I was thinking about making a similar post, but I was too lazy.
    I'm always looking out for you. Now, I think defense spending is one of the first places that should be cut in the budget (almost $800 billion is ludicrous), but defense is also one of the most legitimate and necessary functions of the federal government. Entitlement spending will need to be controlled, too. Look at this projection (preferably with a stiff drink):

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

I wonder how much operating over 700 foreign military bases costs us. How much could we save by closing half of them? $100 billion/year? Would 300+ foreign military bases be enough for the chickenhawks?
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    ESFJ

I wonder how much operating over 700 foreign military bases costs us. How much could we save by closing half of them? $100 billion/year? Would 300+ foreign military bases be enough for the chickenhawks?
    I couldn't say. Harry Browne devoted some of his book Why Government Doesn't Work to this very topic, I could look up his figures. They were post-Cold War, pre-9/11, though.

Who are the chickenhawks?

I'd want to see comparative charts before I'd have an opinion to be honest, I know that most Euro nations wouldnt have such militarist budgets, including the former axis nations for sure which I believe still have restricted militaries (including Germany, which bizarrely the Bush administration complained was not militaristic enough at the time it launched its two wars).

I wonder if Russia, China or the other combined threats to democracy have similar budgets or aspirations, I just heard on the news today that Russian intelligence operatives, spies, is at the same level today as what it was during the Cold War.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    Who are the chickenhawks?
    Chickenhawk (politics) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

GWB is a chickenhawk.

I'd want to see comparative charts before I'd have an opinion to be honest, I know that most Euro nations wouldnt have such militarist budgets, including the former axis nations for sure which I believe still have restricted militaries (including Germany, which bizarrely the Bush administration complained was not militaristic enough at the time it launched its two wars).
    Are you saying that if the US spent less on its military, some European nations would also spend less?

I wonder if Russia, China or the other combined threats to democracy have similar budgets or aspirations, I just heard on the news today that Russian intelligence operatives, spies, is at the same level today as what it was during the Cold War.
    Russia and China is are threats to democracy?

The Russian spy thing is nothing to worry about. Russia is very bureaucratic, so they have these spy networks that are really just relics of the Cold War. The spy ring that was recently exposed in the US wasn't doing anything particularly shocking or damaging. They were actually collecting information they could have gotten over the internet. So yeah, Russia...they're smrt.

Cheers.

Are you saying that if the US spent less on its military, some European nations would also spend less?
    No, the US wanted Euro nations to adopt a similar strategy to them, less welfare spending, share the costs of being world police, at least that was Bush co.'s position, Euro nations didnt share that view, they thought it was a case of proppping up US foreign policy for no gain.

Russia and China is are threats to democracy?

The Russian spy thing is nothing to worry about. Russia is very bureaucratic, so they have these spy networks that are really just relics of the Cold War. The spy ring that was recently exposed in the US wasn't doing anything particularly shocking or damaging. They were actually collecting information they could have gotten over the internet. So yeah, Russia...they're smrt.
    No, I think Russia and China fancy themselves as hegemon.

The threats to democracy are the other nations, like Iran, who would want to influence geo-politics by running terrorist assets with plausible deniability.

I'm not so unwary about the spies, I agree that they arent that sophisticated, I reckon that Mossad are the only global intelligence network likely to be running sleeper agents or proxy warriors successfully over the real long term but I dont think that the Russians arent a threat, they assasinated political exiles in London in recent memory, they could have stimulated the threat of political islam by all accounts changing nationalists into political islamists in Chechnia, Kosovo, Georgia, Albania.