User Tag List

First 123412 Last

Thread: Guns!

MBTI
    ISTJ

I would rather wait 10-20 minutes in fear for the police to get to my house and deal with a violent criminal in my home. /sarcasm :rolli:

Honestly, the liberal ideology to "ban guns" is just another way for them and their UN buddies to gain power. I've had staunch people from New York City who despised guns come by my place and fire a few rounds after I educated them on how important it is to own firearms. By the time they left, they told me how foolish it would be to try to ban guns.

Guns are an American past time (exhibition shooting) and they are also for our own security (self defense) and for keeping the government in check (upholding our constitutional rights). There will never be a world where everyone gets along, that is why it's important to own guns. There will always be criminals, even if you ban the manufacturing and possession of guns, who do you think will still own them? Criminals. After all, that's what makes them criminals in the first place, they disobey the law.
    Freedom Isn't Free. [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    Thank you dear Oberon for your passionate support for me but I would prefer your passionate support for the democratic right of my Government to ban guns.

And further, I would like to hear your passionate support for the Universal Declaration of Human Rights.
    If the Australian people, through their social contract, grant their government the power to severely restrict the use of firearms, that altogether right and proper.

The American people, according to the Supreme Court, did not grant their government the same power.

This is why it is appropriate to respect other peoples' sovereignty.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    And further, I would like to hear your passionate support for the Universal Declaration of Human Rights.
    You got it; I also think the Bill of Rights is superior to the UDHR in several important respects, including the right of gun ownership and better protections for free speech and religious freedom, and would never acquiesce to limiting the protected rights of American citizens to the standards of the important but minimalist UDHR.

MBTI
    ----

this thread reminds me of my first visit to new england in the US. the license plate motto on new hampshire vehicles reads live free or die. i once saw an unattended new hampshire pick up truck with a rifle in the back of it - the notion of people in a developed country being so casual about firearms was absolutely shocking to me - i was 19 at the time. i found it culturally confronting.

people in australia are allowed to own guns for legitimate purposes - sport/controlling pests on farms, however, there are tight restrictions on the types of firearms that may be owned and how they may be stored etc.

one must show they have a 'genuine reason' to acquire a firearm and self defense is not in of itself deemed a genuine reason. things like target shooting/collecting are. if you want one for sport - you must show that you belong to a sport shooting club. an interesting element to this is that recent major gun law reforms in australia were driven by a conservative government. the debate is entrenched in culture not just politics.

i haven't looked at the stats for a while, but i think around 5% of the population in australia own a gun? i think the US is around 30%?

i'm comfortable with the controls in australia - i see them as reasonable. i feel safe. i'm not going to trot out data on gun violence in the US as people know about the issue, but i will say the impacts particularly on disadvantaged urban areas are shocking.

i respect the US' sovereignty, but i see its addiction to firearms as very unfortunate.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    8w7

fights over gun rights = dick waving contest.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.” -Nietzsche

MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Pixelholic View Post
    fights over gun rights = dick waving contest.
    Explain.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    8w7

Nobody ever takes a reasonable stance. I'm pro 2nd amendment, but I'm also pro = common fucking sense, which is sorely lacking amongst the gun nuts I grew up around. Fights about gun rights devolve into this stupid back and forth between someone who thinks the goverment is out to get him and wants to have the right to kill everyone who so much as looks at him funny and someone else who thinks that guns are bad evil fascist harbingers or death and destruction. And no matter how many concessions are given to pro gun activists they STILL believe that the government is going to come and take all their guns away.

There are bigger problems in the country than gun rights, gun rights aren't going away anytime soon. Everyone can calm down.

Now, liberal gun rights combined with fear of the current president and the condoning of right-wing terrorism by the media during an economic meltdown? That's worrying...
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.” -Nietzsche

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by strawberries View Post
    this thread reminds me of my first visit to new england in the US. the license plate motto on new hampshire vehicles reads live free or die. i once saw an unattended new hampshire pick up truck with a rifle in the back of it - the notion of people in a developed country being so casual about firearms was absolutely shocking to me - i was 19 at the time. i found it culturally confronting.

people in australia are allowed to own guns for legitimate purposes - sport/controlling pests on farms, however, there are tight restrictions on the types of firearms that may be owned and how they may be stored etc.

one must show they have a 'genuine reason' to acquire a firearm and self defense is not in of itself deemed a genuine reason. things like target shooting/collecting are. if you want one for sport - you must show that you belong to a sport shooting club. an interesting element to this is that recent major gun law reforms in australia were driven by a conservative government. the debate is entrenched in culture not just politics.

i haven't looked at the stats for a while, but i think around 5% of the population in australia own a gun? i think the US is around 30%?

i'm comfortable with the controls in australia - i see them as reasonable. i feel safe. i'm not going to trot out data on gun violence in the US as people know about the issue, but i will say the impacts particularly on disadvantaged urban areas are shocking.

i respect the US' sovereignty, but i see its addiction to firearms as very unfortunate.

Those urban areas with the high gun violence rates usually have the strictest gun control, too. A lot of it has to do with our insane drug laws, which make drug dealing very dangerous and very lucrative. The most corrupt people with the least hesitance to turn to violence are the ones who get to the top.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    ISTx

Quote Originally Posted by Halla74 View Post
    Criminals will arm themselves whether the right to do so exists or not.

Personally, I like having the option of blowing their head off if they trespass on my property or try to harm me or my loved ones.

At this point in U.S. history it would be impossible to disarm the nation.

An armed citizenry is a good check and balance against would be tyrants in a government gone bad...

I'm a military kid, so maybe I'm biased, but that's my take on this issue.
    I'm with ya, halla.

I'm working on getting a 12 gauge soon. It will be my first firearm purchase.

Let me count the ways Betty Blue's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7W6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by Halla74 View Post
    Criminals will arm themselves whether the right to do so exists or not.

Personally, I like having the option of blowing their head off if they trespass on my property or try to harm me or my loved ones.

At this point in U.S. history it would be impossible to disarm the nation.

An armed citizenry is a good check and balance against would be tyrants in a government gone bad...

I'm a military kid, so maybe I'm biased, but that's my take on this issue.

Hmmm, much concern.
    Do you think there would be so many gun crimes if gun ownership were illegal?
    Obviously there would have to be a huge amnesty for firearms to be handed over plus a nationwide crackdown on illegal gun manufacturing/fencing first. (and i'm sure there would need to be other measures too)
    but hypothetically?
    "We knew he was someone who had a tragic flaw, that's where his greatness came from"