User Tag List

First 89101112 Last

Thread: Guns!

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    Spetsnaz are special forces.
    I'm well aware of what they are and the literal translation of the name.
    "You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit."

Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office
    than to serve and obey them. - David Hume

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Metamorphosis View Post
    I'm well aware of what they are and the literal translation of the name.
    You're going to be really embarrassed when it turns out you're wrong.

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    We do have excellent naval traditions, thanks to the Royal Navy...
    What was it Churchill said? Something about "...rum, sodomy, and the lash"?

On the up side, many port cities during the colonial era were able to offer one-stop shopping.

MBTI
    INTP
    Socionics
    INTp

Quote Originally Posted by onemoretime View Post
    McDonald v. Chicago came down from the Supes today. Incorporates the Second Amendment under the Heller v. District of Columbia standard, which recognizes guns possessed for self-defense as a fundamental right.

Any thoughts?

Edit: sorry for the legalese. "Incorporates" means that a portion of the Bill of Rights applies to the states via the Due Process Clause of the Fourteenth Amendment.
    A US citizen has the inalienable right to life. And, the liberty to protect that life in self defense by whatever means are necessary. Guns are effective and lawful ways to do that.
    Just because you can doesn't mean you should.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    8w7

Quote Originally Posted by ThinkingAboutIt View Post
    A US citizen has the inalienable right to life. And, the liberty to protect that life in self defense by whatever means are necessary. Guns are effective and lawful ways to do that.
    I often wish the constitution had emphasized the responsibilities of a citizen rather than the inalienable rights. Maybe then we'd have a political discourse that would go beyond platitudes and slogans.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.” -Nietzsche

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Pixelholic View Post
    I often wish the constitution had emphasized the responsibilities of a citizen rather than the inalienable rights. Maybe then we'd have a political discourse that would go beyond platitudes and slogans.
    The Constitution was really written with regards to government, specifically what it could and could not do.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    8w7

I know. My point was it should have focused a bit on laying out what should be expected of a good citizen rather than simply laying out what government can and cannot do. Sort of a "ask what you can do for your country" kind of thing. You know, nip the sense of entitlement in the bud.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.” -Nietzsche

MBTI
    INTP
    Socionics
    INTp

I know. My point was it should have focused a bit on laying out what should be expected of a good citizen rather than simply laying out what government can and cannot do. Sort of a "ask what you can do for your country" kind of thing. You know, nip the sense of entitlement in the bud.
    I don't think that has anything to do with responsible gun ownership, though I do understand what you mean.
    Just because you can doesn't mean you should.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    8w7

In a way it does and in a way it doesn't. If you had a cultural mindset that revolved around a citizen's rights to self-defense but also a responsibility to the community and the society that protects such rights, you could possibly have a more reasonable discussion about gun rights that doesn't become the usual firestorm.

Like if you have mandatory civil service that emphasized helping those in need and protecting your friends and family but also bestowed inalienable gun rights, you'd probably have more of a communal feeling of protection rather than the way it works now where everyone is sort of perceived as a potential threat and the government is just a force of evil that must be fought at every turn.

You'd also remove the paranoia-fueled police state bullshit.

Sniffles

In a way it does and in a way it doesn't. If you had a cultural mindset that revolved around a citizen's rights to self-defense but also a responsibility to the community and the society that protects such rights, you could possibly have a more reasonable discussion about gun rights that doesn't become the usual firestorm.

Like if you have mandatory civil service that emphasized helping those in need and protecting your friends and family but also bestowed inalienable gun rights, you'd probably have more of a communal feeling of protection rather than the way it works now where everyone is sort of perceived as a potential threat and the government is just a force of evil that must be fought at every turn.

You'd also remove the paranoia-fueled police state bullshit.
    Yes a strong sense of communitarianism is necessary point to consider in regards to gun ownership.