User Tag List

First 678910 Last

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by entropie View Post
    But well when you get criticized all day, you someday get really oblivious to it. If you on the other hand never get criticized, you are of course a bit pissed .

I think this all a bit a splitting of hairs. What I think is that the european Union is not really a Union yet. The financial crisis now and all the shit, is some kind of first acid test we ever had.

While the U.S. raises their flag to every festival and prays the american national anthem, in Europe there isnt really such a thing. So the real feeling of unity or proud patriotism hasnt really come to me yet.

Tho the mutual work between european nations has become very good in the past, better than one could have ever expected, it's still the difficulty that every nation has to watch out for his own, cause there is no big government to rescue them.

And before this nation-fixation cant be loosened, you'll not be able to compare Europe to the US at all.
    Which is all stupid and petty. You've got 500,000,000 people and a lot of them are highly trained and educated. You coulda been a contender but you're not because you still have all these Europeans not wanting to touch other Europeans a bit across the continent because they look like they might be sticky.

Petty, petty, petty.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Stol11 View Post
    as I don't acknowledge current US English as real English.
    Do you have to learn new grammar when speaking "US English"?

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

Hey, I am for more than 2 years on an international forum. In fact I am hanging out on no german forum at all. Fact is most educated germans leave their country for other european countries or to the US.

But the majority of people is born in Ohio and dies in ohio, if you get what I mean.
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by entropie View Post
    Hey, I am for more than 2 years on an international forum. In fact I am hanging out on no german forum at all. Fact is most educated germans leave their country for other european countries or to the US.

But the majority of people is born in Ohio and dies in ohio, if you get what I mean.
    I would not say that is true of educated Ohians.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    Which is all stupid and petty. You've got 500,000,000 people and a lot of them are highly trained and educated. You coulda been a contender but you're not because you still have all these Europeans not wanting to touch other Europeans a bit across the continent because they look like they might be sticky.

Petty, petty, petty.
    True. It´s a bit more complicated than that, but essentially guilty as pleaded.
    The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge. Neither love without knowledge, nor knowledge without love can produce a good life. - Bertrand Russell
    A herring's blog
    Johari / Nohari

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

Speaking for myself only, I have learned for 10 years in school, how perfect my nation did crimes to mankind only 60 years ago. So something like a national proud or a proud for the european union I was never able to really develop.

I had more had the initiative to do things right for me and show the world that this is a new time with new people, nevertheless in my first attempts to contact any people not from Germany, I always on every occasion got told to be a Nazi.

I nevertheless didnt ever give up and when I was 15 I met my first foreigner, a guy from Australia and imagine I only live like 50 miles to the french border, but have never seen a french. ( back in this time they would have destroyed your car tires if you drove there and they figured you were german )

When I was 17 I went for 3 weeks on a trip thru Italy and got salutated at by an Italian at Rome airport. He said "the germans are marching again" to us with a heavily italian accent and we all were so stoned that we had many images going on in our heads that moment.

When I was 18 I went on a 3 weeks trip thru France and stood in a supermarket with two french woman at the cash desk, who bought plastic GI dog tags which celebrated D-Day. I just nooded and smiled and played the shy guy, who is afraid to talk, so they wouldnt figure I am german.

I can go on with this stories for another hour, if I must; but I tell you this:

I want Europe, I love Europe and whatever I can do, I will do everything that we get to Europe !

Sniffles

No matter how much the Euros(well West Euros at least) try to deny it, they still harbor their old rivalries and hatreds. You can't fight history.

MBTI
    ENTJ

Haphazard. I have no trouble speaking anything thank you, I am not composing an essay. This is a loosely typed response. I persume you were attacking my grammar, if not then I apologise and will inform you that no you don't need new grammar when speaking US English

As to the question on self-criticism, I agree with entropie. All this blind patriotism gives most Americans a sort of self censorship. They will not do anything anyone considers 'anti-American'. Being 'anti-British' as a phrase barely exists. The fact that Americans have to hoist flags everywhere and to salute and pledge allegiance in schools every day shows that they are not that open to criticism. If you tried that in the UK everyone would laugh or at least question why you were doing it.

I also want a more federal Europe, one of the few in England who does. I feel sorry for Germans who keep on getting labelled Nazis, especially when the German states have such a rich history. My own period involves heavy analysis of the Hanoverian Kings as well as a personal hero, Frederick the Great

Also don't get me started on secularisation, its the best thing Europe has embraced, rather than the hocus pocus that most Americans still believe in. That’s why creationism is still popular in some American states and is ignored here (being so utterly ridiculous and moronic you could not even contemplate it on the syllabus). Your welcome to your mad sects, All brands of Christianity be it Catholicism, Mormonism, Evangelicalism or Scientology are all as rubbish and illogical as one another. I'm so glad that religion is dying off here!

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Stol11 View Post
    Haphazard. I have no trouble speaking anything thank you, I am not composing an essay. This is a loosely typed response. I persume you were attacking my grammar, if not then I apologise and will inform you that no you don't need new grammar when speaking US English
    My point is that it's impossible to compare learning "US" English to learning a foreign language. While there will be unintelligible speakers anywhere (just get lost in middle of nowhere North Carolina), there's no need for such a superiority complex. The only reason we seem not to understand what you're saying is because we actually do and enjoy being assholes, you know, like the French.

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    My point is that it's impossible to compare learning "US" English to learning a foreign language. While there will be unintelligible speakers anywhere (just get lost in middle of nowhere North Carolina), there's no need for such a superiority complex. The only reason we seem not to understand what you're saying is because we actually do and enjoy being assholes, you know, like the French.
    It's ok, you get a manhug too

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2eg3D9_YTE"].[/YOUTUBE]