User Tag List

First 45678 Last

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Sky is BLUE! View Post
    Oh, this thread smells like WW III.
    You think too when the americans are bankrupt they only have their tanks left to eat ?

That could be bad for us
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Stol11 View Post
    The answer to this question is why would anyone learn French? I admire France and like the people, but the language is next to useless. It is a massive chip on the shoulder of every Frenchman that leads to the current state of arrogant deluded self-importance in terms of language. I can think of lots of languages that are more useful, Chinese, Arabic, Spanish even Russian and American, as I don't acknowledge current US English as real English.

Who speaks French apart from France, half of Belgium a Third of Switzerland, swathes of sparsely populated Saharan and sub-Saharan Africa and a few Caribbean islands.
    You just answered your own question, that´s quite a large part of the world you are citing there. Then there is the long tradition of French in diplomacy and international organizations, a lot of people speaking it as seconf language already. If you are looking for an alternative to the omnipresent americanization of everything it is your next choice as a lingua franca, unless you belong to the small group of Esperanto speakers. The languages you named are all extremely important, but my focus was on innereuropean communication and there is something about a Swede and an Italian communicating in Chinese that just doesn´t seem to fit, not that it can´t happen, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Stol11 View Post
    What underlying and ignored Racism, coming from the USA?

Self Criticism! How on earth can you say that when Europeans who are
    experts Self deprecation. I live in a country, that although i admire the history, is not exactly wonderful..

Those 'paralysing social safety nets' I persume you mean a degree of social welfare. Rather than leaving people to die in the streets.

EU structure is too convoluted i'll give you that one, although It should be reformed

Backbone? In terms of war, there is not a province in Europe not touched by the blood of some war or another. usually on the most flimsy of pretexts. Its just that we THINK before taking a monumentous act like going to war, and actually have respect for international bodies. American ''Backbone'' has led to no end of trouble

Ignoring security! what rubbish, just because Europeans don't sanction torture and illegal prisons? Security in the UK is far to tight at the moment, we live in a complete surveillance state. Also the problem is we think every solution is FROM America! Thats why our country is in such a bad state

Bagels are available everywhere, thats due to the unfortunate nature of having everything Americanised.

Maybe less milk but better cheese, American cheese is appauling.

Roads less navigable? maybe for an American, you are used to big empty roads thanks to an abundance of space. Also most towns in Europe were built before the onset of major road networks
    Thanks for saying mostly what I was about to reply as well.
    The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge. Neither love without knowledge, nor knowledge without love can produce a good life. - Bertrand Russell
    A herring's blog
    Johari / Nohari

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Sky is BLUE! View Post
    Oh, this thread smells like WW III.
    Greece vs. Everyone else?

Sounds like a short war.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post
    You just answered your own question, that´s quite a large part of the world you are citing there. Then there is the long tradition of French in diplomacy and international organizations, a lot of people speaking it as seconf language already. If you are looking for an alternative to the omnipresent americanization of everything it is your next choice as a lingua franca, unless you belong to the small group of Esperanto speakers. The languages you named are all extremely important, but my focus was on innereuropean communication and there is something about a Swede and an Italian communicating in Chinese that just doesn´t seem to fit, not that it can´t happen, of course.
    Then why is it so much more believable that a Vietnamese and Chinese communicate in French?

Thanks for saying mostly what I was about to reply as well.
    This is a criticism thread, not a sniping back thread. Get over it.

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

How about some techno to help eleviate this tense situation

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6MQPWeI0Jg"].[/YOUTUBE]

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    Then why is it so much more believable that a Vietnamese and Chinese communicate in French?

I assume they would speak English. But you are probably refering to the dark legacy of colonialism for which Europe still hasn´t taken full responsibility. Yes, that would be another point on my list.

This is a criticism thread, not a sniping back thread. Get over it.
    1.If that should be the case, it is because of the dark legacy of colonialism for which Europe still hasn´t taken full responsibility. I´m the first to criticize that.

2.Granted, and you might have noticed that I was the first to give a long list of things that are seriously wrong with this place. However what was criticized here is not Europe as a place, or cluster of cultures, or group of people, but a political ideology. The poster in question attacked political positions that have little to do with Europe vs America or the rest of the world and much more with left vs right. I responded to a right wing attack against the left, not an American attack on Europe. We can get our own "Europeans are bleeding heart commie treehuggers"-tread though, if that´s more appropriate
    You can trash this continent all you like, see if I give a damn, lol.
    The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge. Neither love without knowledge, nor knowledge without love can produce a good life. - Bertrand Russell
    A herring's blog
    Johari / Nohari

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

German internal security ministry said that 99% of the troubles caused by political parties in 2009 were caused by left-wingers, which is a completly new development.

So that means to be a right-winger will be cool again, no ?

No wait, that all doesnt really work

MBTI
    ENFJ

1.If that should be the case, it is because of the dark legacy of colonialism for which Europe still hasn´t taken full responsibility. I´m the first to criticize that..
    Then why not everyone speak Chinese? There's already a billion speakers and I hear it's not as difficult.

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

My girlfriend tried to learn it, next to french at University. But then she went for becoming a nurse, cause she lacked the money for her education

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    Then why not everyone speak Chinese? There's already a billion speakers and I hear it's not as difficult.
    That´s not what I heard. Talking a few sentences, yes, but not read and write and use it for business communication, etc. A friend tried it and threw the towel, and he was very gifted at languages. In a few decades we all might learn Chinese. I once saw a German businessman in the Frankfurt subway read a Chinese childrens book to his little daughter of about 3 years of age,.. so there you have it.

Until then I can only answer what a wise Sinology professor here at Heidelberg tells his students: It takes a gifted Chinese student less than half the time to learn English or German that it takes a gifted European student to learn Chinese. If you grow up with the Chinese system it´s fine (although there are reasons for the reform movements within Chinese linguistics), but apparently it is much easier to learn the other way round.
    A herring's blog
    Johari / Nohari