User Tag List

First 34567 Last

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Stol11 View Post
    The answer to this question is why would anyone learn French? I admire France and like the people, but the language is next to useless. It is a massive chip on the shoulder of every Frenchman that leads to the current state of arrogant deluded self-importance in terms of language. I can think of lots of languages that are more useful, Chinese, Arabic, Spanish even Russian and American, as I don't acknowledge current US English as real English.

Who speaks French apart from France, half of Belgium a Third of Switzerland, swathes of sparsely populated Saharan and sub-Saharan Africa and a few Caribbean islands.
    and me ! At least we can communicate in body language
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

Supreme Allied Commander Take Five's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

The answer to this question is why would anyone learn French? I admire France and like the people, but the language is next to useless. It is a massive chip on the shoulder of every Frenchman that leads to the current state of arrogant deluded self-importance in terms of language. I can think of lots of languages that are more useful, Chinese, Arabic, Spanish even Russian and American, as I don't acknowledge current US English as real English.

Who speaks French apart from France, half of Belgium a Third of Switzerland, swathes of sparsely populated Saharan and sub-Saharan Africa and a few Caribbean islands.
    You've got a chip on your shoulder about English it seems though. French is actually pretty useful, especially for native English speakers, since many words and expressions have roots in French. Also, directions and manuals for products almost always include French for an option. I'm not saying French should be the world language, but which language is appropriate to learn depends on what you want to do with your life.
    Johari Nohari

"If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. "--Niccolo Machiavelli

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

An intresting thing about other languages is that by learning it it will tell you something about yourself too. It's like incredible to learn latin, latin's even like the perfect business language, cause you can just by changing one letter in a word give a whole sentence a completly different meaning.

French is probably the closest of all european languages to Latin still and they have completly different ways to talk about certain things or phrase certain things.

To me it is, when you are intrested in understanding yourself, you gotta understand your language and having another language for comparism is integral to understanding your own.

MBTI
    ENTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Take Five View Post
    rampant underlying and ignored racism
    less and slower self-criticism
    arrogant sense of cultural superiority
    paralyzing social safety nets
    EU structure is too convoluted and opaque
    not enough backbone
    in some ways ignores security, preferring other things like privacy, and only takes global responsibility in pretending to be generous to the third world
    always thinks it has the solution to every problem in america
    kinda hard to find bagels in grocery stores
    less milk than USA
    roads less navigable and more confusing
    What underlying and ignored Racism, coming from the USA?

Self Criticism! How on earth can you say that when Europeans who are
    experts Self deprecation. I live in a country, that although i admire the history, is not exactly wonderful..

Those 'paralysing social safety nets' I persume you mean a degree of social welfare. Rather than leaving people to die in the streets.

EU structure is too convoluted i'll give you that one, although It should be reformed

Backbone? In terms of war, there is not a province in Europe not touched by the blood of some war or another. usually on the most flimsy of pretexts. Its just that we THINK before taking a monumentous act like going to war, and actually have respect for international bodies. American ''Backbone'' has led to no end of trouble

Ignoring security! what rubbish, just because Europeans don't sanction torture and illegal prisons? Security in the UK is far to tight at the moment, we live in a complete surveillance state. Also the problem is we think every solution is FROM America! Thats why our country is in such a bad state

Bagels are available everywhere, thats due to the unfortunate nature of having everything Americanised.

Maybe less milk but better cheese, American cheese is appauling.

Roads less navigable? maybe for an American, you are used to big empty roads thanks to an abundance of space. Also most towns in Europe were built before the onset of major road networks

MBTI
    ENTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Take Five View Post
    You've got a chip on your shoulder about English it seems though. French is actually pretty useful, especially for native English speakers, since many words and expressions have roots in French. Also, directions and manuals for products almost always include French for an option. I'm not saying French should be the world language, but which language is appropriate to learn depends on what you want to do with your life.
    No your quite right, I was only having a little dig. Many French are extremly protective over their language, thats why I said it. I was also not saying that English is and should be the world language. I was merely pointing out others that you could argue have more utility.

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by entropie View Post
    Yea I know it sucks for greek workers, they are the ones to suffer most.

But Greece has faked their etat for some years and the rich greek minority is sailing in their yachts under the british flag, cause there they have to pay lesser taxes.

there's a lot of corruption involved in that one and the contract of Maastricht stated that no european country must be held responsible, if another goes bankrupt, yet you see what happens to the euro cause the banks are all connected.

Hey I am not against Europe, I like to rescue the whole world, but I am earning less than Greek workers, I pay 60% of my wager in taxes and these gonna rise again in financial crysis part II. The money they want to take away now from parents with newborn childs makes it impossible to finance kids at all and its all connected to greedy banks and corruption in the highest levels in Greece too.
    Ok but my point is not that Germans should rescue the whole world.

The reasons the German government bailed out the Greek government is because 1.) Greece owes money to German banks and 2.) financial speculators were attacking the Euro. They did it for their own interest.

We're all getting attacked together here, Greek workers, German workers, British, American, Mexican, Japanese, whatever. This used to be a thing only far-leftists like myself would say, but now anyone can see it.

German capitalists bail out Greek capitalists and make German and Greek workers pay the cost, and then they try to get German workers to blame Greek workers for being lazy.

But economic crashes have nothing to do with people being lazy. British workers work longer hours than French workers but the British economy is in more danger than the French economy. American workers have been working longer hours and making ever greater profits for their bosses since the end of the 1970's, but this has only led to the worst crash since the 1930's.

Economic crises are inherent to capitalism a system , not the laziness of workers.
    "Of course we spent our money in the good times. That's what you're supposed to do in good times! You can't save money in the good times. Then they wouldn't be good times, they'd be 'preparation for the bad times' times."

"Every country in the world owes money. Everyone. So heere's what I dont get: who do they all owe it to, and why don't we just kill the bastard and relax?"

-Tommy Tiernan, Irish comedian.

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by tcda View Post
    Ok but my point is not that Germans should rescue the whole world.

The reasons the German government bailed out the Greek government is because 1.) Greece owes money to German banks and 2.) financial speculators were attacking the Euro. They did it for their own interest.

We're all getting attacked together here, Greek workers, German workers, British, American, Mexican, Japanese, whatever. This used to be a thing only far-leftists like myself would say, but now anyone can see it.

German capitalists bail out Greek capitalists and make German and Greek workers pay the cost, and then they try to get German workers to blame Greek workers for being lazy.

But economic crashes have nothing to do with people being lazy. British workers work longer hours than French workers but the British economy is in more danger than the French economy. American workers have been working longer hours and making ever greater profits for their bosses since the end of the 1970's, but this has only led to the worst crash since the 1930's.

Economic crises are inherent to capitalism a system , not the laziness of workers.
    Ya you're right. The press lately used the situation in Greece as a scapegoat for the accumulated rage that has built up since this whole world crisis started. I dont want to fall victim to the boulevard press.

I rather poke some americans, they said they can cope better with discrimination than europeans, lets find out

MBTI
    ENFJ

And this! I hate the language bitch-fights Europeans have, it's really a stupid thing to do, you know? You guys could like rule the world if it weren't for all this pettiness.

Petty, that's the way I'd describe Europeans, if I only had one word.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

How could one get from petty to petting with you ?

Phantonym

Oh, this thread smells like WW III.