User Tag List

First 3111213

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Saint Kat View Post
    Dutch people speak English. Yes, we do make totally ignorant mistakes sometimes ("How late is it?", "Have you it cold?", "May I thank your cock for the lovely dinner", "How do you do and how do you do your wife?", "All crazyness on a stick", etc) but does it matter? We understand you!
    It's been my experience that the Dutch speak excellent English... the several times I've been to Amsterdam, I don't think I've once encountered someone who didn't speak English, and many times with barely an accent!

Gotta catch you all! Blackmail!'s Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

Dutch people speak English. Yes, we do make totally ignorant mistakes sometimes ("How late is it?", "Have you it cold?", "May I thank your cock for the lovely dinner", "How do you do and how do you do your wife?", "All crazyness on a stick", etc) but does it matter? We understand you!
    Well, when you're a francophone, not speaking Dutch when you're in Belgian Flanders can get you into real trouble. Flemish people are extremely proud, and they suffer from a deep inferiority complex towards any native French speaker.
    So basically, if you address them directly in French, some of them may just punch you in the face or get extremely hostile, I've witnessed it several times with a few unfortunate friends. The Flemish far right is the strongest in Europe, and even their "moderate right" (which have won their recent election) is fiercely nationalistic compared to ours. Their hate of everything that is speaking French (or sometimes just a foreign language) has already led to absurd, surrealistic discriminatory laws they're the only one in Europe to possess. Of course, there are genuine historical reasons behind this hate, but nonetheless, it's a pity it goes so far, even in 2010.

But yes, when you're in Netherlands, people usually don't have this bigoted, xenophobic attitude, are most of the time multilingual and are very easy to approach. Fact is, I have some family in Amsterdam and Haarlem, and I like the language.
    Plus visiting Flanders is interesting nonetheless, and I have some Flemish friends in Brussels and Gent, friends I respect and hence, don't want to disappoint.
    "A man who only drinks water has a secret to hide from his fellow-men" -Baudelaire

7w8 SCUxI

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6

Actually, I like "All crazyness on a stick." I think I'll start using it myself.
    Don't make whine out of sour grapes.

MBTI
    ENTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Blackmail! View Post
    Well, there's no language fight here. Have you seen one?

Only an English provocateur with limited skill and imagination tried to initiate one, one who seems to project his own "arrogant deluded self-importance" unto others. In every thread you're doomed to find an obnoxious troll, and most of the time it's best to ignore them. I'm not suprized he even dared to use the term "Nazi" when he refered to German culture (nobody here did even think to it). He certainly prefers der alte Fritz or other militaristic figure -another cliché-, but I prefer Kant and Leibnitz. Clearly, we do not have the same references nor the same kind of culture, and I'm sorry for him if he seems to take every hateful cliché conveyed by the British popular press for granted (=England is still the center of the civilized world, Americans are uneducated morons, Germans are militaristic, Frenchmen are too proud of their language... etc...).

Why should we learn a foreign language? If I could, I would also try Dutch and Italian, since I already have notions. And whoever asking "why?" is simply an imbecile, since the answer is "because I like it", and "because I appreciate the culture and the country of my respected European neighbours".

Besides, it's way more useful to know Dutch, German or Italian when you live in Europe and travel frequently there rather than Chinese, Arabic or Hindi. It's a no-brainer!

Touched a nerve there. Well I will apologise, you didn't need to take me so seriously. I have already said I have a great respect for France and the French people, If not the language (joke). Also when on earth did I talk about German culture being ''Nazi''. If you actually go back and read, I was attacking that very ignorant of assertions, as the previous German poster had complained that that was their experience when meeting people. Clearly someone else can be just as quick to type rash and 'unskilled' comments.

I may also point out that my avatar is of a German (admittedly one who succeeded to the British crown). I am also not limited to appreciating military figures (which you seem to have assumed, yet again showing your own narrow-mindedness) anyone can claim to be intellectually superior by liking Kant or Hegel or Nietzsche. I'm not trying to score points. I said i liked Frederick the Great, who was not just a military leader but a truly enlightened figure in many ways, he certainly had an intellectual curiosity for science and philosophy which I find appealing. One of his first acts in 1740 was to write his 'Anti-Machiavel'.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    That's actually not true. If you read accounts of Europe prior to WWI, you get a picture that parallels to the one we see now. There was free trade across the continent, travel was easy without passports, and cultural exchanges were free as well. Not to mention there were no wars since 1870, except in the Balkans. And yet that all crashed and burned in 1914.

Even going back to the 18th century, you had Rousseau making this proclamation:

"Today, no matter what people may say, there are no longer any Frenchmen, Germans, Spaniards, or even Englishmen; there are only Europeans. All have the same tastes, the same passions, the same manners, for no one has been shaped along national lines by peculiar institutions. All, in the same circumstances, will do the same things; all will call themselves unselfish, and be rascals; all will talk of the public welfare, and think only of themselves; all will praise moderation, and wish to be as rich as Croesus. They have no ambition but for luxury, they have no passion but for gold; sure that money will buy them all their hearts desire, they all are ready to sell themselves to the first bidder. What do they care what master they obey, under the laws of what state they live? Provided they can find money to steal and women to corrupt, they feel at home in any country."
    -Considerations on the Government of Poland

So the idea that Europe is coming together seems to appear every generation or so, and every generation it crashes and burns once events start to show how different Europeans still are.
    1914 - 1870 = 44 years

2010 - 1945 = 65 years

one generation = approx 27-30 years

FAIL
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

Sniffles

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    1914 - 1870 = 44 years

2010 - 1945 = 65 years

one generation = approx 27-30 years

FAIL
    You never answered my question, what front did the Germans not have to bail your assses out?

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

Like Europe was going to start another World War with the U.S. and Soviet Union more than ready to turn the entire continent into ashes.

MBTI
    GONE

What I hate about Spain - Iberia Air "Come fly the unfriendly, circa Franco skies"

Also, the old racist white people. And how my name de facto becomes "China". And the bastard ill-mannered children.

Otherwise, love Spain.
    “If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

"I'm outtie 5000" ― Romulux

Johari/Nohari