User Tag List

12311 Last

Results 1 to 10 of 117

  1. #1

    Default You are what you read?

    Do you ever pass judgement on someone based on what they read or would recommend as a good read?

    I've found myself doing that when I see friends bookshelves, I tend to think that maybe they are telling a story about themselves by the books they choose to display but perhaps I've softened as I've grown older because I'm now more inclined to consider them a talking point than to prejudge anyone, apart from when I find out they are a fan of Ayn Rand.

  2. #2
    Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx
    Posts
    9,422

    Default

    I am Conan the Barbarian!

    I don't read much, but when I read, it's epic fantasy. Whilest my real self is actually quite the opposite. So I don't know how someone could judge me, solely from the books I've read.
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

  3. #3
    Senor Membrane
    Join Date
    May 2008
    MBTI
    INFP
    Posts
    3,190

    Default

    One of the wisest people I've met has filled her shelves with poorly written novels. I think they just somehow feed her imagination. A couple of times I have picked one of her books randomly and read it. It was painful. I don't see what she sees in them.

  4. #4
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    18,524

    It shows on your face.

    They say if you don't read for two days, it shows on your face.

    So of course we become what we read, and just as the bread becomes the body, we transubstantiate into what we read.

    And so, we must be very careful what we read. For just as what we eat, walks and talks tomorrow, what we read, on the morrow, guides our very thoughts.

    So just as we need a varied diet of tucker, we need a varied diet of books.

    It's alimentary, my dear reader.

    We find a delicious book, we fall in love, and read it from cover to cover. Then we digest it. We think about it. We even find faults in it. We compare it to other books and before long we are starting to fall out of love. We are starting to become disillusioned.

    And the only cure for disillusionment is another illusion. So we fall in love again with the next pretty book that comes along.

    So we are constantly falling in and out of love with whatever book comes along. And so we find nourishment for our soul.

  5. #5
    Babylon Candle Venom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9 sp/sx
    Posts
    2,128

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    Do you ever pass judgement on someone based on what they read or would recommend as a good read?

    I've found myself doing that when I see friends bookshelves, I tend to think that maybe they are telling a story about themselves by the books they choose to display but perhaps I've softened as I've grown older because I'm now more inclined to consider them a talking point than to prejudge anyone, apart from when I find out they are a fan of Ayn Rand.
    1. I too immediately downgrade people when I learn they are a fans of ayn rand

    2. Its for this very reason of "what books you display tells a story about yourself", that I've never ever once ever considered adding anything under the books section on facebook . If people interpreted the books I read as who I am, well then I'm not sure anyone would talk to me . I like to skim controversial books for their main points, and so I hardly ever finish a book and think, "I agree with everything in here!" and thus I would feel so weird to ever display such a book in my house.

    maybe I could include a disclaimer that says: The inhabitants of this household do not deny or endorse any of the views or opinions of these books.

  6. #6
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Posts
    3,278

    Default

    Judge someone by what they read??? not really..

    The way I see it.. If you read, it requires imagination, patience, language skills and analytical skills. even if you are reading romance novels.

    I would be more inclined to judge someone by if they read or not..
    But it would not be a serious judgment either way.

  7. #7
    Senior Member Lacey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx
    Posts
    401

    Default

    I think judging someone based on the books they read is about as stupid as judging them by the music they listen to.

  8. #8
    Kraken down on piracy Lux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    1,527

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by No Exit View Post
    Judge someone by what they read??? not really..

    The way I see it.. If you read, it requires imagination, patience, language skills and analytical skills. even if you are reading romance novels.

    I would be more inclined to judge someone by if they read or not..
    But it would not be a serious judgment either way.
    This.

    I have thousands of books in my house, on a myriad of subjects, if one were to only look at some of the titles and make assumptions, they would think I enjoy, say for example, building ships, which in reality, I do not enjoy at all. That is just silly to me.

    How do they know whether I liked the book or not, or whether it was a gift, or how close to my heart it really is? There are many variables in the literature a person has or reads.
    "It is not length of life, but depth of life." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

    "Thought breeds thought." ~ Henry David Thoreau

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lacey View Post
    I think judging someone based on the books they read is about as stupid as judging them by the music they listen to.
    High Fidelity was by extention a very stupid film.

  10. #10
    The elder Holmes Mycroft's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sp
    Posts
    1,080

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    They say if you don't read for two days, it shows on your face.

    So of course we become what we read, and just as the bread becomes the body, we are transubstantiated into what we read.
    And our individual characters determine what we choose to read in the first place.

    We are all just snowballs, rolling down a hill.
    Dost thou love Life? Then do not squander Time; for that's the Stuff Life is made of.

    -- Benjamin Franklin, Poor Richard's Almanack, June 1746 --

Similar Threads

  1. What blogs do you read?
    By wolfy in forum Arts & Entertainment
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 05-29-2009, 04:02 PM
  2. What's you read:post ratio?
    By ajblaise in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 10-05-2008, 01:59 AM
  3. BBC: You Are What You Eat
    By Bella in forum Arts & Entertainment
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-01-2008, 11:24 PM
  4. You are what you eat?
    By ThatGirl in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 08-11-2008, 01:10 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO