User Tag List

First 7891011 Last

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Default You are what you read

To what extent, if at all, do you agree with the title of the thread? Do you judge others by their libraries or have any interest in what they choose to read or choose to display as books they own and have read?

MBTI
    XNXP
    Enneagram
    OMG sx
    Socionics
    iuno

i agree t an extent, but as long as you keep yourself grounded you should be fine. I used to read a bit of infowars.com, but never much... all the hate and fearmongering is a turn off for me... and the majority of the people reading it aer negative im sure. Horrible news source. I hate that website now
    1+1=3 OMFG

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I don't think we are what we read at all.
    Instead, I would say that we are whatever we choose to do and say, as well as why we choose to do and say those things.

Books are just information.
    What we do with that information -- even the books we choose -- are already based on what we are. They're self-selecting.
    I also don't think someone is an intellectual just because they read academic materials; it matters as to how they process and act upon that information.

Different people can read the same book and come away with opposite ideas and come away as polar opposites.
    For example, someone who is a bigot can read a book espousing anti-bigot ideas and will still hold to her bigotry, perhaps even more fervently. Meanwhile, someone else who seemed to be a bigot and who is influenced by the book to be less of a bigot already had anti-bigot leanings and the book just helped those inclinations crystalize.
    Knowledge just triggers inclinations that already existed.

All that being said, books that someone keeps in their house (and especially is willing to leave out to be seen) say something about their personality and what sort of topics that they find interesting. So I do skim people's bookshelves when I visit them and/or meet them for the first time; it gives me a sense of what they think about and what topics they can comment on with more detail.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    yupp

I'm reading American Gods right now, judge me based on that. go ahead, I'm being completely serious
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    To what extent, if at all, do you agree with the title of the thread? Do you judge others by their libraries or have any interest in what they choose to read or choose to display as books they own and have read?
    I only judge to the extent that if they have a large library, they probably love to read, value books highly or want to be seen as intelligent.
    INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne

MBTI
    yupp

Quote Originally Posted by SuchIrony View Post
    I only judge to the extent that if they have a large library, they probably love to read, value books highly or want to be seen as intelligent.
    I have a large library I have a habit of starting books and going ooooh pretty to a new bookand forgetting the other book i have like ten books that have book marks in them that i have to restart because I haven't read them in a long time, i'm determined to finish american gods before going ooooh pretty
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

lab rat extraordinaire CrystalViolet's Avatar
    MBTI
    XNFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Having books at all, is a pretty good start IMHO. Apart from the joy of sex, Karma sutra....If they happen to be in the collection, all is good. Those sort of books by themselves, not so good.
    Also owning only HP and/or twilight...not so good either. Unless you are a ten year old girl.
    Okay, some people may have converted to kindles and other e-readers....so that may be a little deceptive these days, but it disturbs me enormously how many people never pick up a book after they leave school. If I ever have kids, I'm enormously looking forward to teaching them the joy of reading.
    Currently submerged under an avalanche of books and paper work. I may come back up for air from time to time.
    Real life awaits and she is a demanding mistress.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    649 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI

Interesting idea. I really don't know if it would describe me though.

I read manga extensively, however I read classics such as Dracula and War And Peace (Yes, I actually read it...(Honestly!)) as well.

So what would that that make me? Confused I guess...

Then again, you could view it as what you read being a reflection of who you are rather than you being what you read...

And now I'm confusing myself again...

The Halfway House

When they taught me to read, they didn't tell me I wouldn't be able to stop. I am so addicted to print that I even read the back of the cornflakes packet over breakfast.

However I stopped reading novels, and instead I started reading biographies. Then I stopped reading biographies and found I had run out of books to read. And so then I started reading electronic print (eprint), such as we are reading now. So I am reading eprint and regard myself in recovery from print. You might say eprint is my methodone to the heroin of print.

My hope is to give up my addiction to print, and communicate by electronic video (evideo). In other words I hope to give up print and converse on Youtube or Seemic in video only.

In the meantime, I am in this halfway house with you - halfway between print and the freedom of the electron.

Scream down the boulevard LadyJaye's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by CrystalViolet View Post
    Having books at all, is a pretty good start IMHO. Apart from the joy of sex, Karma sutra....If they happen to be in the collection, all is good. Those sort of books by themselves, not so good.
    Also owning only HP and/or twilight...not so good either. Unless you are a ten year old girl. Okay, some people may have converted to kindles and other e-readers....so that may be a little deceptive these days, but it disturbs me enormously how many people never pick up a book after they leave school. If I ever have kids, I'm enormously looking forward to teaching them the joy of reading.

I think I may love you, woman.

I have a giant pile of books, and I'm grateful for the authors who created these stories/people/worlds for me to delve into whenever I need them. There's no equivalent for holding a paper book in your hands. At least, not for me. The tactile experience is necessary for me. For some reason, an computer/kindle screen disturbs my zen state.

I think the books I choose definitely reflect my internal state. I can't invite just anyone's thoughts to come parading around in my mind - I have to be very selective. Words are so powerful, and they can traumatize me if I'm ambushed with something.
    7w6 so/sx

" The bird of paradise alights only on the hand that does not grasp." - John Berry