First 45678 Last

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    Do you ever pass judgement on someone based on what they read or would recommend as a good read?
    No. I read some pretty heavy stuff. Then I also like People and In Touch, so I'd be nobody to criticize.

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

Default Tome

Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    So I'm just a bunch a large collection of tomes I guess.
    At school one of my class mates was Adrian Tome. And Tome had a fascination for the history of the Ancient world. So on Saturday mornings, at Atheneum, where we learnt to entertain ourselves, Tome would expatiate.

Tome was socially inept and uncoordinated but he shone in the Ancient world.

Tome brought the tomes to life.

Sniffles

I don't care Victor.

MBTI
    NICE

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    At school one of my class mates was Adrian Tome. And Tome had a fascination for the history of the Ancient world. So on Saturday mornings, at Atheneum, where we learnt to entertain ourselves, Tome would expatiate.

Tome was socially inept and uncoordinated but he shone in the Ancient world.

Tome brought the tomes to life.

MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    According the information I have, the majority of Scots who emigrated to the thirteen colonies came as free laborers. From London indenture forms for 1683-86 out of 1,701 indentured servants, 91.7 percent were from England, 2.4 from Scotland, 1.3 from Wales, 1.1 from Ireland. Scottish Emigration to Colonial America 1607-1785 by David Dobson.

in 1773-76 only one percent of Scotish border and twenty percent of Northern English emigrants came as indentured servants.

Irish and Scottish servants were seen as too prideful and troublesome for British Americans to deal with and Irish indentures were more likely to go to Barbados than the 13 colonies. Source: Voyages to the West, 1773-76
    Bernard Bailyn.

Fifteen percent of the Scottish emigrants to America in the 18th C were indentures. Most Scottish who emigrated to America were tradesmen, a very small number of them common laborers forced out by industrialization. Source: The Scottish settlers of America: the 17th and 18th centuries By Stephen M. Millett

But I know you can find textbooks claiming that one half of all Scottish Emigrants to America on the eve of the Revolution were indentures. I'd feel more comfortable believing the historians who specialize in that topic than a textbook though.

And its confusing because a disproportinate number of those Scottish who were indeuntures did settle in the Carlolinas, it makes their numbers look inflated.
    There's no such thing as an accurate history. It's always colored with whatever the personal politics of the writer are. Including my own.

heart on fire

Quote Originally Posted by onemoretime View Post
    There's no such thing as an accurate history. It's always colored with whatever the personal politics of the writer are. Including my own.
    This is the easy answer when faced with the complexity of the issue. And it's further complicated by people mistaking various items of journalism, propaganda and polemic with items of real historical scholarship that are based original sources and challenged and cross checked within the field of history.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    2w3

Generally I will read anything. My shelves are filled with hundreds of books, some of them I really like, and others I dislike, but each one has given me something.
    Even the books that I completely disagree with have given me something to think about. Whether they make me question what I believe, or just reinforce what I believe, they open my mind to other possibilities.
    I don't judge people based on what they read, or what books they keep. It may just be because I do not wish to be judged on what I read- but you never know why someone has or likes the books they have. Only after discussing the books in question do I even consider using the book to create a more complete picture of who they are.

MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE

This is the easy answer when faced with the complexity of the issue. And it's further complicated by people mistaking various items of journalism, propaganda and polemic with items of real historical scholarship that are based original sources and challenged and cross checked within the field of history.
    The victors write history. Something is only objective if it's repeatable under the same conditions. History obviously is not. Therefore, all history is subjective, even if subject to heavy scrutiny.

How many of those records were actually written by lower-class Scotch-Irish?

heart on fire

Quote Originally Posted by onemoretime View Post
    The victors write history. Something is only objective if it's repeatable under the same conditions. History obviously is not. Therefore, all history is subjective, even if subject to heavy scrutiny.

How many of those records were actually written by lower-class Scotch-Irish?
    If they were indentured servants, then they were a commodity worth cold hard cash and very important. Merchants and plantation holders would have little reason to doctor their business records to suit politicians. There would be records to keep track of them. The poor were the poor, powerless in those times, there was no reason to try and whitewash where the poor Scots and Irish were going in those times. Many more poor English became indentured servants it was simply seen as the way things were for the poor.

More Scottish indentured servants came to America in the 17th C than the 18th C. This is what careful analysis of the records of the times shows.

MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE

If they were indentured servants, then they were a commodity worth cold hard cash and very important. Merchants and plantation holders would have little reason to doctor their business records to suit politicians. There would be records to keep track of them. The poor were the poor, powerless in those times, there was no reason to try and whitewash where the poor Scots and Irish were going in those times. Many more poor English became indentured servants it was simply seen as the way things were for the poor.

More Scottish indentured servants came to America in the 17th C than the 18th C. This is what careful analysis of the records of the times shows.
    Indentures were not chattels. It would be more lucrative not to mention the indenture because while not a chattel, it was still a transaction and taxable. Besides, for these exact reasons, hiring someone into a leasehold tenancy became far more profitable. These people were nominally "free". They were in reality anything but.