User Tag List

First 23456 Last

heart on fire

This is an example of what I'd consider history: Amazon.com: Mobility and Migration: East Anglian Founders of New England, 1629-1640 (9780870238932): Roger Thompson: Books

If you want an opinion on a particular historian who studies WWII, Peguy is best suited to give an opinion. It's outside of my period of concentration.

Migration? Hmm, I was interested in geneology and irish migration, I read all of tim pat coogans stuff

heart on fire

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    Migration? Hmm, I was interested in geneology and irish migration, I read all of tim pat coogans stuff
    If you are more interested in Irish migration in that same the colonial period, you'd probably like this book better: Albion's Seed: Four British Folkways ... - Google Books

Edit, btw I am not saying people have to go really deep, just go deeper than History channel and coffee table books or works of journalism before you start trying to act like you know history, lol.

Sniffles

Most Irish emigrants at that time were Ulster Scotch-Irish no?

Gotta catch you all! Blackmail!'s Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    Do you ever pass judgement on someone based on what they read or would recommend as a good read?
    Yes.

I've found myself doing that when I see friends bookshelves, I tend to think that maybe they are telling a story about themselves by the books they choose to display but perhaps I've softened as I've grown older because I'm now more inclined to consider them a talking point than to prejudge anyone, apart from when I find out they are a fan of Ayn Rand.
    I often judge people according to what I see in their bookshelves, but only after having asked a few questions about those books. If it's a fake or a real knowledge, it's easy to notice.
    I'm not doing that because I want to judge them, but because I'm curious, and always eager to find an interesting book somewhere, a new author worth my attention.

---

Anyway.

In my family, we all live in environments crowded with books. Books everywhere. Serious books.
    The same situation occurs in my flat. When I work I need so many books and references at once they often end scattered everywhere. On my desk, near my sofa or my bed, on the floor, in my kitchen, in my bathroom... Dozens of carefully selected books, and books I've inherited from my family: It's a real mess.
    "A man who only drinks water has a secret to hide from his fellow-men" -Baudelaire

7w8 SCUxI

heart on fire

Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    Yes, I'd recommend Voyages to The West by Bernard Bailyn.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    ?
    Socionics
    ?

for a long time all I read was stephen king books.

i dont know why.

now i like to read books about metaphysics and philosophy and psychology.

but those are things i like to learn about now

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

I generally judge people more based on what music they listen to.

However, if they like books that I like, or books by people I like, I like them more for it. And if they like books that send a terrible message, or are by people I hate (personally), then I, at first, dislike them a lot more, but if they prove themselves to be nicer than the books they read, then I'll often forgive them, and just pretend like those topics don't exist when I talk to them.
    ~ g e t f e s t i v e ! ~

EJCC: "The Big Questions in my life right now: 1) What am I willing to live with? 2) What do I have to live with? 3) What can I change for the better?"
    Coriolis: "Is that the ESTJ Serenity Prayer?"

ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    want to ask me something? go for it!

Lay the coin on my tongue SilkRoad's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

I am an incredibly voracious reader, and I work in publishing, and I do think I have a good eye for good writing. I might...judge people a teeny teeny tiny bit if they have what I consider bad taste in books. But if they're good people otherwise, not really

The fact is, while my tastes tend to be pretty literary (I also love poetry, including contemporary poetry, which seems to be rare) I can see that light reading has its place. I even enjoy it occasionally. But I HATE bad writing. I find it incredibly sloppy and distracting and maybe even laughable. And even if something is definitely "light reading", I think it can be well written for its genre.

I think Dan Brown is a horrid writer. But it's not just because he writes thrillers with silly premises. For instance, I think Michael Crichton's books often fall under that category, BUT for the most part they were well written - for their genre. Dan Brown is just a lousy writer any way you slice it. Even worse than Dan Brown is James Redfield, author of The Celestine Prophecy. I disagree with his spiritual views (which are kind of the whole point of the book), but he is just a terrible terrible writer beyond that. I can find something to appreciate if I really disagree with someone's views but they are well presented, convincingly argued, argued with conviction, etc. I might judge someone a bit if I saw Redfield's books on their shelf

EDIT: By the way, I should add that I WILL judge someone (to a certain extent) if they say proudly that they never read, haven't read a book since high school, etc.
    Female
    INFJ
    Enneagram 6w5 sp/sx

I DOORSLAMMING

Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    Scots-Irish would be accurate, I dont know if they were all from Ulster or not, Ulster was the main planted region of Ireland and it was mainly elements of the Scottish disaporia who had been stopping off there.

Its a complicated picture because persecuted scots RCs left for Ireland the islands after the highlanders were defeated at Cullodeen (although most of them were killed and some became "wild geese" like the Irish after the Williamite wars joining foreign armies who promised to provide opportunities to "kill the english").

At another time it were persecuted protestants, particularly covenantors, dissenters or presbytarians who left Scotland (with grievances against RCs and the established Churches, to carve a niche in Ireland, generally by killing or assimilating the natives).

Given the vicious sectarianism and constant fighting or terror its not a wonder that people were constantly on the to some place were they wouldnt be someone elses bitch, unfortunately they werent beneath making other people their bitches when they got there.

The idea of Ulster-Scots is an invention of people who associate all things Irish with Roman Catholicism, the Ulsterisation of Northern Ireland's protestants didnt happen until after partition.