User Tag List

First 12345 Last

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5/8
    Socionics
    ENTp None

Well, then I'm Christopher Hitchens and Richard Dawkins.

brainheart

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    but perhaps I've softened as I've grown older because I'm now more inclined to consider them a talking point than to prejudge anyone, apart from when I find out they are a fan of Ayn Rand.
    In my novel I'm working on my protagonist fantasizes for multiple pages about going back in time and dropping Ayn Rand somewhere in the midst of a vast desert so the world will be spared of her and he'll never have to read another word of hers or hear anyone speak of her ever again.

But yes, I know what you mean. It's the same with records/cds, etc. The display of collections is a way of saying who you 'really' are without words. I think it speaks... (oh boy)... volumes.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILE None

Quote Originally Posted by Babylon Candle View Post
    Maybe it could be a revolving or removable cover system? like with a 10 x 10 sliding visual deception that in a flash changes what books it looks like you have read

Like when the grandparents are over you have the Reagan biographies. If you had a kid with a creeper bf you could have it show self help books (to drive him away). etc etc etc....
    This is going to be SO awesome

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

for a long while i actually assumed people who read twilight post-media coverage explosion where mentally handicapped.
    my etsy Morphochroma

I know you think I'm crazy,
    but most people they can't tell.

Do you ever pass judgement on someone based on what they read or would recommend as a good read?
    I don't usually, though if I know for a fact that the person is very picky on what they read, I will consider the books in their bookshelves as a tale about what are their priorities and tastes.

I will form more of an opinion when I know that a person favours a specific genre, ie, science fiction, poetry, fantasy, whatever.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILE None

Quote Originally Posted by mr.awesome View Post
    for a long while i actually assumed people who read twilight post-media coverage explosion where mentally handicapped.
    It's not that you stopped thinking about it that they're not mentally handicaped anymore

heart on fire

Do you ever pass judgement on someone based on what they read or would recommend as a good read?
    No. I can't stand people who are reading snobs. Seriously, this is one of my major pet peeves. So what if a person likes to read fluffy stuff for their lesuire time pleasure? It doesn't make you superior because you don't.

I never think the same again about someone who reveals themselves to be a snob about reading materials. So that's a form of my own judgment I suppose.

To be honest though, I do pass judgment on what they wouldn't read. If a person would NEVER read something higher/deeper to educate themselves then yes, I'd lose regard for them.

** Mostly I reserve this contempt for those who will not study history above a history channel level of pop history pap and yet think they are "experts" on not only history but the study of history itself as a topic.

Sniffles

Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    To be honest though, I do pass judgment on what they wouldn't read. If a person would NEVER read something higher/deeper to educate themselves then yes, I'd lose regard for them.

** Mostly I reserve this contempt for those who will not study history above a history channel level of pop history pap and yet think they are "experts" on not only history but the study of history itself as a topic.
    +1 here. There's unfortunately a proliferation of rather third-rate work out there, so it's unsurprising to me that many people are unaware of more in-depth work out there. It's often an issue of people not knowing where to look as opposed to them deliberately trying to avoid it.

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

What do you guys consider more in depth in terms of history? I mean would you rate Anthony Beevor for instance?

I first heard the expression you are what you read in relation to Claire Wolfe, she wrote a book popular with the militia movement but she was talking herself about the popularity of some media sources to comment on peoples reading habits as proof of fanaticism like linking readng the turner diaries with bombings.

If someone has their shelves crammed with extremist literature and its also fufilling a display purpose I think you can tell something about them, a Guardian journalist who interviewed the author of the Turner Diaries commented on the fact that the guy had Mein Kampf and Man and Superman prominantly displayed on his book shelf but then I think the guy, the author, might have mentioned it to him first.

Sniffles

What do you guys consider more in depth in terms of history? I mean would you rate Anthony Beevor for instance?
    I generally like his work, and how it focuses on the human elements of the Second World War and recreates what happened in a highly readable fashion. In-depth does not necessarily have to mean pedantic.