User Tag List

First 9101112 Last

Ginkgo

People's bodies respond to foods, medications, and the rest of the environment in ways very relative to how their bodies work. In a similar vein, people's minds digest information relative to the way their minds work. What one really wants, and what compels someone is probably the most fundamental psychological force to be considered. Basically, people see and hear what they want to hear. Not that there isn't an external force playing along.

There have been times I leaped to a dreadful conclusion and realized that some part of me willed that assumption to take hold of me. I backtracked and did some hardcore introspection as to why I would want that.

MBTI
    INTP

you are what you read
    I am the Lord of the Rings

Quote Originally Posted by 93JC View Post
    I'm always interested about what's in peoples libraries but I dont leap to wild conclusions about them on that basis.
    Do you ever pass judgement on someone based on what they read or would recommend as a good read?

I've found myself doing that when I see friends bookshelves,

Lame. Very lame.

Quote Originally Posted by Beargryllz View Post
    I am the Lord of the Rings
    I am, "Wind in the Willows".

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    I am, "Wind in the Willows".
    Do you identify with any of the characters?

I have a special place in my heart for Thomas Hardy's Tess of the D'Urbervilles. I think Tess speaks to a fading part of my identity.
    "The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things." - Rainer Maria Rilke

Quote Originally Posted by iwakar View Post
    Do you identify with any of the characters?

I have a special place in my heart for Thomas Hardy's Tess of the D'Urbervilles. I think Tess speaks to a fading part of my identity.
    Yes, I identify with Mole. I would like to be like the Water Rat and live in a bijou residence beside the sparkling river, but I am content to be Ratty's best mate, what more could I ask for?

But Tess is fading, fading away and I wonder what she would say as she becomes fainter and fainter? And Mole wants to know too.

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    Yes, I identify with Mole. I would like to be like the Water Rat and live in a bijou residence beside the sparkling river, but I am content to be Ratty's best mate, what more could I ask for?

But Tess is fading, fading away and I wonder what she would say as she becomes fainter and fainter? And Mole wants to know too.
    Oh! Mole was my first guess for you and Ratty was my second, but I didn't take liberties!

What little of Tess remains says that wisdom was purchased with innocence, love was purchased with self... and all sales are final.

#bittersweet
    "The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things." - Rainer Maria Rilke

Smile Mole and Tess

Oh! Mole was my first guess for you and Ratty was my second, but I didn't take liberties!

What little of Tess remains says that wisdom was purchased with innocence, love was purchased with self... and all sales are final.

#bittersweet
    Oh Iwaker, Mole can't resist anyone who doesn't take liberties, after all Mole himself would never take a liberty.

And Mole feels sad to think all sales are final, perhaps, he told me the other day, it is Purchase or Return. Perhaps, he said, you could return to your innocent self, perhaps you could return your purchase and say it does'nt quite fit.

On the other hand although Mole finds life to be bittersweet, he would never take liberties, just like yourself.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Good question.

I do not judge others based on the books they read. I have one friend who enjoys celebrity bio's and gossip but that is not the whole of her being. She is cute, comes out with some rather peculiar insights and is funny as hell. Can i have in-depth discussions with her? No and that's OK. I can get it elsewhere.

I have another friend who is not a big reader but is studying International affairs and policies and we can carry a brilliant intellectual debate.

When the psychiatrist came to my house to speak to kiddo and ended up talking to me, he made a judgement based on the books i owned. We were talking about confidence and intelligence and he asked me how many people read books about philosophy especially in the neighbourhood i live in (rather rough). I don't think the books i choose to read reflect my intelligence but then i don't perceive myself to be intelligent just modest. I am what i am.

I've just got this book for my kindle. I am easily excited
    “I made you take time to look at what I saw and when you took time to really notice my flower, you hung all your associations with flowers on my flower and you write about my flower as if I think and see what you think and see—and I don't.”
    ― Georgia O'Keeffe