User Tag List

First 89101112 Last

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

I usually don't think anything about it, but if I'm forced to ponder it, definitely NOT for fiction. I see that as just entertainment. If they favor a certain kind of genre of fiction I might conclude some stereotypical things about them at first but my mind changes quite easily about those things based on how they behave. With non-fiction that would depend on how much they really absorb what they read and the effect is has on how they live their life.

MBTI
    INTj

The last time I looked in the mirror I was not a scantily clad, big-breasted women. So I'm going to go "no" on this one.
    "The only time I'm wrong is when I'm questioning myself."
    Haight

Ginkgo

You definitely are what you read, but only if you wrote it first.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

This statement depends on what one reads, what their purposes are for reading, what their reading ability is, and so on. For example, I might have an interest in football, but if I do not have the incentive or ability to read books about football, then this lack of reading doesn’t totally reflect who I am; however, it may reflect part of my character.

I may read a book about Nazism, but I am not a Nazi, although reading such a book could imply that I am a fan of history. At the same time, there are genres which could give signs as to who I am, by what books I normally check out, if one knows the context for why I read these books in the first place. I generally read a wide range of books, but not for only one reason, and not everything I read reflects who I am literally.

Don’t judge a book by its cover.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

No, I don't agree with this. The great thing about a book, more so than a movie, is that there's a lot more room for interpretation and assimilation on the reader's side. There are many a person who I am fascinated with, who read what I considered simple dreck, but find complicated/beautiful things in that dreck that I can't see. Maybe the saying should be, you are how you read.

Quote Originally Posted by Qlip View Post
    No, I don't agree with this. The great thing about a book, more so than a movie, is that there's a lot more room for interpretation and assimilation on the reader's side. There are many a person who I am fascinated with, who read what I considered simple dreck, but find complicated/beautiful things in that dreck that I can't see. Maybe the saying should be, you are how you read.
    Yes, good readers are more important than good writers.

I often learn more from books I don't agree with than the ones I do agree with. It's important to read points of view you don't agree with or find distasteful to grow personally and intellectually... so judging people by what they read can lead straight to stereotyping... people looking at my book collection (though I buy and sell constantly) wouldn't know what to think... am I liberal, conservative, religious, atheistic, into sports, not into sports? Sexist or not? Racist or not? Merely looking at someone's book collection shouldn't define that person... except for the fact that they read... but I find reading widely a good thing in general and it usually designates an open-minded person. Or a shopaholic. It's hard to know.
    Ed Womack
    Get Milked

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

I first heard this saying from a radical within the US free state movement, it was bandied about before she used it though and relates to the extent to which the reading matter of people like Timothy McVeigh was reported in the press and was of interest to the authorities. They had for a time encouraged people to take covers of things like dictionaries and put it on books which would be flagged by the authorities (I dont know the extent to which that actually happens but it was mentioned in the movie Seven as something which happens).

The medium is the message

It is not the content of the book that makes us, it is the book itself. It is the medium of the book that changes us while our minds are hypotised by the content.

And what does the book make us?

It makes us individuals.

Whereas the electronic media makes us tribal.

So with the death of the book, we will see the death of the individual, and the death of the individual God. Do you have a personal relationship with God, we ask now. But in future we will have a tribal relationship with tribal Gods.

Quote Originally Posted by Qlip View Post
    There are many a person who I am fascinated with, who read what I considered simple dreck, but find complicated/beautiful things in that dreck that I can't see. Maybe the saying should be, you are how you read.
    That I like, Qlip. And I agree.
    One of my sig quotes that I use from time to time is:

It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see.
    — Henry David Thoreau