User Tag List

MBTI
    INFP

Default Google Search Results

Check out the December 25(2007) entry titled 'Google Suppressing Truth Be Known':

Truth Be Known News

I've had this problem with Google before. I'd do a specific search for something and it wouldn't come up in the first few pages of results. Just a couple of weeks ago I had this problem with the site that this blog is about and so I had confirmation that I wasn't the only one having this problem.

In this case, when I had done a search with the query of 'truthbeknown.com Acharya'(the name of the site and the name of the person running the site), a bunch of sites came up before hers. Some of these were linking to her site, but even several critics of her ideas came up before her site itself which they were directly criticizing.

I've wondered the reasons for why certain sites show up as top results and why others don't. In the comments, there are several possible explanations put forth. What do you think?

MBTI
    ISTP

The main reasons that I know of are;

1) Violation of ads (ie: repeat clicking, etc)
    2) Violation of keywords (huge list of repeated words to drag attention to the site)
    3) Certain linking methods are viewed as abuse
    4) robots.txt prevents indexing
    5) Anything that trips the squatter code.

The site also seems to be nothing more than a sales site - lots of quotes, lots of ads, but very little unique content (I'm only looking at the top few links). I suspect this is the problem. I suspect this is pushing the site's notoriety down significantly.

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by marmalade View Post
    I've wondered the reasons for why certain sites show up as top results and why others don't. In the comments, there are several possible explanations put forth. What do you think?
    I know that one big issue is the legality of some sites in some countries. For example, searching for "nazi" on Google France (but without restricting the search to French pages), will bring back only a single page of answers, all of them anti-nazi. That's due to the fact that public exposition of pro-nazi material is extremely limited by law in France. However, I don't see how this could be the case in your case, since both the site and the Google used are American (please correct me if I'm wrong). So... I'm stumped on that one for now, sorry

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by marmalade View Post
    My personal opinion is that Google is either paid more to list certain sites higher/lower, or they do so when it benefits their interest in other ways. Also, a government official or important advertiser may have used leverage against them to pressure them into listing the pages lower. I'm not sure, though...

Here is some of Google's own explanation:

Google Technology

Google searches more sites more quickly, delivering the most relevant results.

Introduction

Google runs on a unique combination of advanced hardware and software. The speed you experience can be attributed in part to the efficiency of our search algorithm and partly to the thousands of low cost PC's we've networked together to create a superfast search engine.

The heart of our software is PageRank™, a system for ranking web pages developed by our founders Larry Page and Sergey Brin at Stanford University. And while we have dozens of engineers working to improve every aspect of Google on a daily basis, PageRank continues to play a central role in many of our web search tools.

PageRank Explained

PageRank relies on the uniquely democratic nature of the web by using its vast link structure as an indicator of an individual page's value. In essence, Google interprets a link from page A to page B as a vote, by page A, for page B. But, Google looks at considerably more than the sheer volume of votes, or links a page receives; for example, it also analyzes the page that casts the vote. Votes cast by pages that are themselves "important" weigh more heavily and help to make other pages "important." Using these and other factors, Google provides its views on pages' relative importance.

Of course, important pages mean nothing to you if they don't match your query. So, Google combines PageRank with sophisticated text-matching techniques to find pages that are both important and relevant to your search. Google goes far beyond the number of times a term appears on a page and examines dozens of aspects of the page's content (and the content of the pages linking to it) to determine if it's a good match for your query.

Integrity

Google's complex automated methods make human tampering with our search results extremely difficult. And though we may run relevant ads above and next to our results, Google does not sell placement within the results themselves (i.e., no one can buy a particular or higher placement). A Google search provides an easy and effective way to find high-quality websites that contain information relevant to your search.
    EDIT: Other links
    Google Watch
    Google Watch Watch
    Last edited by ygolo; 12-28-2007 at 06:51 PM. Reason: more links

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

MBTI
    INFP

I forgot I even posted this thread here.

I used Yahoo in the past, and I can't even remember why I started using Google anyways. I have my e-mail on Yahoo. I've started using Yahoo again.

Yahoo shows her site as a top result when I do a search. Whatever...