User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Thread: The 'N' Word?

Ginkgo

I see that, in an attempt to diminish the power of the nigger word, some black people use it as a badge of sorts. They make it their own in retaliation. I think everyone should have the ability to say whatever they're going to say without having this looming feeling that someone is going to object to a certain word, just because it's a stigmatized word. If someone is incorrect, it's a different story.

So, does the problem lie in the incorrectness of nigger? I don't think it matters. Someone can call me honky, and I'm ambivalent because it's TRUE! I'm a honky. So what? I think people should be able to call me a honky, and likewise, I should be able to call people niggers. Or, if you like, you can call me a nigger. I don't care. These are just words. They're already in our vocabulary, so why do some people get special rights to specific parts of the dictionary?

So I suppose the problem lies within the context. Someone who says 'nigger' is denoted as racist, regardless of whether they are or not. So, people should be more attentive to the context than the word itself. For instance, if a white man were to be genuinely racist, and support racist ideals, then black people have every right to be upset; because that man is indeed racist. However, by and large, the western world is not racist. It's only racist when someone makes it out to be, and that can be said for whites and blacks alike.

At some point, you construct your own turmoil by giving words too much power over you.

Lungs & Lips Locked Unkindloving's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    ENFj

Quote Originally Posted by Mystic Tater View Post
    I see that, in an attempt to diminish the power of the nigger word, some black people use it as a badge of sorts. They make it their own in retaliation. I think everyone should have the ability to say whatever they're going to say without having this looming feeling that someone is going to object to a certain word, just because it's a stigmatized word. If someone is incorrect, it's a different story.

So, does the problem lie in the incorrectness of nigger? I don't think it matters. Someone can call me honky, and I'm ambivalent because it's TRUE! I'm a honky. So what? I think people should be able to call me a honky, and likewise, I should be able to call people niggers. Or, if you like, you can call me a nigger. I don't care. These are just words. They're already in our vocabulary, so why do some people get special rights to specific parts of the dictionary?

So I suppose the problem lies within the context. Someone who says 'nigger' is denoted as racist, regardless of whether they are or not. So, people should be more attentive to the context than the word itself. For instance, if a white man were to be genuinely racist, and support racist ideals, then black people have every right to be upset; because that man is indeed racist. However, by and large, the western world is not racist. It's only racist when someone makes it out to be, and that can be said for whites and blacks alike.

At some point, you construct your own turmoil by giving words too much power over you.
    This is also interesting. If a person decides to make a word their own, they should be above it, accept it, or show pride in it. I wear words of this nature and it's why i'm difficult to offend with one word alone. Also, if it doesn't apply to the person at hand then there shouldn't be enough of a reason behind it for all of the rage that tends to come with it unless it is a direct insult.
    That's something i have in issue with regarding anything. I can see becoming enraged if someone spews a falsity directly at an individual and they are offended at the misconception. I can't see becoming enraged if someone says something indirectly, without the context or intention to offend.

People should be more attentive in general, but they are not. The majority of humanity can't even overcome the difference between saying "all of humanity", "the majority of humanity", and "some of humanity". There's no relying on enough of a level of understanding. This is exactly why things of this nature are in play.

This makes me contemplate ebonics, as well.
    Hang on traveling woman - Don't sacrifice your plan
    Cause it will come back to you - Before you lose it on the man

.:: DWTWD ::.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

2011 TypeC Exercise Challenge - My Weekly Goals: Cardio 4x. Yoga/Pilates 1x. Pushups 70.

There is this thing keeping everyone's lungs and lips locked - It is called fear and it's seeing a great renaissance

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram

What do you think of the 'N' word?
    Nintendo is *so* 80s.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6

Quote Originally Posted by Mystic Tater View Post
    What do you think of the 'N' word?
    The N word is derogatory term derived from oppression. It has evolved to be a term of endearment among the formerly oppressed, but it still maintains its derogatory meaning. Since it still carries its originally intended harsh meaning in some contexts, it still has the ability to offend. Therefore I think that those who are not among the oppressed group should let the oppressed ones decide in which contexts the word can/should be appropriately used and in which contexts the word is offensive.

I think it's productive/progressive that the word has evolved to have a new positive, light-hearted meaning for those who were once significantly oppressed. Using the word casually acts as a way for the oppressed to break free of the oppression, as its relatively newfound ubiquity belittles the word's once negative meaning.

Therefore, I have no qualms with black people using it amongst themselves and taking offense when a white person uses the word towards another black person. Often, when a white person uses the word, they do attach a negative meaning to it, so it makes sense for blacks to be offended by whites using it.

I feel certain that eventually its ill meaning will become obsolete, but until then, it's still a sensitive issue and should be treated as such. It's not just a word. It carries with it a number of underlying meanings, intentions, and agendas.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Unkindloving View Post
    People give power to words by how they choose to react to them. If people don't react, then a word is stripped of whatever sort of power it may have had otherwise. The problem is in the inability to cease reacting.
    There's this misguided concept that goes around regarding what is more respectable. Walking on eggshells and being politically correct really isn't the victor here (and no, not the Victor). The real victor is having enough restraint and understanding to determine the usage of a word or simply be unaffected by it.

I say some mean, nasty words. Actually, i say all of them. The only reason i ever hesitate is when people get too butthurt over something that humans fashioned and decided to utilize in a certain way. It's not for their courtesy if i hesitate, it's simply because i don't feel like being compromised.

With the 'N' word specifically, people need to learn to overcome it. To be honest, i don't care about history. If you're being wrongfully oppressed as an individual and in present times, then by all means be affected. Otherwise, it's either history or simply a word. What we are is now.
    I'm not inclined to find a word that's degraded women, italians, etc in the past so i can feel excessively hurt when it's exclaimed in any context. I don't feel other people should be either.
    Now, for the courtesy of not digging my grave any deeper, i'm going to stfu
    Oh please... if this were true then nobody would ever complain about personal attacks or trolls on internet forums.. intent does matter..... just read over a thread gone wrong around here and see people getting their panties in a bunch over words that don't carry half the historical meaning as the 'N' word... This is just dismissive bullshit... Verbally attacking someone on a daily basis can result in the same outcome as physically smacking them...

Words hurt people and others know this... sure you should be able to say whatever you want, but you should also expect to be subjected to whatever treatment follows with that... you don't have to be PC, but if you go around calling students or employees or whatever the 'N' word then you will be fired.. not just because of PC but because you can't go around calling them 'fucking idiots" either or all of your female subordinates "stupid whores"....

what I don't understand is how people will completely understand if someone experiences consequences for walking around calling subordinates or customers "idiots", or "stupid whores", or soldiers just returning from wars "baby killers or murderers" or a doctor telling a cancer patient "you're gonna die bitch good luck with that and walking out" or someone calling handicapped employees "useless or gimps or retards"...

We can all understand why shit like that just isn't cool... but if people bring up things like Hitler or the 'N' word all of a sudden it's down to PC and not common decency...

again.. I think people should have the right to be absolute pricks if they want to but certainly shouldn't get all "butthurt" if people respond to that badly... just my two cents.
    Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    watch where you're driving f$cktards! I have the right of way!!! :steam:

MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    6w5

I think from what I have seen of people calling their friends 'nigga' that it has been successfully reclaimed in some places. But it's a word with a history...that's the trouble of a civilization with a long but selective memory.
    The beauty of a living thing is not the atoms that go into it, but the way those atoms are put together. ~ rCoxI ~ INfj ~ 5w6 so/sp

Hate

Quote Originally Posted by Blairvoyant View Post
    I think from what I have seen of people calling their friends 'nigga' that it has been successfully reclaimed in some places. But it's a word with a history...that's the trouble of a civilization with a long but selective memory.
    "Nigga" and "Nigger" are two completely different words with two completely different meanings... "Nigger" hasn't been reclaimed anywhere by black people.. so I'm curious as to what you are talking about.

MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    6w5

Quote Originally Posted by Juice View Post
    "Nigga" and "Nigger" are two completely different words with two completely different meanings... "Nigger" hasn't been reclaimed anywhere by black people.. so I'm curious as to what you are talking about.
    oh ok

but they aren't coincidentally similar
    The beauty of a living thing is not the atoms that go into it, but the way those atoms are put together. ~ rCoxI ~ INfj ~ 5w6 so/sp

Hate

Quote Originally Posted by Blairvoyant View Post
    oh ok

but they aren't coincidentally similar
    They are extremely similar.....that's why this word can be dangerous..."Nigga" is used by black people in the same context as calling someone a friend....But "Nigger" is not used by them at all... The distinctions can be very complicated..

MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    6w5

Quote Originally Posted by Juice View Post
    They are extremely similar.....that's why this word can be dangerous..."Nigga" is used by black people in the same context as calling someone a friend....But "Nigger" is not used by them at all... The distinctions can be very complicated..
    I meant it's not a coincidence that they're similar