Thread: The 'N' Word?

Ginkgo

Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
    Give my best to your "buddy" Joe.

Poor wetbacks.

MBTI
    INTJ

Honky and Nigger. Both words are in Webster's online dictionary. What is the big deal? It's not as if we haven't heard these words before.
    I think for most people the difference in the word comes from the history behind them... those that use the N word subjected the recipients of that word to a lot more ills than those who use the H word subjected it's intended recipients to.

That being said people should move on from the horrors they've been subjected to in the past and yet still they should not have to suffer the insult of those horrors being forgotten or the impact of those actions being belittled by attempts to make linear comparisons to things that are not directly proportional...
    Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    watch where you're driving f$cktards! I have the right of way!!! :steam:

Senior Member InsatiableCuriosity's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

Oh dear - I thought you were all taking about iNtuition!! I don't like the other word so I will leave you to it.
    "Study hard what interests you the most in the most undisciplined, irreverent and original manner possible."
    — Richard P. Feynman

"Never tell a person a thing is impossible. G*d/the Universe may have been waiting all this time for someone ignorant enough of the impossibility to do just that thing."
    author unknown

Lungs & Lips Locked Unkindloving's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    ENFj

People give power to words by how they choose to react to them. If people don't react, then a word is stripped of whatever sort of power it may have had otherwise. The problem is in the inability to cease reacting.
    There's this misguided concept that goes around regarding what is more respectable. Walking on eggshells and being politically correct really isn't the victor here (and no, not the Victor). The real victor is having enough restraint and understanding to determine the usage of a word or simply be unaffected by it.

I say some mean, nasty words. Actually, i say all of them. The only reason i ever hesitate is when people get too butthurt over something that humans fashioned and decided to utilize in a certain way. It's not for their courtesy if i hesitate, it's simply because i don't feel like being compromised.

With the 'N' word specifically, people need to learn to overcome it. To be honest, i don't care about history. If you're being wrongfully oppressed as an individual and in present times, then by all means be affected. Otherwise, it's either history or simply a word. What we are is now.
    I'm not inclined to find a word that's degraded women, italians, etc in the past so i can feel excessively hurt when it's exclaimed in any context. I don't feel other people should be either.
    Now, for the courtesy of not digging my grave any deeper, i'm going to stfu
    Hang on traveling woman - Don't sacrifice your plan
    Cause it will come back to you - Before you lose it on the man

.:: DWTWD ::.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

2011 TypeC Exercise Challenge - My Weekly Goals: Cardio 4x. Yoga/Pilates 1x. Pushups 70.

There is this thing keeping everyone's lungs and lips locked - It is called fear and it's seeing a great renaissance

Quote Originally Posted by Unkindloving View Post
    People give power to words by how they choose to react to them. If people don't react, then a word is stripped of whatever sort of power it may have had otherwise. The problem is in the inability to cease reacting.
    There's this misguided concept that goes around regarding what is more respectable. Walking on eggshells and being politically correct really isn't the victor here (and no, not the Victor). The real victor is having enough restraint and understanding to determine the usage of a word or simply be unaffected by it.

I say some mean, nasty words. Actually, i say all of them. The only reason i ever hesitate is when people get too butthurt over something that humans fashioned and decided to utilize in a certain way. It's not for their courtesy if i hesitate, it's simply because i don't feel like being compromised.

With the 'N' word specifically, people need to learn to overcome it. To be honest, i don't care about history. If you're being wrongfully oppressed as an individual and in present times, then by all means be affected. Otherwise, it's either history or simply a word. What we are is now.
    I'm not inclined to find a word that's degraded women, italians, etc in the past so i can feel excessively hurt when it's exclaimed in any context. I don't feel other people should be either.
    Now, for the courtesy of not digging my grave any deeper, i'm going to stfu

I don't think you dug any grave. It was all well said.

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    ENFj

I don't think you dug any grave. It was all well said.
    You know that's still not all-too-comforting coming from you, right?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

2011 TypeC Exercise Challenge - My Weekly Goals: Cardio 4x. Yoga/Pilates 1x. Pushups 70.

There is this thing keeping everyone's lungs and lips locked - It is called fear and it's seeing a great renaissance

You know that's still not all-too-comforting coming from you, right?
    Feeling a bit paranoid today, are we?

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    ENFj

Feeling a bit paranoid today, are we?
    Oh. Of course there's nothing to be paranoid about when contributing to a thread with you and Mystic...

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Oh. Of course there's nothing to be paranoid about when contributing to a thread with you and Mystic...
    He and I can indeed play off each other, quite well.
    Having said that, I was sincere in what I said to you. It was a good post.

Have you always had this much trouble taking a compliment?

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    ENFj

He and I can indeed play off each other, quite well.
    Having said that, I was sincere in what I said to you. It was a good post.

Have you always had this much trouble taking a compliment?
    Yes! ...but i believe you.
    You don't see how he and i play off of each other. All of our powers combined could create something far more terrible than Captain Planet. I don't even think there's a mean, nasty word for what could transpire.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]