User Tag List

Thread: Did Gray's Work Ring a[n Alexander Graham] Bell?

.~ *aĉa virino* ~. Array Totenkindly's Avatar
    549 sx/sp
    LII Ni

Default Did Gray's Work Ring a[n Alexander Graham] Bell?

Interesting article on Yahoo today, about a recently published book.

BOSTON -- A new book claims to have definitive evidence of a long-suspected technological crime — that Alexander Graham Bell stole ideas for the telephone from a rival, Elisha Gray.

In "The Telephone Gambit: Chasing Alexander Graham Bell's Secret," journalist Seth Shulman argues that Bell -- aided by aggressive lawyers and a corrupt patent examiner -- got an improper peek at patent documents Gray had filed, and that Bell was erroneously credited with filing first...
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Interesting article. There are stories like that around many groundbreaking inventions. I wonder where we can find the digitized notebook of Bell. It would be an interesting read.

As for Bell transmitting speech instead of telegraph messages. That seems to be key. It was Bell's area of speacialty.

I still think of Armstrong as the father of radio, not Marconi or Tesla.

A lot of current day RF technology is based off of Armstrong's work.

Also, a lot of current telehone technology is based off of Edison's work.

Patent system is a thorny (and potentially corrupt) legal system, and it seems it may have been for a long time.

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield