Can you connect it to other recent events?.. I see a pattern

anyway, read it and weep

Increasing solar activity could wreak havoc - Yahoo! News UK

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

If the world is gonna end, why bother preparing. And if it's not gonna end, you'll love yourself for not wasting time on preparing.

PS:

The chance that humans will become extinct in 2012 is approximatly: 1,1013215859030837004405286343612e-9%

That's 0.0000000011013215859030837004405286343612 %
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

MBTI
    Mine
    Enneagram
    1w9

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffywolf View Post
    If the world is gonna end, why bother preparing. And if it's not gonna end, you'll love yourself for not wasting time on preparing.

PS:

The chance that humans will become extinct in 2012 is approximatly: 1,1013215859030837004405286343612e-9%

That's 0.0000000011013215859030837004405286343612 %
    Interesting calculation, Fluffy. What original data was it based on again, and what method did you use to derive the probability?
    Look into my avatar. Look deep into my avatar...

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by ragashree View Post
    Interesting calculation, Fluffy. What original data was it based on again, and what method did you use to derive the probability?
    Based on the fact that in 4.54 billion years of earths existance, there have only been 5 known major extinction events, despite the fact that the event we are about to get in 2012 happens once every 25,625 years.

In other words, it'll just be another year, possible some climate changes, polar shifts, but nothing too life threatening, unless we get our asses handed to us by a totally unrelated huge asteroid.

Banned
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

I mostly made this thread in Honor of Heart .. who's "something happened somewhere" threads have been missing of late..

Nothing like a bit of media driven paranoia to brighten up the night..

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

yep, same opinion on "why bother? if we're going to go extinct what's stress going to do to improve the situation?"
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    Mine
    Enneagram
    1w9

Based on the fact that in 4.54 billion years of earths existance, there have only been 5 known major extinction events, despite the fact that the event we are about to get in 2012 happens once every 25,625 years.

In other words, it'll just be another year, possible some climate changes, polar shifts, but nothing too life threatening, unless we get our asses handed to us by a totally unrelated huge asteroid.
    This raises the question of how fragile the human species is though, especially in its current incarnation, with its heavy dependence on technology and stable climate conditions. There have been a lot more smaller extinction events throughout history that are quite capable of putting paid to all but the most robust species - could we be overestimating our own importance in the general scheme of things? Also, it might help to find some way of factoring in our considerable potential for destroying ourselves with the release of nuclear weapons or chemical or biological agents (of which we have a vast enough store already to have reasonable potential for destroying the entire human species if used appropriately). Then there's the potential of a new and devestating pathogen, perhaps deliberately created, possibly even for destructive use of nanotechnology? Destroying ourselves is surely a much simpler achievement than taking everything else with us, and I think that's well within our capabilites at the moment. All it would take even now is a few wrong decisions in high places, and a few buttons pushed, to set the process in motion...

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

When it comes to survival in hard conditions, we are the most robust species out there. Heating, cooling, we can do it all.

But hmm, you do have a point on manmade exctintion. If the economy gets destroyed, intercountry relations will most definatly shake. Attempts at genocyde and potential nuclear war may be an issue.

However, I don't think any country capable of that would allow it to go that far. Ultimatly, everyone knows by now that there are no winners in a nuclear war.

I believe it is ever more likely that countries will worry what is going in in their own borders first in such a crisis, before messing about abroad.

MBTI
    Mine
    Enneagram
    1w9

When it comes to survival in hard conditions, we are the most robust species out there. Heating, cooling, we can do it all.
    We used to have the skills to improvise from the materials available to survive such conditions, but how many people can do it now without recourse to modern technology and all that entails? Even the Inuit are now mostly heavily dependent on modern machinery and buildings. We're very fragile beings indeed without the technology we create to assist us, and all that many are now capable of is operating very advanced equipment which most are neither capable of understanding or making/repairing themselves, which in any case is dependent on other advanced technology. Without basic survival skills, what can we achieve if the technology no longer functions as it should, and how long would it take us to re-adapt to the ways of our ancestors? It's hard to be confident that if technology was lost concomittently with other destructive catastrophes, the survivors would be able to adapt quickly enough.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 so/sx
    Socionics
    SLE Ti

Interesting that there's still life after extinctions, as seen in the past. I believe not all 7 billion people on the planet are going to go extinct if something catastrophic happens...excluding any nuclear wars.