User Tag List

First 2345 Last

Results 31 to 40 of 50

  1. #31
    Senior Member Lateralus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Posts
    6,276

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JHBowden View Post
    That won't work, since liberals are black sheep to begin with-- they're all misfits in one way or another. That's why they always want to change things; they think the problem is with the world, and not with themselves. Politics is like a form of self-therapy for the progressive activist.
    This is ironic coming from someone that blames everything on liberals.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

  2. #32
    Order Now! pure_mercury's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    MBTI
    ESFJ
    Posts
    6,946

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    Before pure_mercury goes on a moral crusade against me, I'll say that I think the congressman should at least be investigated for a possible assault charge. I'd also investigate the reporters for harassment. I have the suspicion that this is not the first time they've tried to talk to this congressman. I wouldn't be surprised to find out they deliberately instigated this incident. It reminds me of "Don't taze me bro".

    I despise so-called reporters that try to make news rather than report it.

    You're getting to be very knee-jerk and tiresome, and I don't know what your problem with me is. I don't doubt that these guys have tried to get him on tape before. That is irrelevant to what happened here, though. There is no excuse for grabbing and clutching a stranger who hasn't touched you.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

  3. #33
    Order Now! pure_mercury's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    MBTI
    ESFJ
    Posts
    6,946

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Wait a minute, do you know more about this guy than was covered in the story? I admittedly don't know much, but I'm hoping this isn't simply a smear campaign on your part. IOW, ream him over the incident, but please list some sources to support the all-out character attack, please; this is sort of low.
    No smear at all. His voice just sounded slurred to me, and his behavior was very strange. I don't know a ton about him, because he isn't one of the most high-profile or distinguished members of Congress. I am making an educated guess based on what I see. If there is one thing with which I have much experience, it's strange behavior while under the influence.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

  4. #34
    Senior Member Lateralus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Posts
    6,276

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    I don't doubt that these guys have tried to get him on tape before. That is irrelevant to what happened here, though. There is no excuse for grabbing and clutching a stranger who hasn't touched you.
    The video was edited and we've only seen the parts they released to the public. If nothing else happened, I would agree with you. But we don't know that yet.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

  5. #35
    @.~*virinaĉo*~.@ Totenkindly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne
    Posts
    42,333

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    No smear at all. His voice just sounded slurred to me, and his behavior was very strange. I don't know a ton about him, because he isn't one of the most high-profile or distinguished members of Congress. I am making an educated guess based on what I see. If there is one thing with which I have much experience, it's strange behavior while under the influence.
    Sorry, dude, that's a smear. You said: "I think it's just another example of a politician so out of touch and corrupted by power to think he could get away with something like that. His speech did seem a little slurred, though. I wouldn't be surprised if he drops out of his congressional race to enter rehab for booze/pills" and don't have anything to show for the intermediate steps.

    Stick with the actual observation, which is "strange behavior." I didn't notice the slurred voice, but I'm a Se-Tard, so....? Your only evidence is based an edited tape, with no framing information available right now, and a rather weird incident in itself, so jumping to your sort of inductions a bit premature. My dad was and is an alcoholic, so yeah, I have a lot of experience too; but I'm uncomfortable jumping straight into judgments like you've made here.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

    “Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

  6. #36
    Order Now! pure_mercury's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    MBTI
    ESFJ
    Posts
    6,946

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Sorry, dude, that's a smear. You went from an "educated guess" that he might have been drinking straight to "I think it's just another example of a politician so out of touch and corrupted by power to think he could get away with something like that. His speech did seem a little slurred, though. I wouldn't be surprised if he drops out of his congressional race to enter rehab for booze/pills" and don't have anything to show for the intermediate steps.
    That is only logical. Either the dude was fucked up and didn't grasp what he was doing was REALLY weird and illegal, or he is the type of person who thinks it's OK to accost a reporter who is annoying you.


    Stick with the actual observation, which is "strange behavior." I didn't notice the slurred voice, but I'm a Se-Tard, so....? Your only evidence is based an edited tape, with no framing information available right now, so jumping to your sort of inductions a bit premature.
    I said it was a guess, and that it's my interpretation. Do you what the word "smear" means? If so, you would know that's not a smear.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

  7. #37
    Senior Member Lateralus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Posts
    6,276

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    That is only logical. Either the dude was fucked up and didn't grasp what he was doing was REALLY weird and illegal, or he is the type of person who thinks it's OK to accost a reporter who is annoying you.
    I can think of other circumstances that could cause someone to act that way. To state that it can only be one or the other is...come on...you're smarter than this.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

  8. #38
    Order Now! pure_mercury's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    MBTI
    ESFJ
    Posts
    6,946

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    I can think of other circumstances that could cause someone to act that way. To state that it can only be one or the other is...come on...you're smarter than this.
    Jet lag? Really big lunch? What that dude did was seriously weird. What other circumstances would there be? And, if there were some type of crazy extenuating circumstances, why wouldn't Etheridge have explained in his apology?
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

  9. #39
    Senior Member Lateralus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Posts
    6,276

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    Jet lag? Really big lunch? What that dude did was seriously weird. What other circumstances would there be? And, if there were some type of crazy extenuating circumstances, why wouldn't Etheridge have explained in his apology?
    Excessive stress, death in the family, lack of sleep. Just because he didn't mention an extenuating circumstance doesn't mean there wasn't one.

    Could you define "weird"? You keep using that word and I have the feeling we have different definitions for it.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

  10. #40
    Order Now! pure_mercury's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    MBTI
    ESFJ
    Posts
    6,946

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    Excessive stress, death in the family, lack of sleep. Just because he didn't mention an extenuating circumstance doesn't mean there wasn't one.

    Could you define "weird"? You keep using that word and I have the feeling we have different definitions for it.
    Grabbing a stranger's wrist, getting in his face demanding to know his name, and then hugging him close so he can't get away = unusual, kinda creepy behavior. Would you say that was a normal reaction? I'd be freaked the fuck out if someone did that to me if I asked him a question on the street.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

Similar Threads

  1. Blac Youngsta Talks To Reporters While Turning Himself In For Young Dolph Shooting
    By Xann in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-17-2017, 09:15 PM
  2. Trump Campaign Manager Assault Breitbart Reporter
    By Beorn in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-10-2016, 12:34 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO