User Tag List

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Default So unpopular it becomes popular and other political quirks

I've been thinking for a while about creating a thread to post political quirks or odd observations in, so here goes.

I think there's a trend in politics or maybe its political identities that when something becomes so unpopular that there's a kind of "you should be ashamed" admonishment of its supporters that it has the opposite effect. So for instance there was effectively, a few years ago, a backlash which worked in favour of conservativism and market libertarianism when people decided the alternatives where "preachy", I've begun to think it could be going the other way again. It could be an intergenerational thing, I know that I've met as many people fronting neocon propaganda in t-shirts or whatever who're actually lefties as who buy and own the stuff because they are right wingers.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Isn't this the typical cycle of anything in the world?

The pendulum swings one way, then it swings back... the size of the rebound based mostly on the size of the initial swing.

If the pendulum doesn't swing back, it was never even moving.

Action, reaction, rereaction, rerereaction...
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Isn't this the typical cycle of anything in the world?

The pendulum swings one way, then it swings back... the size of the rebound based mostly on the size of the initial swing.

If the pendulum doesn't swing back, it was never even moving.

Action, reaction, rereaction, rerereaction...
    In the public opinion it seems like the peak of the pendulum has more to do with the emotions it invokes (good or bad) as opposed to simply bad reputation in general. In other words if its a bad reputation but the person does not evoke emotions (i.e. boring or complete absence of any perceivable charisma) then the pendulum is not calibrated properly for the occurrence of this phenomenon.
    I redact everything I have written or will write on this forum prior to, subsequent with and or after the fact of its writing. For entertainment purposes only and not to be taken seriously nor literally.

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    Spamtar - a strange combination of boorish drunkeness and erudite discussions, or what I call "an Irish academic"

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Another couple I can think of:

In Emergency, the latest book by that guy who wrote the book called The Game, cant remember his name the author succeeds eventually in getting Kurt Saxon, the author of Poor Man's James Bond and one time member of a bunch of biker gangs and the American Nazi party to contact him on the topic of survivalism. Saxon explains about how at one time the group he was involved with wanted to break up as some of its members where more interested in left politics, why?

They had better dope and girls.

Hmmm, not sure I like confirmation of the babe theory of politics that way, was it PJ O'Rourke who mentioned the babe theory of politics first?