User Tag List

First 123

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    I'm also stuck wondering who are we to be deciding what's best for other countries? but then again, that's a whole other kettle of fish
    I tend to think that they could do worse than listen to us these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    Wow... This strikes me as bad news really.

Occupied by the USA, bordering on Iran, Pakistan, and China, and not too far off from Russia, which has something of a grudge against Afghanistan anyway.

And like people were saying, it could just become like a resource rich African country. That's an especially bad thing to be when surrounded by so many countries with some real power and a desire to own more resources.

Don't forget that India is also quite close. (especially northern parts of it)

Senior Member InsatiableCuriosity's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    I was reading this article and it was raising some definite questions and concerns for the future of Afghanistan...

Could this break the cycle of wars and narcotics? Would this open the doors to Afghanistan becoming a virtual colony of the US or China? For that matter, what will happen between the US and China, both of whom are quite resource hungry? What would happen if large scale mining started up in a country with few environmental protection laws and no mining history or knowlege?....
    The cynic in me asks just what the US was doing mineralogical surveying in a country not their own???? I just wonder which companies will be waving the "prosperity" flag under the noses of the fledgling government in order to control that wealth?
    "Study hard what interests you the most in the most undisciplined, irreverent and original manner possible."
    — Richard P. Feynman

"Never tell a person a thing is impossible. G*d/the Universe may have been waiting all this time for someone ignorant enough of the impossibility to do just that thing."
    author unknown

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by InsatiableCuriosity View Post
    The cynic in me asks just what the US was doing mineralogical surveying in a country not their own???? I just wonder which companies will be waving the "prosperity" flag under the noses of the fledgling government in order to control that wealth?
    If it stabilises the country, stops them farming opium and so much as tempts other nations to take some role in law enforcement and development there I think its all good.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Antisocial one View Post
    Don't forget that India is also quite close. (especially northern parts of it)
    India is the prize of Asia while Afghanistan is the booby prize.

And considering that India has been providing aid to Afghanistan for a while. And considering that India is a democracy. And considering that India has Armed Forces of two million soldiers. And that India is right next door. We should turn Afghanistan over to India.

India would love this because it would deny their enemy Pakistan defence in depth. And with two million soldiers to call upon right next door, India would be able to smother resistance in Afghanistan. And we could get out of a muslim country.

Supreme Allied Commander Take Five's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

All of this is inconclusive because it's not clear that the $1 trillion estimate is accurate. It may very well be misleading. For instance, Afghanistan is a huge place, and it's not clear whether these minerals are located in densely rich areas. If it's spread out too much, it won't be worth the cost of digging up. Probably the only outcome of this will be something bad long term--because Afghan hopes may be dashed. What that means is harder to say at this point.
    Johari Nohari

"If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. "--Niccolo Machiavelli

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    India is the prize of Asia while Afghanistan is the booby prize.

And considering that India has been providing aid to Afghanistan for a while. And considering that India is a democracy. And considering that India has Armed Forces of two million soldiers. And that India is right next door. We should turn Afghanistan over to India.

India would love this because it would deny their enemy Pakistan defence in depth. And with two million soldiers to call upon right next door, India would be able to smother resistance in Afghanistan. And we could get out of a muslim country.
    That would be awesome except for the minor fact that the largest ethnic group in Afghanistan has more members in Pakistan than any other country and India contains only slightly more of them than the United States.
    "You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit."

Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office
    than to serve and obey them. - David Hume

MBTI
    GONE

Whatever, could you cite the original article and post a link if you haven't already done so (I know, I'm too lazy to click the other pages, blame it on a long night. :P)
    “If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

"I'm outtie 5000" ― Romulux

Johari/Nohari