User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Savvy business man or inconsiderate a$$hole?

Senior Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    Well the law must be different over there. Here, if you own a piece of land that gives UNIQUE passage to another person's house / property, you HAVE TO let them pass undisturbed - it's their right.
    Quote Originally Posted by Metamorphosis View Post
    I believe in the U.S. (or at least Texas), you can't be barred from entering your land (not to say you can enter on any path you want to).
    Yeah, same in Georgia (though its still too easy to have the government effectively screw you out of your property rights. ): it's probably some unique Oklahoma statutory law that got put in as a political favor, and supersedes the common law 'easement' rights: Easement - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Edit: I should have read Oberon's post before typing this.
    Last edited by lowtech redneck; 06-14-2010 at 02:50 PM. Reason: self-evident

Permabanned Array
    9w1 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    Long-term use of someone else's property in the US for purposes of access, for example a shared driveway, establishes what is called an "easement." An easement is a right that you have to someone else's property for a specific purpose; for example, mineral rights are a kind of easement. You own the easement, but not the property. Access easements are very common in the world of real estate, not strange at all. Were I the people this guy was blocking with his new purchase, I would go to court and submit evidence that the driveway had been in use for X amount of time, thus establishing a de facto access easement.

If the ruling goes in the tenants' favor, the guy keeps title to his land, and they get to continue to drive on it. If he wants to stop them, his only legal option is to purchase the easement back from them. I would recommend they ask $80,000.
    That would be my (non-legal for purposes of the internet) advice.

What is, is. Array Arthur Schopenhauer's Avatar

This guy sounds like an asshole.
    INTJ | 5w4 - Sp/Sx/So | 5-4-(9/1) | RLoEI | Melancholic-Choleric | Johari & Nohari

This will not end well...
    But it will at least be poetic, I suppose...

Hmm... But what if it does end well?
    Then I suppose it will be a different sort of poetry, a preferable sort...
    A sort I could become accustomed to...

"It's just a business adventure trying to pick up a few bucks just like any other business,” Edwards said. "I wasn't wanting to cause anybody grief, but sometimes it just works out that way.”
    What a douchebag.
    When all else fails, claim it's rigged.