User Tag List

First 234

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Arclight View Post
    This is a thread about British people sticking up for themselves after something they have invested in or carries their national identity, has fucked up.
    The people effected by this fuck up are up in arms over it.. both the fuck up and the nationalistic defence of the fuck up.

These same people(The effected) have more blood oil on their hands than any other nation, and these same people staunchly defend their own fuck ups and nationalistic pride without relent.

But they dare to criticize others for behaving like they do?

Pointing out hypocrisy is always relevant in any discussion or debate.
    Guys, the spill isnt news in the UK, there's no nationalism at all here.

Some of the middle classes with private pensions are shitting themselves because the pension funds have shares in BP but more than half of BPs share holders are American or American pension funds.

That's it.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

This is a thread about British people sticking up for themselves after something they have invested in or carries their national identity, has fucked up.
    The people effected by this fuck up are up in arms over it.. both the fuck up and the nationalistic defence of the fuck up.

These same people(The effected) have more blood oil on their hands than any other nation, and these same people staunchly defend their own fuck ups and nationalistic pride without relent.

But they dare to criticize others for behaving like they do?

Pointing out hypocrisy is always relevant in any discussion or debate.
    Let's all talk about how much the US sucks. It's not enough that we already have a few recent threads dedicated specifically to that subject. It's better if we make ALL threads about the same thing.

I'm pulling for you arclight, hoping that you succeed in derailing this thread.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    Let's all talk about how much the US sucks. It's not enough that we already have a few recent threads dedicated specifically to that subject. It's better if we make ALL threads about the same thing.

I dont understand this, why is there hating on the US?

I posted a positive thread about the US, why do we have to derail threads? This is an anti-british thread so far as I can tell

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    Guys, the spill isnt news in the UK, there's no nationalism at all here.
    The spill is news, and of course there is "nationalism" in the UK, as there is in any country - or at least an acceptance of the general need to defend "British" economic interests abroad which we can call "nationalism" for convenience.

In any case, while I am not syaing that the British public massively supports BP, neither are the "middle classes with private pensions" a negligeable amount of the population. In fact pretty much all private sector workers - the majority of the labour force - had their pensions privatized.

But we're getting off topic.
    "Of course we spent our money in the good times. That's what you're supposed to do in good times! You can't save money in the good times. Then they wouldn't be good times, they'd be 'preparation for the bad times' times."

"Every country in the world owes money. Everyone. So heere's what I dont get: who do they all owe it to, and why don't we just kill the bastard and relax?"

-Tommy Tiernan, Irish comedian.

Banned
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

My post isn't about The USA.. this is about hypocrisy, and this thread is rife with it.
    Sorry if me pointing that out "derails" or even better, gets a few people to look in the mirror before passing judgment.

My bad. Shame on me

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

My post isn't about The USA.. this is about hypocrisy, and this thread is rife with it.
    Sorry if me pointing that out "derails" or even better, gets a few people to look in the mirror before passing judgment.

My bad. Shame on me
    I don't see any. In fact, I've found this thread to be pretty unremarkable other than your out-of-place remarks.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram

I second that.

What hypocrisy, where?

I am a communist, I stand for the defeat of the US forces in Afghanistan, the defeat of Israel as a state, and the end to US dominance of all the regions of the world it dominates - I'm hardly likely to be a pro-US hypocrite whitewashing US corporations or singling out BP (which is largely US owned anyway) for special treatment. Ask any of the people who have argued with me in the past.

The point of this thread was simply to say that I, who live in London and am a UK citizen, and depend on the British economy for my livelihood, do not buy the line we are sold in the British media that we should defend BP against the just anger of the communities who it destroyed.

What is wrong with that? Just because US corporations and government do terrible things, I should defend British corporation against normal working US citizens? Sorry I don't buy that.
    "Of course we spent our money in the good times. That's what you're supposed to do in good times! You can't save money in the good times. Then they wouldn't be good times, they'd be 'preparation for the bad times' times."

"Every country in the world owes money. Everyone. So heere's what I dont get: who do they all owe it to, and why don't we just kill the bastard and relax?"

-Tommy Tiernan, Irish comedian.

Banned
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

I don't see any. In fact, I've found this thread to be pretty unremarkable other than your out-of-place remarks.
    6.8 billion perceptions and counting .. I don't see why yours matters anymore than mine..

next..

Banned
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

Quote Originally Posted by tcda View Post
    I second that.

What hypocrisy, where?

I am a communist, I stand for the defeat of the US forces in Afghanistan, the defeat of Israel as a state, and the end to US dominance of all the regions of the world it dominates - I'm hardly likely to be a pro-US hypocrite whitewashing US corporations or singling out BP (which is largely US owned anyway) for special treatment. Ask any of the people who have argued with me in the past.

The point of this thread was simply to say that I, who live in London and am a UK citizen, and depend on the British economy for my livelihood, do not buy the line we are sold in the British media that we should defend BP against the just anger of the communities who it destroyed.

What is wrong with that? Just because US corporations and government do terrible things, I should defend British corporation against normal working US citizens? Sorry I don't buy that.
    This has nothing to with you or your political beliefs.. I find it a tad bewildering that the people who my comments are meant for, are not the ones responding. I suppose it's typical.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

This has nothing to with you or your political beliefs.. I find it a tad bewildering that the people who my comments are meant for, are not the ones responding. I suppose it's typical.
    They are probably as confused as the rest of us.

Are you a BP exectutive? That would explain the FAIL...