User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    INTP

I'm not sure about it, but I suspect that the British people aren't so angry at American attacks on a British corporation as British corporations (in the form of print media) are scared about their fellow corporations. Meh, sounds like media trying to twist things around again.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by compulsiverambler View Post
    You do realise as well that no British people actually cared when Michelle touched the Queen, don't you?
    An nobody actually cared when we saw Janet Jackson's nipple at the superbowl except for those lucky enough to Tivo it
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

I can't say as I've ever noticed any "nationalism" existing in Britain as long as I've lived here... 25 years... except the obligatory extreme right wing loonies that every country gets... very much a minority. Just saying...
    I'm male and over 30, FYI.
    Preferences: 20% Extravert, 98% Intuitive, 68% Thinker, 17% Perceiving

MBTI
    INTJ

Do you honestly think anyone in America gives a damn BP is British? Most people I know that are attacking it don't even know what BP stands for. They think it is an American company until I tell them. Way to take things personally.

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Red October View Post
    Do you honestly think anyone in America gives a damn BP is British? Most people I know that are attacking it don't even know what BP stands for. They think it is an American company until I tell them. Way to take things personally.
    Did you read my OP?

Obviously I don't think that (nor would I be upset if it were the case, on the contrary I would be delighted, because as far as I am concerned, every British corporation around the world can get expropriated). I was just reporting what the British media is saying, in order to ridicule it, and use this as a starting base for a wider point.

Quote Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
    I'm not sure about it, but I suspect that the British people aren't so angry at American attacks on a British corporation as British corporations (in the form of print media) are scared about their fellow corporations. Meh, sounds like media trying to twist things around again.
    Exactly this.

Unfortunately the media does have the power to set the agenda over time.
    "Of course we spent our money in the good times. That's what you're supposed to do in good times! You can't save money in the good times. Then they wouldn't be good times, they'd be 'preparation for the bad times' times."

"Every country in the world owes money. Everyone. So heere's what I dont get: who do they all owe it to, and why don't we just kill the bastard and relax?"

-Tommy Tiernan, Irish comedian.

Quote Originally Posted by proximo View Post
    I can't say as I've ever noticed any "nationalism" existing in Britain as long as I've lived here... 25 years... except the obligatory extreme right wing loonies that every country gets... very much a minority. Just saying...
    Yes, to be honest the right wing loons are foreign too, extremes are generally foreign to the UK and most of the nationalistic movements are akin to US or German or at the very least WW2 racists and imperialists.

For instance none of them are royalists, let alone Shakespearean Royalists, none of them are Tories or Whigs either, they could not even be described as Cromwellian, although they are jealous of him in an iconistic way, or are in some ways keen to revive the hatred of Catholicism (at least this is how they seek to popularise themselves in Northern Ireland among Loyalist communities, the sense of national identity in those areas can hinge on what it is not, rather than what it is or has to offer if you know what I mean).

I think that perhaps the last strains of nationalism in the UK, at least in politics, disappeared with Thatcherism, I remember her objection to British Airways removing the union jack flag from its livery on its aircraft.

Not sure that the UK has a sense of nationhood, nationalism in the UK has traditionally fragmented the British Isles, into Ireland, Scotland, Wales and England, altough England is divided on class grounds between north and south, Ireland is divided between partition and many in the British counties of Ulster have greater affinity with Scotland than anywhere else.

That's pretty much because in Scotland King James was schooled by Knox, militant protestant fundamentalist, developed as the monarch who would unit the british isles into a single state and ally the state with the protestant ascendency. History I doubt many people remember or think about, along with the English abortive foray into republicanism, execution of the last autocratic monarch and Guy Fawkes, the catholic instrument of a supposedly scottish conspiracy.

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram

I emant nationalism in the broad sense, i.e. "defending the interests of a particular state". Britain, like all the "developed countries", pushes its interests aroudn the world, and convinces its people, actively or most of the time passively, to accept this. To this extent I class it as "nationalism". But we could call it "patriotism". For the purposes of this thread it didn't really matter.
    "Of course we spent our money in the good times. That's what you're supposed to do in good times! You can't save money in the good times. Then they wouldn't be good times, they'd be 'preparation for the bad times' times."

"Every country in the world owes money. Everyone. So heere's what I dont get: who do they all owe it to, and why don't we just kill the bastard and relax?"

Banned
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

All of this because.. as we all know.. the USA has never been involved ,directly or indirectly, with any oil spills or disasters.. ever.

The score is now

Hypocrisy: 7263549506873727645 v.s. Common Sense: 0

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Arclight View Post
    All of this because.. as we all know.. the USA has never been involved ,directly or indirectly, with any oil spills or disasters.. ever.

The score is now

Hypocrisy: 7263549506873727645 v.s. Common Sense: 0
    Why is this of any relevance?

Banned
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

Quote Originally Posted by tcda View Post
    Why is this of any relevance?
    This is a thread about British people sticking up for themselves after something they have invested in or carries their national identity, has fucked up.
    The people effected by this fuck up are up in arms over it.. both the fuck up and the nationalistic defence of the fuck up.

These same people(The effected) have more blood oil on their hands than any other nation, and these same people staunchly defend their own fuck ups and nationalistic pride without relent.

But they dare to criticize others for behaving like they do?

Pointing out hypocrisy is always relevant in any discussion or debate.