User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    intp

Quote Originally Posted by Chunes View Post
    Someone wants people to think there is anti-British sentiment going around in America. It's a lie. I've not heard or seen anything condemning Britain. This is crap.

What the hell are we gonna do? Go to war with them because some asshat CEO tried to milk money from the government by letting his equipment fall into disrepair?
    It's just part of the long tradition of industry wreaking havoc and making out like bandits by cloaking itself in "the national interest." But it's so egregious in this case that I have to wonder what they're smoking across the pond.
    hoarding time and space
    A single event can awaken within us a stranger totally unknown to us. To live is to be slowly born.
    — Antoine de Saint-Exupery

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by INA View Post
    It's just part of the long tradition of industry wreaking havoc and making out like bandits by cloaking itself in "the national interest." But it's so egregious in this case that I have to wonder what they're smoking across the pond.
    Well the press are trying to make people believe that if BP share prices fall,t heir pensions will collapse, because BP pays in 1/7 of all dividends to UK pension funds.

Really the question should be, what kind of an insane system makes your pension depndent on the share prices of of a handful of multinational companies?

@ Oberon - I actually agree with your last post, is that a first?
    "Of course we spent our money in the good times. That's what you're supposed to do in good times! You can't save money in the good times. Then they wouldn't be good times, they'd be 'preparation for the bad times' times."

"Every country in the world owes money. Everyone. So heere's what I dont get: who do they all owe it to, and why don't we just kill the bastard and relax?"

-Tommy Tiernan, Irish comedian.

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by tcda View Post
    Well the press are trying to make people believe that if BP share prices fall,t heir pensions will collapse, because BP pays in 1/7 of all dividends to UK pension funds.

Really the question should be, what kind of an insane system makes your pension depndent on the share prices of of a handful of multinational companies?

@ Oberon - I actually agree with your last post, is that a first?
    Holy crap I'm agreeing with you too. Making 1/7th of your pension dependent on one company is stupid, making it all dependent on the same type of company is stupid, too.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    9w1

Or it could be smart. (This company is too important to fail!)
    "If you would convince a man that he does wrong, do right. But do not care to convince him. Men will believe what they see. Let them see."
    Thoreau

I had wondered was there a possibility that the UK government may try to seize the plant because, apart from anything else, the US navy could probably muster more of a fleet to collect the oil being gathered by funnal already, BP has one tanker, which cant hold all that is being collected and all that's being collected is not all that's being expressed and not all that could be collected by the same means.

The concern about clean up and shoreline is ultimately bluff, its finite resources which the US military could be storing up for future use, especially if its likely that peak oil has already been reached.

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    I haven't heard any "anti-British rhetoric".

I bet 90% of the American public doesn't know what "BP" was an acronym for.
    Until recently, I had thought "BP" was a short way of saying "Blimpie's," and I assumed that sandwich-store chain and that oil company were under the same corporation or something. (Blimpie's restaurants are often attached to BP gas stations, or any gas stations, really.)

The TV news, in the aftermath of the spill, is where I first heard the long-name: "British Petroleum," and thought it was a funny piece of trivia, right there.
    You can't spell "justice" without ISTJ.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

Quote Originally Posted by Cimarron View Post
    Until recently, I had thought "BP" was a short way of saying "Blimpie's," and I assumed that sandwich-store chain and that oil company were under the same corporation or something. (Blimpie's restaurants are often attached to BP gas stations, or any gas stations, really.)

The TV news, in the aftermath of the spill, is where I first heard the long-name: "British Petroleum," and thought it was a funny piece of trivia, right there.
    I don't even think BP stands for that anymore.

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

BP is the 4th largest company in the world. They don't need your petty British nationalism to defend them!

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    I don't even think BP stands for that anymore.
    They changed it to "Better Petroleum," but because Americans don't use the word Petrol they still think it's British.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

Senior Member compulsiverambler's Avatar
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so

I might be wrong but I really sense the papers are on their own with this one (with the exception of Boris Johnson, inexplicably the London Mayor, and trust me, no one here is going to assume that what that man says must have some truth in it, including his own supporters and party; just look at the number of hits you get by searching for his name with the word 'buffoon' ).

Must have been a slow news day. They probably calculated that a lot of people lose their minds during World Cup season and won't notice the absurdity of any nationalistic cause they try to push. They have shown themselves to think very little of their readership before.

Saw a headline as I logged on yesterday, something like 'Obama says oil controversy nothing to do with national identity' and thought God, how embarrassing...

You do realise as well that no British people actually cared when Michelle touched the Queen, don't you?