123 Last

What is, is. Arthur Schopenhauer's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INTj

Default Wirty Dords - They Is Bad?

I know these sort of ethnic debates have become commonplace, I've seen more than a couple, especially on YT and various news articles, so everyone should be familiar with them, and perhaps some of us have come to a decision on the topic; I know that I have, and this quote accurately sums up the basic foundation of my opinion: Source: Nigga

Comedian Chris Rock's routine "Niggas vs. Black People" distinguishes a nigga, which he defined as a "low-expectation-having motherfucker", from a "black person". In contrast, Tupac Shakur in an interview in the documentary Tupac: Resurrection distinguished between nigger and nigga: "Niggers was the ones on the rope, hanging off the thing; niggas is the ones with gold ropes, hanging out at clubs."[citation needed]
    The current subject: source: Nigger Versus Nigga!

A common place of contention amongst black youth (and indeed, the youth in general) is the usage of the word nigga vs. nigger. Nigga is often used synonymously with, and in the same sense as, other less controversial slang words such as dude and guy. Many older black people argue that the change in pronunciation is not enough to successfully separate the word as young people would have it used from its older, more offensive roots. In fact, this claim is not without merit, since certain non-rhotic regional pronuniciations of the words render them virtually identical in pronunciation. Thus, it would be impossible for someone in such a situation to determine whether the phrase "what up, my nigga" was an insult or an endearment. In some places, the usage of nigga is closely monitored, to the extent that it would be an insult to say "Hey you niggas" (grammatically analogous to "Hey you guys") but saying "what up my niggas" (a usage which would seemingly connote condescendence and superiority) would be perfectly acceptable.

"Nigga," if one considers it as an entity separate from "nigger," may be even more complex in usage, because generally its use as an endearment or an insult is dependent almost solely on the listener's interpretation when spoken to. Generally, it is best to use the word only in situations where one is absolutely sure that it is acceptable (such as after hearing it used casually by the person one is talking to.)
    Some interesting history on the original word: Nigger - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So, I'm not creating this topic in order to start shit, I'm genuinely interested in peoples opinions. Apparently, white people are even offended by the word -as I found out recently, apparently. This reraised the question this topic presents within me.

I don't know, guys. Opinions please!
    INTJ | 5w4 - Sp/Sx/So | 5-4-(9/1) | RLoEI | Melancholic-Choleric | Johari & Nohari

This will not end well...
    But it will at least be poetic, I suppose...

Hmm... But what if it does end well?
    Then I suppose it will be a different sort of poetry, a preferable sort...
    A sort I could become accustomed to...

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INTj

Bumpitty-glitched thread-Bump.
    INTJ | 5w4 - Sp/Sx/So | 5-4-(9/1) | RLoEI | Melancholic-Choleric | Johari & Nohari

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5/8
    Socionics
    ENTp None

Eh. Generally, it's bad form to use words that evoke painful concepts of social inequality. Shows a lack of sensitivity, as well as a deficiency in insight in terms how those words were often used to dehumanize and degrade minority elements in culture.

That said, there's something to be said for "owning" the word by taking back the negative connotation of its use and redirecting it into something positive/less harsh. This is kind of a prickly scenario, even if the user is of the abused cultural group, as one risks marginalizing others who are used to the more traditional use of the term -- your example is probably a good illustration of this dichotomy.

So, it's a hard decision to make. Probably best to just leave the word out of your daily cuisine, and instead allow the cultural wounds to heal naturally with time and social progress.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sp/sx

I generally use an individuals word choices to measure their quality/education.

Are they actually people I want to be associated with?

Seems society is de-evolving rapidly. It reminds me of the movie Idiocrasy.

And I say to myself, "oh, my gosh! I'm surrounded by retards!"

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by sLiPpY View Post
    I generally use an individuals word choices to measure their quality/education.

Are they actually people I want to be associated with?

Seems society is de-evolving rapidly. It reminds me of the movie Idiocrasy.

And I say to myself, "oh, my gosh! I'm surrounded by retards!"
    How racist of you.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by MagnificentMind View Post
    How racist of you.
    It's too early in the day to play the race card. According to Al Sharpton the race card can only be played after 7PM.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

It's more about context than the actual word, usually. Nigger by itself shouldn't really be bad, because it's not used with any directional force. As soon as someone calls someone a nigger...well, you better get outta there, even if the person wasn't using it in an insulting or directed context (some people hear the word and get upset).

Some people are scared of certain words because of how they are brought up, and noticing certain trends in language and respecting them. I don't respect them, but I respect my pretty face enough not to use those words where someone might hear them, get angry, and beat me into a coma.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

why bother when the word dude exists?
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    why bother when the word dude exists?
    shh!! That's SPTM!

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by sLiPpY View Post
    shh!! That's SPTM!
    dude, chill... I'm just pointing out how much better the world would be if EVERYONE was an SP!
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett