First 5678 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5&4 sx
    Socionics
    INFj

Quote Originally Posted by cafe View Post
    I kind of see us as a humongous two-year old. We're very egotistical and impulsive, but well-meaning and playful. We aren't afraid of real stuff that is dangerous, but we are afraid of the boogieman. We'll try anything once, especially if we're told we can't do it. We demand entertainment and want candy.

We're kinda cute unless you are holding candy we want or we accidentally step on you or we need a nap.
    YES.

So true!

Quote Originally Posted by Take Five View Post
    hollywood can be seen as either really good or really bad
    you can work your ass off and have it pay off... most of the time
    jazz AND HIP HOP!
    space program
    FDR, JFK, and MLK
    constitution our particular constitution, yes
    big hearts and generosity for the most part
    I'd also add fierce patriotism (sometimes a double-edged sword), vast educational opportunities, acknowledgment of inalienable rights, emphasis on equality and liberty as part of the vertebrae of our system of government, diversity, our sphere of influence, and rugged individualism as a distinctly cultural principle to the list of Why America Rocks So Hard!.

On a less serious note, that grits and buffets are uniquely American makes me sooooooooo happy to be one Seriously.

Smile The Dollar

The USA has been the largest economy in the world for more than one hundred years and remains the country with the largest economy today.

And the USA owns, controls and prints the Reserve Currency of the world.

Everything else flows from this.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ILE

The US constitution which gives us the potential for being great. The idea of individual liberties and limited and separated government powers. The open spaces, parks, natural resources, forests, mountains, deserts. Will to continue to endeavor, mind for invention. Most of the people mean well...and we ain't China or [former] USSR.

If we could prevent the corporate/elite control over government, have a more attentive representative government of the people and limit the invasiveness of our foreign policies we could live up to our potential.

Oh yeah, also being able to have guns is totally cool too.
    I redact everything I have written or will write on this forum prior to, subsequent with and or after the fact of its writing. For entertainment purposes only and not to be taken seriously nor literally.

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    Spamtar - a strange combination of boorish drunkeness and erudite discussions, or what I call "an Irish academic"

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram

I like the technological dynamism, the National Park Service, the world class university system, the skylines, and the way America relentlessly and ruthlessly assimilates everything like Borg. Resistance, they say, is futile.

MBTI
    ISTP

What do I like?:

- Gun Rights. I am 100% unapologetic about this one, I like em.
    - However flawed it may be, I like the country and people within it. I like that there are so many vastly different regional cultures within the US to visit.

- The sheer vastness of many of our national parks and really, most of the areas outside of the Coasts (including the great lakes). The concept that I can go places and be a huge distance away from any major population of people, is nice. This is the one many people seem not to get. "What do you mean there's almost no mass transit in these states?" "You realize there is one two lane road, and a handful of people per square mile in most of those states, right?" "No...."

There are many other things as well, like individualism and the entrepreneurial/innovative spirit that I like too.
    I-95%, S-84%, T-89%, P-84%

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5&4 sx
    Socionics
    INFj

Yeah, national parks is a good one. One of my closest friends just got back from Yellowstone, and she can't get over how beautiful it was there.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    468 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII None

Deep fried Twinkies

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by millerm277 View Post
    - The sheer vastness of many of our national parks and really, most of the areas outside of the Coasts (including the great lakes). The concept that I can go places and be a huge distance away from any major population of people, is nice. This is the one many people seem not to get. "What do you mean there's almost no mass transit in these states?" "You realize there is one two lane road, and a handful of people per square mile in most of those states, right?" "No...."
    Yeah, when I was trying to go to the University of Indiana (huge university!), I had to go down a 2-lane road for 40 minutes, and we saw a field of grazing buffalo! Quite awesome. Even though I live by what most consider a "major metropolitan area" (or not), I'm always astonished by how close I live to the middle of nowhere, too.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    Yeah, when I was trying to go to the University of Indiana (huge university!), I had to go down a 2-lane road for 40 minutes, and we saw a field of grazing buffalo! Quite awesome. Even though I live by what most consider a "major metropolitan area" (or not), I'm always astonished by how close I live to the middle of nowhere, too.
    IU Bloomington is smack in the middle of God's Country, IMO.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

Senior Member compulsiverambler's Avatar
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so

-Research, recognition, diagnosis and treatment (at least for those who can afford it) of mental disorders possibly the best/least inadequate in the world. Without the influence of the USA I probably still wouldn't have access to methylphenidate or appropriate cognitive behavioural therapy, which is a chilling thought. I'd probably be dead, homeless or an alcoholic. Sorry to start heavy...

-An optimistic, outgoing spirit

-Some great political satire

-Pivotal role in the spreading of Buddhist mindfulness psychology and practice around the world and the effective incorporation of it into Western therapy and criminal rehabilitation

-Walt Disney's work and some fantastic films

-Lots of charitable campaign groups actively engaging in democracy and public discourse

-Jazz music

-Waffles (I assume they invented them anyway...)

-That guy in another thread who's making a time machine

-Awesome use of the word awesome