User Tag List

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Why are Americans so Awesome?

INFj None

The constitution and lots of arable land.

I kind of see us as a humongous two-year old. We're very egotistical and impulsive, but well-meaning and playful. We aren't afraid of real stuff that is dangerous, but we are afraid of the boogieman. We'll try anything once, especially if we're told we can't do it. We demand entertainment and want candy.

We're kinda cute unless you are holding candy we want or we accidentally step on you or we need a nap.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

We don't decapitate as many people

and we have thickburgers

innate sense of republicanism
    armed citizenry
    folk music(think Appalachian, not hippie crap)
    free speech
    fairly interesting history(especially Civil War)
    traditions of regionalism and localism

Big horizons, big dreams, big hearts, big arsenal. Nothing compares.

It's the main ingredient in our blood

Supreme Allied Commander Array Take Five's Avatar

being the world champion of anti-communism
    g-men vs gangsters
    good record as world power
    biggest navy by far
    you can work your ass off and have it pay off
    fighting spirit
    popular support for armed services
    space program
    eisenhower, truman, and reagan
    the two party system
    big hearts and generosity
    Johari Nohari

"If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. "--Niccolo Machiavelli

Don't Judge Me! Array Haphazard's Avatar

I love how America's history is so mercifully short. I look at the histories of "old" countries and they're a total fuckfest of wars and takeovers and untakeovers and strategic marriages and it's fucking crazy. America doesn't put up with that shit, we came into the world bloody and kicking and screaming and quickly and that's all we have to teach.

Also: America does the stupid and expensive things so you don't have to. You know, kind of like the Mythbusters.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

veteran attention whore Array Jeffster's Avatar
    7w6 sx
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Katsuni View Post
    I have a good number of close friends from the states, so it can't be all bad if it produced them =3

Two of which even come from texas... so really, there must be something going on 'right' there. I have no clue whot that is, but there has to be SOMETHING.

Americans as a whole are not really all that great though, I'm afraid. But they have given rise to some true greatness from time to time through sheer volume of people and having potential for greatness to actually make USE of that. Most communist countries, the 'greatness' that may be inherent, never really gets a chance to surface. It's shoved under the rug, starved, or withheld.

So no, I can't really say that much good about the states; anything I wanted to ended up being "oh yeah that's just whot they say not whot they do", or similar along those lines. For the people themselves, the northern reaches seem to be pretty good people for the most part; most of the southern states kind of make me feel bad that the northern states have to be associated with them, because it gives the northern states a bad rep for stuff they didn't even do. And honestly, the "average" person, no matter where yeu go, is "average". That's why they're the "average" person.

If these same americans grew up in some third world country, they'd work much harder than they do... because they'd HAVE to in order to survive. Location is everything, or well not everything, but it plays a pretty major role. Circumstances determine how one is cultivated in growing up, and admittedly the states has a pretty cushy living spot... kinda. Or at least that's whot they want the world to believe. Honestly, there's so few social nets and so weak of ones at that, that living 1 paycheck away from living on the street is not that uncommon. This has built a character into the american middle class that, although nowheres near true greatness, does allow them to put forth additional effort than others may be willing to in similar circumstances.

The americans who aren't whiny, the-world-owes-me, stuck up, self centered, hypocritical, egotistical, holier-than-thou jerks, have alot to owe to the country they live in. Often, having to live side by side with people like that is the one thing that makes yeu realize how irritating to the core those people are, and will prevent yeu from gaining most of those tendencies yeurself.

That being said, Lark's list of "why AMERICANS are great", had very, very little to do with why americans are great at all. It mentioned american institutions, or things made by them, but nothing about why THEY were great as a people or a culture, or as individuals.

The end result, is that the average american really isn't that awesome, but fortunately, with their culture as it is, they haven't fallen nearly as far as many others have. Yeur biggest advantage is the culture yeu have which keeps yeu from depravity on average. There's far too many that fall through the cracks, honestly, but yeu do well in keeping MOST people from having that happen to them. Still significantly better than russia or china, and all things considered, that is something to be happy with.

There's alot of truly good peeps in the states. People who deserve recognition they never get. People who, if they went on vacation in europe, would be looked down upon for the mere fact that they're americans. They deserve more than that, and they deserve to be given some credit for who they are, not whot those around them act like. As they are able to tolerate such, and accept that the rest of the world hates them, and it doesn't break them, and they still are descent people despite that... this is something that shows me there is hope left for the human race. Maybe not alot of hope, but it is there, and many americans are at the forefront of that small wave of hope for me. It's not much, but we take solace in whot we can find, and for me, that's been quite a few american friends. Keep doing whot yeu do, and don't let the others bring yeu down; use their pretentious behaviour to pull yeurselves above them. Yeu've earned it =3
    Because we don't make spell-check go berserk like this person. And we get to the damn point!
    Jeffster Illustrates the Artisan Temperament <---- click here

"I like the sigs with quotes in them from other forum members." -- Oberon

The SP Spazz Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Walking Tourist View Post
    Why Americans are awesome
    This is just a start. Please add to the list:
    (in no particular order)

Ashcan school
    Hudson River School
    American impressionism and tonalism (James McNeil Whistler and many others)

I love baseball, I love sports jackets like the one that Eddie Murphy has in the two first Beverly Hills Cop movies.

Music wise there's also Creedence Clearwater Revival and Blue Grass.

Food wise there's an amazing selection of various cultures and cross over dishes to choose from.

Probably Most Brilliant Array Craft's Avatar
    5w7 sx/so

Hot Women?

Heh, progressive and liberal institution. And Harvard(representation of educational progress) I guess.