`~~Philosoflying~~` SillySapienne's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    Reminds me of a quote I found:
    "Anonymous 05/18/10(Tue)19:25 No.6081953

Britfag here, I've been in America for the past three years. The world needs heroes more and more at the moment. The heroes that have meant the most to me over the last 3 and a half years have been you, the American people, you are all heroes. In fact, give yourself a round of applause now.

I'll tell you why you're all heroes, because the American people are fucking idiots. I mean that as the highest form of compliment a human being could possibly issue. The world needs idiots. Idiots get things done, they don't waste time thinking and planning things. Do you honestly think any other country could have put a man on the moon? Of course not. That is a fucking stupid thing to do, only America could pull that off. Only America would send his friend up there a few years later with a set of golf clubs so he could whack a few balls around, it makes complete sense if you don't really think about it. This last year you bombed the moon, you did it, you bombed the moon. You wanted to see if there was water so you BOMBED the moon. The moon got bombed and you did it, not because it was easy but because it was bloody hard. And not only did you bomb the moon, you did it at the time of the greatest financial melt-down of our lifetimes. Like you're little treat to the rest of the world: 'put your money away world, that was on uncle sam.' The world should be lining up to thank you people.

Tl;dr: god bless america."
    `
    'Cause you can't handle me...

"A lie is a lie even if everyone believes it. The truth is the truth even if nobody believes it." - David Stevens

"That that is, is. That that is not, is not. Is that it? It is."

Veritatem dies aperit

Ride si sapis

Intelligentle sparkles

`~~Philosoflying~~` SillySapienne's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

I hear this question and I wonder something, that is, there must be something about America that is appealing, by some degree, we all immigrated here, why did my father go to such leaps and bounds to move from Poland, to France, to Canada, to here, and why did my mother nearly die to smuggle into South Korea, and then she and her entire family patiently wait, one by one, to legitimately come to The States.

There must be some kind of appeal, here.

Is it governmental, environmental, educational, cultural, economic?

I really don't know.

Just some rambling thoughts.
    `
    'Cause you can't handle me...

"A lie is a lie even if everyone believes it. The truth is the truth even if nobody believes it." - David Stevens

"That that is, is. That that is not, is not. Is that it? It is."

Veritatem dies aperit

Ride si sapis

Intelligentle sparkles

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Its cultural. And butts.

Although Scotland still does those better. Scotland for the win on women front, at very least, but US is still awesome.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

chutzpah
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Americans are awesome because they are a blend of all different parts of the world. Americans come in all sorts of ethnicities with all different types of cultural backgrounds. Except for people who are 100% Native American, everyone or their recent ancestors came here as immigrants. Most of us who have been here for a few generations are some kind of mutt. Bringing that together peacefully is really a testament to something.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    3w4?

I have a good number of close friends from the states, so it can't be all bad if it produced them =3

Two of which even come from texas... so really, there must be something going on 'right' there. I have no clue whot that is, but there has to be SOMETHING.

Americans as a whole are not really all that great though, I'm afraid. But they have given rise to some true greatness from time to time through sheer volume of people and having potential for greatness to actually make USE of that. Most communist countries, the 'greatness' that may be inherent, never really gets a chance to surface. It's shoved under the rug, starved, or withheld.

So no, I can't really say that much good about the states; anything I wanted to ended up being "oh yeah that's just whot they say not whot they do", or similar along those lines. For the people themselves, the northern reaches seem to be pretty good people for the most part; most of the southern states kind of make me feel bad that the northern states have to be associated with them, because it gives the northern states a bad rep for stuff they didn't even do. And honestly, the "average" person, no matter where yeu go, is "average". That's why they're the "average" person.

If these same americans grew up in some third world country, they'd work much harder than they do... because they'd HAVE to in order to survive. Location is everything, or well not everything, but it plays a pretty major role. Circumstances determine how one is cultivated in growing up, and admittedly the states has a pretty cushy living spot... kinda. Or at least that's whot they want the world to believe. Honestly, there's so few social nets and so weak of ones at that, that living 1 paycheck away from living on the street is not that uncommon. This has built a character into the american middle class that, although nowheres near true greatness, does allow them to put forth additional effort than others may be willing to in similar circumstances.

The americans who aren't whiny, the-world-owes-me, stuck up, self centered, hypocritical, egotistical, holier-than-thou jerks, have alot to owe to the country they live in. Often, having to live side by side with people like that is the one thing that makes yeu realize how irritating to the core those people are, and will prevent yeu from gaining most of those tendencies yeurself.

That being said, Lark's list of "why AMERICANS are great", had very, very little to do with why americans are great at all. It mentioned american institutions, or things made by them, but nothing about why THEY were great as a people or a culture, or as individuals.

The end result, is that the average american really isn't that awesome, but fortunately, with their culture as it is, they haven't fallen nearly as far as many others have. Yeur biggest advantage is the culture yeu have which keeps yeu from depravity on average. There's far too many that fall through the cracks, honestly, but yeu do well in keeping MOST people from having that happen to them. Still significantly better than russia or china, and all things considered, that is something to be happy with.

There's alot of truly good peeps in the states. People who deserve recognition they never get. People who, if they went on vacation in europe, would be looked down upon for the mere fact that they're americans. They deserve more than that, and they deserve to be given some credit for who they are, not whot those around them act like. As they are able to tolerate such, and accept that the rest of the world hates them, and it doesn't break them, and they still are descent people despite that... this is something that shows me there is hope left for the human race. Maybe not alot of hope, but it is there, and many americans are at the forefront of that small wave of hope for me. It's not much, but we take solace in whot we can find, and for me, that's been quite a few american friends. Keep doing whot yeu do, and don't let the others bring yeu down; use their pretentious behaviour to pull yeurselves above them. Yeu've earned it =3

MBTI
    ISTJ

Because of our Second Amendment! Because with that, we can enforce justice and defend ourselves without having to rely on someone else!
    Freedom Isn't Free. [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    esfp
    Enneagram

Why Americans are awesome
    This is just a start. Please add to the list:
    (in no particular order)
    Music:
    Jazz
    Dixieland

Art:
    Ashcan school
    Hudson River School
    American impressionism and tonalism (James McNeil Whistler and many others)

Sports:
    Baseball!
    I'm a little teapot, short and stout. Here is my handle and here is my spout. Every time I steam up, I give a shout. Just tip me over and pour me out.

MBTI
    INTP

The Constitution and the principles upon which it is based.

The resilient spirit of hope, purpose, and independence which permeates our culture.

MBTI
    esfp
    Enneagram

Edgar Allen Poe, who created horror stories!!!
    I'm a little teapot, short and stout. Here is my handle and here is my spout. Every time I steam up, I give a shout. Just tip me over and pour me out.