User Tag List

First 45678 Last

Results 51 to 60 of 134

  1. #51
    Senior Member Scott N Denver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Posts
    2,899

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mochajava View Post
    Is there an INFJ country? I wonder what that society would look like. Buenos Aires?
    according to Brent Massey's "Where do I belong", the answer is no.

    Japan is ISFJ [having been there personally I will concur, definitely don't see anything Ni about it]
    China is apparently ISFP
    For contrast, Hawaii and Brazil would be ESFP.

  2. #52
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    25,301

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Scott N Denver View Post
    according to Brent Massey's "Where do I belong", the answer is no.

    Japan is ISFJ [having been there personally I will concur, definitely don't see anything Ni about it]
    China is apparently ISFP
    For contrast, Hawaii and Brazil would be ESFP.
    If there's nothing N about Japanese culture, how come their version of the same horror movies are so much more subliminal creepy and wacked out than ours?

  3. #53
    Senior Member Scott N Denver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Posts
    2,899

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by marmalade.sunrise View Post
    If there's nothing N about Japanese culture, how come their version of the same horror movies are so much more subliminal creepy and wacked out than ours?
    Well, I've never seen there horror movies, but maybe they just have better authors/directors than we do, or their authors/directors personal visions swing more that way?

    Page 178 of Massey's "Where do I belong" starts his pages-long description of why Japan is, in his evaluation, ISFJ. His wife is from there btw, and ISFJ as well. He's INFP. Anyways, I've seen him come on forums and posts asking people to please not quote his book, probably because its not really a big seller. So I'll avoid any long quotes, and simply say "Si" "tradition" "collective" "collective tradition" "[product] efficiency/comfortableness/usefulness" etc, cxheck out his book its very interesting and I highly recommend it. Oh, and did I mention "tradition"?

  4. #54
    Reptilian Snuggletron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    10
    Posts
    2,233

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kiddo
    1776-1790s = INTJ (Stong libertarian ideals, individualism, and desire to build something new that works)
    1860s-doomsday = Reptiles
    ,_,

  5. #55
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    25,301

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Scott N Denver View Post
    Well, I've never seen there horror movies, but maybe they just have better authors/directors than we do, or their authors/directors personal visions swing more that way?

    Page 178 of Massey's "Where do I belong" starts his pages-long description of why Japan is, in his evaluation, ISFJ. His wife is from there btw, and ISFJ as well. He's INFP. Anyways, I've seen him come on forums and posts asking people to please not quote his book, probably because its not really a big seller. So I'll avoid any long quotes, and simply say "Si" "tradition" "collective" "collective tradition" "[product] efficiency/comfortableness/usefulness" etc, cxheck out his book its very interesting and I highly recommend it. Oh, and did I mention "tradition"?
    I don't think it's just "better authors/directors" I think it's an overall cultural vibe for other reasons. It's not just their horror. I think their "visions" swing more that way because of an overall N vibe in the artistic and creative culture, and this extends to other mediums.

    I've seen this man's book be pretty strongly criticized by other forumers. I don't take his country typings as gospel. However, I'm not going to get in a huge fight over Japan because I don't claim to be an expert on their culture.

  6. #56
    Senior Member Scott N Denver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Posts
    2,899

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by marmalade.sunrise View Post
    I don't think it's just "better authors/directors" I think it's an overall cultural vibe for other reasons. It's not just their horror. I think their "visions" swing more that way because of an overall N vibe in the artistic and creative culture, and this extends to other mediums.

    I've seen this man's book be pretty strongly criticized by other forumers. I don't take his country typings as gospel. However, I'm not going to get in a huge fight over Japan because I don't claim to be an expert on their culture.
    He is no professional MBTI-er, Kroeger and Theusen or Tieger+Barron-Tieger ARE, and outright points out that his non-authoritative method was to ask residents of countries what THEY thought their country was, MBTI-wise. So gospel, definitely not. Even "MBTI" official, nope. But I'll grant him his evaluation on Japan.

    I've seen some real assaults on his book as well, and its definitely less "authoritative" than, say Thompson's "Personality Type". What I like about it though is that is goes into functions [Si, Fe, etc], and is easily readable and quite accessible. His examples are easily relatable to.

    Any major group or culture will, of course, have sub-cultures and sub-groups. Maybe Japan has significant N-focused subgroups? Heck, Thompson talks about how INFJ's are such a small portion of the american population, but have had profound influence on our collective psyche, for example through Star Wars.

  7. #57
    violaine
    Guest

    Default

    Putting aside the merit of typing countries seriously... I'm going with SJ for Japan. I've been there a bit. The dominant culture is definitely SJ. Society is extremely mannered and governed by etiquette. There is a creativity, (I'm thinking of the advertising in particular) but the gender roles are extremely conservative. Even as expressed in advertising. Girls/women should be cute. That's that. None of this is meant as an attack on SJs btw. The overt politeness is amazing and I never feel like I will ever really be in trouble there because there is always a very kind stranger who will help me out.

    There is a way to do things as well. The right way. Even the backlash from that is done in a rather prescribed way, to this outsider's eyes anyway. e.g. Lolita goths. Or trying to look deliberately nonchalant by turning up your collared shirt a little - those people will still ride the train the right way, order from a restaurant the right way. Etc.

    I try to make sure I don't do anything that anyone else is not doing if I want to avoid embarrassment. (Sometimes, Idc. And also a little difficult if you are sensotarded.)

    e.g. A place I like to go for coffee and reading magazines has a limit on the amount of magazines you may read (one.) I had three and someone came over to tell me this and (ever so politely) confiscate my excess magazine-age. Lol. It was done sooo seriously. I felt like a naughty child.

    I also plugged in at a Starbucks one day to charge my laptop. I kinda thought it was a no-no but I went for it anyway. In hindsight the stealthy circling of one of the baristas should have tipped me off that it was not allowed. A security guard in full white glove dress, no less, then came and told me that I had to unplug. With crossed fingers to indicate 'bad'. :/ Lol. I tell you, all those important looking uniforms make it a nightmare for those with an authority complex.

  8. #58
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_
    Posts
    10,733

    Default

    Japan seems heavily SJ.

    I don't think I can fully type a country with all four letters, Keirsey's temperaments seem better.

    The USA is an SJ culture that idealizes SP.
    Germany is an SJ culture that idealizes NT.
    France is an SP culture that idealizes NF.
    Canada is boring.

  9. #59
    violaine
    Guest

    Default

    ^Oh, I like those qualifiers. They add the other dimension needed.

  10. #60
    Away with the fairies Southern Kross's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 so/sp
    Posts
    2,912

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by marmalade.sunrise View Post
    If there's nothing N about Japanese culture, how come their version of the same horror movies are so much more subliminal creepy and wacked out than ours?
    Quote Originally Posted by marmalade.sunrise View Post
    I don't think it's just "better authors/directors" I think it's an overall cultural vibe for other reasons. It's not just their horror. I think their "visions" swing more that way because of an overall N vibe in the artistic and creative culture, and this extends to other mediums.
    I think this is more to do with what Japan suppressed as a culture, and Horror in particular is often about suppressed thoughts and desires.

    New Zealand cinema for many years (it has veered away from this more lately) was driven by what was called 'the cinema of unease' or Kiwi-noir. It is very dark, brooding and heavy, often about disturbed minds, despite the fact that this could not be further from the NZ culture. People here are very happy-go-lucky, laid back and easy going, lacking any real desire for introspection or interest in intellectual exploration of the human psyche. But these are the things that the culture attempts to control/hide/deny and our cinema is about what might happen if these things were unleashed.

    You have to remember that artists and intellectuals are often the very people that challenge the prevailing culture.

    [/film geek lecture]
    INFP 4w5 so/sp

    I've dreamt in my life dreams that have stayed with me ever after, and changed my ideas;
    they've gone through and through me, like wine through water, and altered the colour of my mind.

    - Emily Bronte

Similar Threads

  1. What is Barack Obama's type?
    By Triglav in forum Popular Culture and Type
    Replies: 140
    Last Post: 08-03-2014, 01:04 PM
  2. What Is My Sister's Type?
    By FallaciaSonata in forum What's my Type?
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 09-15-2009, 09:37 PM
  3. What expectations about your MBTI type do you not fit?
    By Misty_Mountain_Rose in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 69
    Last Post: 05-29-2009, 09:12 PM
  4. What is this guys personality type?
    By titanguy in forum Popular Culture and Type
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 10-31-2008, 10:35 AM
  5. What is the most paranoid type?
    By Kiddo in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 42
    Last Post: 10-12-2007, 07:22 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO