User Tag List

123 Last

Default Can US be saved from collapsing ?

I am not from he US but I find this topic quite "interesting". Especially since if US bankrupts that will be the end of Capitalism. (at least the version we are all familiar with). In a way that would be an end of an era in a certain way since the world after that would probably be a quite different place.

So the question is: Should we start digging the grave or the situation can be somehow salvaged ?

Also here are some thoughts and "statistics" about the problem(s).
    (to name some of them)

20 Reasons Why The U.S. Economy Is Dying And Is Simply Not Going To Recover

Opinions ?

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

I sure hope it can.

You think there's no consequences if this happens? I'd expect the country to turn fascist with terrible results at home and abroad.

MBTI
    ENTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    I sure hope it can.

You think there's no consequences if this happens? I'd expect the country to turn fascist with terrible results at home and abroad.
    That's one possibility, but if there is indeed a rapid and catastrophic economic collapse, the other possibility would be a civil war and/or breakup of the US regionally. The Northeast and Pacific Coast as one bloc, the South as another, and hard to say which way the Midwest and Rockies would go. Some states, like Montana and Vermont are already psychologically primed for secession.

MBTI
    INFP

It can't be saved FROM the collapse, just prepared to get out of after it happend.
    Well technically, the collapse already happend last year, but it hasen't crashed yet.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Antisocial one View Post
    So the question is: Should we start digging the grave or the situation can be somehow salvaged?
    The American government, both on the state and federal levels, has become too large for our economy to support. The official debt level masks the severity of the situation, because our MASSIVE public pension deficits are not counted as debt. And that's not even mentioning our private debt...

As our politicians cannot cut funding to popular (but bankrupting) programs and be re-elected, we don't have much hope. America is going the way of Greece.

---

Inflation is no answer, because as any student of macroeconomics and history can tell you, currency devaluation ruins nations.

For a moment, I thought INTJ123 was back.
    The future is for the unafraid.

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    I sure hope it can.

Actually the main reason why I have opened this thread is exactly becuse I think there will be VERY large global consequences of collapse of the US occures.

I am paying attention this for years now, even if I am not political or economic expert. The thing is that I think that it will "collapse" with time/soon so now I am only asking for a second opinion. (since I am not actually and expert or US citizen)

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Just Some Guy View Post
    That's one possibility, but if there is indeed a rapid and catastrophic economic collapse, the other possibility would be a civil war and/or breakup of the US regionally. The Northeast and Pacific Coast as one bloc, the South as another, and hard to say which way the Midwest and Rockies would go. Some states, like Montana and Vermont are already psychologically primed for secession.
    You're seriously kidding me.

I cant see that ever happening, if it did I'd guess that a single power would emerge and conquer neighbouring states again without much time passing, perhaps enforcing its own ideological agenda in the process.

The reality is that the USA is a unified single national identity, no matter how the much the differences between "Jesus Land" and the rest of it are exaggerated domestically or elsewhere, perhaps the EU could see states seceed or break away but not the US.

The ideologies of those sessessionist quarters of the US, the Tea Party people or Free State Project or whatever would make those regions seriously ripe pickings for robber baron corporate entities who'd quickly reduce them to the state of a bannana republic with a pittance of wage and zero cash circulating as a result, perhaps the wealth of the over lords would eventually provoke a rethink but I seriously doubt it.

Its the kind of thing that global rivals like China, Russia or some EU states would absolutely love to happen and I'd not be surprised if they were actively supporting the idea or agitators even. Like in God of War the guy said the clue to prosperity was not to go to war with yourselves.

MBTI
    ENTJ

Quote Originally Posted by eagleseven View Post
    The American government, both on the state and federal levels, has become too large for our economy to support. The official debt level masks the severity of the situation, because our MASSIVE public pension deficits are not counted as debt.

America is going the way of Greece.
    Right, but in both cases the government wanted to grow without raising taxes, and therein lies the problem. Not that I support government growth-- far from it-- but when GW Bush decides he's gonna cut taxes while engaging in massive deficit spending, it's not just government growth that's the problem, but lack of political will to fund it.

And I don't think the solution is to start going after public pensions, especially at a time in America where the average savings for working people is at a negative, and many people won't have enough money to retire as it is.

As our politicians cannot cut funding to popular (but bankrupting) programs and be re-elected, we don't have much hope.
    What programs?

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Just Some Guy View Post
    The Northeast and Pacific Coast as one bloc, the South as another, and hard to say which way the Midwest and Rockies would go. Some states, like Montana and Vermont are already psychologically primed for secession.
    I've heard multiple so-called analysts (usually from abroad) suggest this, only they provide no reason for the regions to exist! What unifies the Northeast? What unifies the Midwest? The Pacific Coast? Nothing that doesn't already unify the entire US.

Unlike smaller countries, each State Government in the US can remain functional without an intact Federal Government. The trains will continue to run.

If the US government does temporarily collapse, we will split into our respective states until a national government can be re-formed.