User Tag List

First 67891018 Last

Gotta catch you all! Blackmail!'s Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

Quote Originally Posted by bananatrombones View Post
    Because the Merrylanders buy cheap booze there.

Be aware, you mean cat with a monocle!

My fist is only a Channel away, and that's far less than the distance between Paris and Missouri! :steam:
    "A man who only drinks water has a secret to hide from his fellow-men" -Baudelaire

7w8 SCUxI

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Blackmail! View Post
    We also liked Bill Clinton a lot in France, especially because he had a special fondness for cigars.
    When that happened I was like six years old and had no idea what everyone was freaking out about.

Now I'm 17 and still have no idea.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    When that happened I was like six years old and had no idea what everyone was freaking out about.

Now I'm 17 and still have no idea.
    Ignorance is Bliss.
    "A man who only drinks water has a secret to hide from his fellow-men" -Baudelaire

7w8 SCUxI

So, truly, the world is bipolar: half think the French are snobs, the other half think the English are snobs.

Wait, I thought Americans thought both were snobs, but French are snobs who are more likely to disagree.
    And you don't even wanna know what the English, Welsh, Scots and Irish think of each other. ...and everyone (except Americans) thinks Americans are arrogant.

Yeah, crazy old world, eh?
    I'm male and over 30, FYI.
    Preferences: 20% Extravert, 98% Intuitive, 68% Thinker, 17% Perceiving

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Well they make much better wine than we do. The food is not as good as everybody thinks though. Belgian food is much better for example.

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

MBTI
    GONE

I would say to be more specific that the French seem snobby about their *LANGUAGE* which is the a metaphour for culture. If you are learning French and you try to speak with a native French speaker they interrupt you and correct you QUICK with clear distaste or amusement. I've studied a few languages and only with the French have I had these kind of responses. An acquaintance who is fluent in French said she has gotten the response from a native Frenchman "Your French is so good, I thought you were Belgian" The "snobbery" is very subtle but it's there and she caught it.

When France was colonizing Africa and elsewhere the local colonial government offices were called "Departments of French Language" or something. The French Colonial mentality was very much that French culture transmuted through language was the conqueror, it was all powerful, all consuming, and SUPERIOR so it would basically supercede whatever 'base culture/language' you were starting with. I think that's actually part of the reason people have gone as far to say "racism doesn't exist in France" (which I LOL at). Once you become "francophied" you have become part of the French collective. You are "French".

Japanese colonial mentality was not so magnanimous.
    “If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

"I'm outtie 5000" ― Romulux

Johari/Nohari

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

Quote Originally Posted by highlander29 View Post
    Belgian food is much better for example.
    Are you kidding?

Belgian cuisine is one of the reasons why France would never accept to annex Wallonia.

It's one of the worst country for food, along with England and Israel.

---

Where have you been when you were in France? In which restaurants?

7w8 SCUxI

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

Quote Originally Posted by CzeCze View Post
    I would say to be more specific that the French seem snobby about their *LANGUAGE* which is the a metaphour for culture. If you are learning French and you try to speak with a native French speaker they interrupt you and correct you QUICK with clear distaste or amusement. I've studied a few languages and only with the French have I had these kind of responses. An acquaintance who is fluent in French said she has gotten the response from a native Frenchman "Your French is so good, I thought you were Belgian" The "snobbery" is very subtle but it's there and she caught it.

When France was colonizing Africa and elsewhere the local colonial government offices were called "Departments of French Language" or something. The French Colonial mentality was very much that French culture transmuted through language was the conqueror, it was all powerful, all consuming, and SUPERIOR so it would basically supercede whatever 'base culture/language' you were starting with. I think that's actually part of the reason people have gone as far to say "racism doesn't exist in France" (which I LOL at). Once you become "francophied" you have become part of the French collective. You are "French".

Japanese colonial mentality was not so magnanimous.
    Well. I'd say that the obvious obsession many Americans here have with French language is quite entertaining (it was fun to read EffEmm), but very, very far away from actual truth.

It's YOUR obsession, not ours. Stop projecting.

7w8 SCUxI

MBTI
    ENFJ

Do NOT put Israeli food with English food! They are not comparable, not at all!
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

Do NOT put Israeli food with English food! They are not comparable, not at all!
    Yes, you're right. But Israeli food is one of the reasons why I would never want to make my Aliyah. Have you ever tried to find a single decent restaurant in Jerusalem?

Israeli food is awful. And they have no excuse since they have excellent vegetables and farm products in kibbutzim.

7w8 SCUxI