User Tag List

First 91718192021 Last

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Blackmail! View Post
    That could explain the rivalry, as well as the mutual fascination and admiration we both have for each other.
    I thought that was because we were anglophones.

Anyway, next time you come to America, remember TO SPEAK IN ALL CAPS. IT IS VERY HELPFUL FOR US TO UNDERSTAND YOU.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

^ lol.

Well the French have some awesome foods.

I think they have the right to be snobbish then

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    It's a joke about the differences between British and American English. A good one, too.
    Oh, I see.

except we do do that on purpose

Gotta catch you all! Blackmail!'s Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeAppled View Post
    This just does not jive with what I hear people say who travel. I have a feeling there is maybe a combo of major bias on your side and general different perspectives on what is rude (ie. loud can be rude, or just different very ideas of what is appropriate - "close talkers" are considered rude in the US, and many French people seem to be "close talkers").

I find most Brits very loud when they come to the USA actually, and these surveys say that the French are considered the most rude & worst tourists:

Most Obnoxious Tourists? The French - TIME

The French top the worst tourist list...again
    I'm sorry, my dear OrangeAppled: these are fairy tales written to flatter the Ego of the average American/Briton reader.
    It's demagogy, popular press.

It's exactly like the Judgment of Paris about wines. It's a fairy tale, but if you want to believe in it, if you feel less insecure after having read this, then so be it.

But I guess that the conclusions of these articles are so weird and so extraordinary you must have doubts, don't you?

It's because they clearly stand against common sense, and like the second article admitted: it's "stereotypical French-bashing".

---

But if you want to say that French tourists can be as rude as American ones, yes, we may agree. Once again: our cultures are much more similar than what we would expect.
    "A man who only drinks water has a secret to hide from his fellow-men" -Baudelaire

7w8 SCUxI

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

I'm sorry, my dear OrangeAppled: these are fairy tales written to flatter the Ego of the average American reader.
    It's demagogy, popular press.

It's exactly like the Judgment of Paris about wines. It's a fairy tale, but if want to believe in it, if you feel less insecure after having read this, then so be it.

But I guess that the conclusions of these articles are so strange and so extraordinary you must have doubts, don't you?

It's because they'e against common sense.

---

But if you wnat to say that French tourists can be as rude as American ones, yes, we may agree. Once again: the cultures are much more similar than what we would expect.
    No, the articles were based on real, annual polls Expedia took from thousands of hotels & tourist locations. It's against my common sense to buy many of the stereotypes about Americans, when they directly contradict so many people I know. I can't see how your observations & experiences are more valid than mine.

I just think it's interesting how when negative things about other cultures are said, that it's written off as inaccurate, yet few question the validity of criticism against Americans.
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe

MBTI
    ENFJ

Peut-être n'as-tu tout simplement pas assez cherché?

Oui, ils projettent leurs propres peurs, sans se rendre compte que ces peurs ne fonctionnent principalement que dans un seul sens.
    Les anglais sont beaucoup plus obsédés par la France que les français ne le sont des anglais. Ce qui s'explique puisque nous fûmes leur seul voisin d'importance, leur seul clair rival historique. C'est hélas la triste vérité.

La façon dont la presse populaire d'Outre-Manche se déchaine régulièrement contre la France et ses habitants est là pour en témoigner. Cette hystérie n'existe pas chez nous, ça aussi c'est la vérité.
    Unless, of course, it's time for the 6 nations Rugby Championship.
    Mais, les anglais ont une obsession stalkereux avec l'EUA aussi. Par exemple, le "special relationship" entre le deux -- c'est un grand chose en Bretagne, mais ici? Des americains ne savent pas que ça existe.

Peut-être des anglais sont sujette à des obsessions.

MBTI
    ENFJ

I just think it's interesting how when negative things about other cultures are said, that it's written off as inaccurate, yet few question the validity of criticism against Americans.
    We are like the opposite of teflon.

Gotta catch you all! Blackmail!'s Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

No, the articles were based on real, annual polls Expedia took from thousands of hotels & tourist locations. It's against my common sense to buy many of the stereotypes about Americans, when they directly contradict so many people I know. I can't see how your observations & experiences are more valid than mine.

Once again, the articles you quoted are just "stereotypical French-bashing" (Like the second one you quoted eventually admitted). So if you want to believe this kind of crap, then so be it.

And you don't even seem to question their source and the financial interests they have, Expedia. Expedia is a fairly young American company which considers similar French companies as their worst rivals and competitors, since France is the first destination of the world for foreign tourists.

It's like trusting Boeing on what they say about Airbus.

It's all about money.
    "A man who only drinks water has a secret to hide from his fellow-men" -Baudelaire

7w8 SCUxI

Smile It's your shout.

When the East Timorese voted for Independence in a United Nations referendum, the response of their overlords was to continue torturing and killing them.

So the United Nations asked us to intervene to uphold their vote for national Independence.

We were unprepared to invade another nation, even nearby. But nothing daunted we hired large catamarans to transport our troops across the Timor Sea. And naturally we asked our friend and ally to help under the ANZUS Treaty (Australia, New Zealand and the United States), for we were facing a one million man army, less than well disposed towards us.

And having provided help to our friend and ally in similar situations, we expected the US to come to the aid of Oz and NZ in a moment of need. All, I might say, under the auspices of the United Nations.

But the US seemed deaf. We didn't know what to think. Was the US abrogating our Treaty and throwing their lot in with our enemy? Was the US hanging us our to dry?

Fortunately the Prime Minister lost his temper and rang the President and shouted at him.

To our surprise this did the trick and the US Ambassador was instructed to tell the overlords to keep their million man army at home. And so after twenty years of suffering, the East Timorese gained their Independence.

And we learnt that if we want the attention of the US, we need to shout.

Of course we ourselves have a ritual of shouting, for we shout one another beers at the pub, turn and turn about. "It's your shout", we say when someone is tardy in taking their turn to buy the beers.

But who would have guessed we would need to shout at the Americans? Who would have guessed that when the chips are down, we would need to remind the Americans, "It's your shout".

MBTI
    ENFJ

I think the English are probably the worst tourists, especially if they are from Sandwich. They will keep saying that they are from Sandwich and ask you if you know where it is, even if you obviously don't care. You have to say you're from Fankfurt to get them to shut up.