User Tag List

First 71516171819 Last

What is, is. Arthur Schopenhauer's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INTj

The French are so snobby because they are metrosexual pansies. Oh, and they, like snobbish Britian, took it up the ass from Germany so they think they've got something similar with those metrosexual tea-sipping Brits.

Goddamn metrosexuals.
    INTJ | 5w4 - Sp/Sx/So | 5-4-(9/1) | RLoEI | Melancholic-Choleric | Johari & Nohari

This will not end well...
    But it will at least be poetic, I suppose...

Hmm... But what if it does end well?
    Then I suppose it will be a different sort of poetry, a preferable sort...
    A sort I could become accustomed to...

Gotta catch you all! Blackmail!'s Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

It's interesting to read how much people have to say about Frenchmen and Frenchiness, even if we're not a lot to react on this thread.
    It's interesting to notice that many people think they have something to say about us, my country, our culture. France clearly is not a "neutral" subject for many of you, and I feel a bit flattered to discover this.

Even if such threads should be taken with a pinch of salt, I will try nonetheless to answer to some questions here.
    "A man who only drinks water has a secret to hide from his fellow-men" -Baudelaire

7w8 SCUxI

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by Blackmail! View Post
    It's interesting to notice that many people think they have something to say about us, my country, our culture.
    Welcome to the club, friend. I'm just glad that we in the USA are getting a break for a change. Our country is usually the topic of such discussions.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

First, the language issue.

Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    Well, if so many of us report it, is it really something we're projecting? Sometimes a culture's most painful flaws are the hardest to acknowledge. I enjoyed my time in Paris and liked the people. The language just seemed to be a sticking point.
    My Dear EffEm,

Yes, you're projecting. And what you're telling us is clearly a fabled nonsense. Like SouthernKross explained, Parisians aren't especially rude when they are tested experimentally. It's just a legend, a legend you've been trained to believe, and that probably affected your stay in France.
    It's typical of what we call cultural biases, and why sometimes they're so persistent.

Native English speakers are often ashamed to only speak one language, and in the same way, feel proud to discover their language is dominant in the West. It's contradictory feelings, because somehow, they feel like they're lazy and that they don't deserve that honor. So most of the time, they end projecting their own fears elsewhere, and France and Frenchmen often are the ideal scapegoat. Because as Proximo already explained, there is something well hidden within English identity: the fact it had been a French colony, and that their language has been deeply influenced by French like no other past language did. According to the Oxford dictionary, more than 60% of your words are of French origin.

And you still see the remnants of this past domination with this feeling of frustration expressed here by many native English speakers (not all).

The truth is that in France, the language issue is less and less important. Yes, we're proud of our language, of our cultural heritage, but not to the extremes described here. I'd say the situation is somewhat similar to the one you would notice in places like... say... Italy, Spain, Belgium and other similar countries... If there was a true resistance to the so-called "Anglo-Saxon imperialistic culture", then, how do you explain my presence here, and all the efforts I make while trying to write a decent English?
    I'm the one trying to speak your language, and I like it... but tell me, how many native English speakers do you see on French speaking fora?
    So yes, EffEm and Czecze, you're clearly projecting your own flaws, and they have little in common with the real flaws that relates to French modern society.
    "A man who only drinks water has a secret to hide from his fellow-men" -Baudelaire

7w8 SCUxI

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    Welcome to the club, friend. I'm just glad that we in the USA are getting a break for a change. Our country is usually the topic of such discussions.
    Unfortunately, yes. But have you noticed that most of the time, I try to avoid such topics?

7w8 SCUxI

MBTI
    ENFJ

Je ne peux pas trouver des "foras" français, malheureusement. Le livejournal en français pour hetalia n'est que les pays francophones, pas touts des pays, comme le livejournal en anglais. Ce n'est pas juste!

Je pense que les anglophones ont peur des foras français, pour la même raison.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    Je ne peux pas trouver des "foras" français, malheureusement. Le livejournal en français pour hetalia n'est que les pays francophones, pas touts des pays, comme le livejournal en anglais. Ce n'est pas juste!
    Peut-être n'as-tu tout simplement pas assez cherché?

Je pense que les anglophones ont peur des foras français, pour la même raison.
    Oui, ils projettent leurs propres peurs, sans se rendre compte que ces peurs ne fonctionnent principalement que dans un seul sens.
    Les anglais sont beaucoup plus obsédés par la France que les français ne le sont des anglais. Ce qui s'explique puisque nous fûmes leur seul voisin d'importance, leur seul clair rival historique. C'est hélas la triste vérité.

La façon dont la presse populaire d'Outre-Manche se déchaine régulièrement contre la France et ses habitants est là pour en témoigner. Cette hystérie n'existe pas chez nous, ça aussi c'est la vérité.
    Unless, of course, it's time for the 6 nations Rugby Championship.

7w8 SCUxI

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by compulsiverambler View Post
    This is probably one of the most talked about stereotypes of the French that we seem to have in the UK. As a small child it struck me as a bit paranoid the way people were so convinced that every one of them could speak English and just refused.
    TBF, we think the same thing of Americans.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Morgan Le Fay View Post
    TBF, we think the same thing of Americans.
    What do you mean?

@Blackmail!: Je n'ai aucune idée pour commencer chercher. Pour la russe, c'est facile, le livejournal a une position pour la cyrillique. Il n'y a pas une position pour les langues romaines.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    What do you mean?
    It's a joke about the differences between British and American English. A good one, too.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari