Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

Quote Originally Posted by tinkerbell View Post
    Having driven on both sides, I can assure you the left is safer as roads merge easier
    Why?

Having driven on both sides, I can assure you the left is safer as roads merge easier
    I dunno - I don't find it any different really, either way. It's just a case of flipping everything in a mental mirror when I land at Caen/Calais, and flipping it back at Portsmouth/Dover

Gotta say that roundabouts (carrefour, don't think they have them in the USA) do feel more intuitive when you go round them clockwise though... depends what you're used to, probably. I don't see how they "merge easier" though...? Explain?
    I'm male and over 30, FYI.
    Preferences: 20% Extravert, 98% Intuitive, 68% Thinker, 17% Perceiving

Riva

We should probably bring a policy to ban all French people, just in case.

And also limit too many Scots from hanging around.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by proximo View Post
    I dunno - I don't find it any different really, either way. It's just a case of flipping everything in a mental mirror when I land at Caen/Calais, and flipping it back at Portsmouth/Dover

Gotta say that roundabouts (carrefour, don't think they have them in the USA) do feel more intuitive when you go round them clockwise though... depends what you're used to, probably. I don't see how they "merge easier" though...? Explain?
    its the way roads filter in typically from the left only, where as this isnt true when you drive on the right you get all sorts of feeds coming in. It's been a while I just remember it feeling like cars were coming from all over, quite scary, but that was in the US specifically and might not be general for the US more for Ann Arbour.

Love roundabouts, beautifuly flowing usually, but you do need to be able to drive properly to use them properly

Cuz, I think all Shrilankans on the board should be spanked soundly

MBTI
    ENFJ

There are plenty of roundabouts here. Just go to Cleveland.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    There are plenty of roundabouts here. Just go to Cleveland.
    Oh, well I've only ever been to NY and Raleigh, NC, didn't see any there.

its the way roads filter in typically from the left only, where as this isnt true when you drive on the right you get all sorts of feeds coming in. It's been a while I just remember it feeling like cars were coming from all over, quite scary, but that was in the US specifically and might not be general for the US more for Ann Arbour.
    Doesn't sound logical... probably just your perception cos I know when I first had to get used to it on the mainland, it did seem quite chaotic, but after a couple of weeks of long distance driving it became second nature. It's just literally the same but flipped round mirror image.

Oberon

Ann Arbour isn't typical. You can find a lot of roundabouts (also known as "rotaries") in the northeast, particularly around Boston.

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    Ann Arbour isn't typical.
    Driving in Michigan isn't typical in general.

Typical Detroit intersection:

-Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    Driving in Michigan isn't typical in general.

Typical Detroit intersection:

Ah, well that's still preferable to Nottingham, a city about 30 miles west of where I live. There, they don't seem to believe in signs at all. You get to a complicated junction/intersection and you're told by road markings to GET IN LANE NOW, but at no point are you advised as to where each exit actually leads, in order to know which lane you're supposed to get into! And on the rare occasion when there is a sign, it's often completely misleading. I think they must think the war's still on, you know? Haven't put the signs back up since they took them down to stop Jerry using them.

MBTI
    ENTP

Oh, well I've only ever been to NY and Raleigh, NC, didn't see any there.

Doesn't sound logical... probably just your perception cos I know when I first had to get used to it on the mainland, it did seem quite chaotic, but after a couple of weeks of long distance driving it became second nature. It's just literally the same but flipped round mirror image.
    If you are driving on the left you don't get filter roads coming in from the right, they feed in from the left, so if someone is trying to enter the road from the right, they are crossing over along lane of traffic so speed, visability etc is obvious. It was just different from the US where you get feeder roads in at both sides, is all.