User Tag List

First 41213141516 Last

Oberon

I doubt we should get up in arms over something so subjective.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    I doubt we should get up in arms over something so subjective.
    Repeated testing!

Oberon

The article certainly seems to make a solid case that the best Californian wines are comparable to the best French wines... judged better in repeated blind taste tests, by experienced continental wine authorities no less.

MBTI
    ENTP

French people are not snobs in my experience, contrary, REALLY contrary, but not snobbish. Culturally they want things they want and stuff everyone else. They will be different for the hell of being different. Snobbishness is looking down at people, not really the issue, a french woman can pick up a tie dyed dress as a flee market and dress it up like it's $1000 item.

Parisians are likely to be different and similar to other large cosmo cities.

Quote Originally Posted by entropie View Post
    By the way: if you talk in german to a german and he starts to speak english with you, it's to make the conversation more easy for you. In Germany 90% of the population speaks english and therefore its no problem to talk in english ( given the fact aswell that both languages are very close to each other and some things especially in business are just better said in english ).

But if you want to talk german, just ask for it, it's no problem. Tho most probably you will be hard to understand cause american dialects are very hard to understand most of the times .
    Leaving aside that you assumed I was American (I am NOT!), this wasn't my experience... I *did* ask to speak German, and my German definitely was good enough to pass something like your Arbitur with an A grade. Of course it's a foreign language to me, so I made the occasional error, but they were not so bad as to render me incomprehensible. But they would still keep on switching to English.
    I'm male and over 30, FYI.
    Preferences: 20% Extravert, 98% Intuitive, 68% Thinker, 17% Perceiving

Quote Originally Posted by tinkerbell View Post
    They will be different for the hell of being different.
    I think I read once that the only reason most of the world drives on the right hand side of the road is because of the French choosing to do it just to annoy the British. Apparently, before cars were invented, everyone drove their carriages/horses on the left - to leave the right (sword/gun) arm free to confront any potential oncoming attacker.

The French waited until the British had invested millions in their infrastructure for cars, and then decided they'd do everything on the opposite side, knowing the rest of the world would have to follow suit, cos they're continental and Britain's an island.

That's the tale I heard anyway.

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by proximo View Post
    Leaving aside that you assumed I was American (I am NOT!), this wasn't my experience... I *did* ask to speak German, and my German definitely was good enough to pass something like your Arbitur with an A grade. Of course it's a foreign language to me, so I made the occasional error, but they were not so bad as to render me incomprehensible. But they would still keep on switching to English.
    That sucks, but it's an exception to the rule. Hab noch Keinen kennen gelernt, dem es so wichtig war, dass sein Gegnüber korrektes Deutsch spricht
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

Quote Originally Posted by entropie View Post
    That sucks, but it's an exception to the rule. Hab noch Keinen kennen gelernt, dem es so wichtig war, dass sein Gegnüber korrektes Deutsch spricht
    Yeah I don't know, it could be because at the time my social skills sucked generally, so perhaps I annoyed or offended them and they were just using it as a way to put me down? I don't know... they would pretend my errors made me impossible to understand, but I know that with my native languages, foreigners have to speak VERY badly before I literally can't make out a word they're saying, and if they spoke that badly they wouldn't be able to even pass an exam with a low grade, never mind an A.

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

Yeah I don't know, it could be because at the time my social skills sucked generally, so perhaps I annoyed or offended them and they were just using it as a way to put me down? I don't know... they would pretend my errors made me impossible to understand, but I know that with my native languages, foreigners have to speak VERY badly before I literally can't make out a word they're saying, and if they spoke that badly they wouldn't be able to even pass an exam with a low grade, never mind an A.
    ^^ I understand, ya prolly a bad catch. Next time if they insult you that your words dont make sense, speak the universal language and grab a beer bottle to hit it on their heads . Then they dare not to speak in any other language than the one you wish
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

MBTI
    ENTP

I think I read once that the only reason most of the world drives on the right hand side of the road is because of the French choosing to do it just to annoy the British. Apparently, before cars were invented, everyone drove their carriages/horses on the left - to leave the right (sword/gun) arm free to confront any potential oncoming attacker.

The French waited until the British had invested millions in their infrastructure for cars, and then decided they'd do everything on the opposite side, knowing the rest of the world would have to follow suit, cos they're continental and Britain's an island.

That's the tale I heard anyway.

Having driven on both sides, I can assure you the left is safer as roads merge easier

Sword arm is also the reasons spiral stair cases are the way they are. So you can chop the enemy down