User Tag List

First 21011121314 Last

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Curzon View Post
    Oh, and don't forget, everytime you people get your panties wet you need the Americans to come and clean them for you and chase those jerks away.
    Je ne porte pas des "panties".
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 so/sx
    Socionics
    SLE Ti

I went there, and there was little to no hospitality towards my group.
    Probably because I was American, and they ignorantly see Americans as whatever they portray on MTV nowadays, but I don't know. I'd like to know the answer to this, too.

MBTI
    GONE

True, Ob is correct. A research was made to see who makes the best and US beat France 4 to 1.

California specifically. Does California make wine? Are they famous for it?
    YES!!!! WE RRRRUUULLLLEZZZ?!?!

Now CA snobbery...that's somethin'.
    “If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

"I'm outtie 5000" ― Romulux

Johari/Nohari

MBTI
    ENTJ

Couple of people mentioned New York, specifically in comparison to Paris.

I don't get it-- New Yorkers may not be as friendly as, say, Philadelphians, but they ain't that rude either. They're aggressive and loud, but aggressive and loud does not equal rude and snobby. Not sure where this myth of rude New Yorkers comes from-- too many movies maybe.

A better US city for comparison's sake would be Boston, which genuinely is quite rude.

Oberon

I don't mind French people and Parisians in particular being rude. They have their whole country to live in, and I never need to go there. There are lots of other places with abundant history and culture where I can go enrich my intellectual life and enjoy the cuisine.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Arclight View Post
    This is funny.. As an Anglo Montrealer. I found the Europeans much more accomadating and paitent with me when I spoke French and also much more able to understand me. Most Quebecoise just tell me after I have said 2 or 3 words, to switch to English
    true, this! haha

Quote Originally Posted by proximo View Post
    I found that with German. I took A-Level German (British equivalent level to roughly US first year college major) at school and was, if not fluent, then pretty close to it, but since then have almost completely lost the ability to compose sentences. I can still understand it passively, better written than spoken, but I've lost about 60% of the ability I used to have to speak German, exactly because I never got the opportunity to use it, and on the rare times when I did, the Germans would all switch to English the moment I made one mistake.
    if i'm not mistaken there's a quip from mark twain about being in germany and being surprised that the germans did not understand their own language when he spoke it to them!
    and of course: "I heard a Californian student in Heidelberg say, in one of his calmest moods, that he would rather decline two drinks than one German adjective."- Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by bananatrombones View Post
    Lol. Quiet Days in Cliché.
    "Develop interest in life as you see it...the world is so rich, simply throbbing with rich treasures, beautiful souls and interesting people. Forget yourself." -- H. Miller
    -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
    Johari the good..
    Nohari.. the bad, and the ugly

I'm a FiNe SiTe to see!

The French are snobs?

Some of them are hot chicks.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ILE

My Dad told me avoided this by going to mostly Italian owned restaurants in Paris and if he had to ask for directions he would ask kids because they seemed mostly happy to practices their English.
    I redact everything I have written or will write on this forum prior to, subsequent with and or after the fact of its writing. For entertainment purposes only and not to be taken seriously nor literally.

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    Spamtar - a strange combination of boorish drunkeness and erudite discussions, or what I call "an Irish academic"

MBTI
    ENTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    The French are snobs?

Some of them are hot chicks.
    French Canadian chicks are hotter

MBTI
    ENFJ

True, Ob is correct. A research was made to see who makes the best and US beat France 4 to 1.

California specifically. Does California make wine? Are they famous for it?
    California is famous for wine within the US, like how Wisconsin is famous for beer within the US. I am not sure about its notoriety in other countries, though. On a cruise I went on (British) there were a few Californian wines on the list which showed up with about the same frequency as Aussie wines.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge