User Tag List

First 78910 Last

MBTI
    ENFJ

Others think that Americans are exceptionally cold, and that the over-emotionalism is a cover for this.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so

Probably because they perceive us as selfish or self-centered. But idealism can surely be self-centered, and blind to others' desires.
    You can't spell "justice" without ISTJ.

The US has always thrived on fear. The US government legislates it. US public schools teach it. US parents uphold it as an inalienable right, and their children...well, actually the children suffer, but somewhere along the line someone has to.

Would-be critics would do well to remember that this is a post cold-war society you're dealing with. Paint a target on your own society's back, aim thousands of megatons of thermonuclear devastation at it for a few decades, then see what happens when some idiot suddenly decides to start tearing down the walls of security protecting his society's affluent fairy tale.

You'll have serial killers, pedophiles and cannibal rapists on every street corner too, I'd wager.

MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE

Why are Americans fearful? It's because we're really, really isolated from the rest of the world, and what's more, we never have to come into contact with people unlike us outside our own choice.

I think there should be some kind of requirement that every US citizen has to spend a month in an impoverished third world country (The state of Arizona should be assigned to Mexico) with the stipulation that they aren't allowed to CHANGE anything, only ADAPT to the local culture.

Three years of living in Mexico really opened our eyes. This isn't the home of the brave, it's the home of the blind.

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    Booo

All of the above.

Good thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Halla74 View Post
    Ummm, I don't think so. We're probably one of th most societally aggressive nations in the world. Who's been sending troops across the world for almost a century? Who's citizens demand the right to bear arms? In many American cities if you piss off the wrong people in the wrong part of town there's a good chance you will end up in the middle of a riot and get your ass kicked. This is hardly a nation of pansies.
    Aren't you mistaking aggression for courage? Aggression is the fight response (fight or flight) to fear.
    Act your age not your enneagram number.

Quinlan's Creations

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by Quinlan View Post
    Aren't you mistaking aggression for courage? Aggression is the fight response (fight or flight) to fear.
    Hey Quinlan!

It's nice to hear from you.

I researched your response, because I could not answer it from my memory with 100% conviction.

At the conclusion of that effort I am of the opinion that "aggression" and "courage" are not the same thing, and in fact one (any entity) can be "aggressive" without being "courageous" (aka "just plain old mean and violent")

Aggression = "attack"

Courage = "bravery" or being "dauntless"

Honestly, I'd say more Americans are aggressive than courageous, but that is the case for all people of the world.

AGGRESSION:
    Any idiot can summon the balls to physically intervene in any number of given situations at the risk of one's own well being.

COURAGE:
    Fewer are able to do so with forethought of what they are actually standing up for, but these folks are out there, and they are the stuff legends are made of...or mob movies.

Good to see you around, fella!

Wadda' ya' think?

--------------------

Let's explore those words:

FROM: Dictionary.com | Find the Meanings and Definitions of Words at Dictionary.com

ag·gres·sion   –noun
    1.the action of a state in violating by force the rights of another state, particularly its territorial rights; an unprovoked offensive, attack, invasion, or the like: The army is prepared to stop any foreign aggression.
    2.any offensive action, attack, or procedure; an inroad or encroachment: an aggression upon one's rights.
    3.the practice of making assaults or attacks; offensive action in general.
    4.Psychiatry. overt or suppressed hostility, either innate or resulting from continued frustration and directed outward or against oneself.

AND

cour·age   –noun
    1.the quality of mind or spirit that enables a person to face difficulty, danger, pain, etc., without fear; bravery.
    2.Obsolete. the heart as the source of emotion.
    —Idiom
    3.have the courage of one's convictions, to act in accordance with one's beliefs, esp. in spite of criticism.

SYNONYMS for "COURAGE"

—Synonyms
    1. fearlessness, dauntlessness, intrepidity, pluck, spirit. Courage, bravery, valor, bravado refer to qualities of spirit and conduct. Courage permits one to face extreme dangers and difficulties without fear: to take (or lose) courage. Bravery implies true courage with daring and an intrepid boldness: bravery in a battle. Valor implies heroic courage: valor in fighting for the right. Bravado is now usually a boastful and ostentatious pretense of courage or bravery: empty bravado.

-Halla
    --------------------
    Type Stats:
    MBTI -> (E) 77.14% | (i) 22.86% ; (S) 60% | (n) 40% ; (T) 72.22% | (f) 27.78% ; (P) 51.43% | (j) 48.57%
    BIG 5 -> Extroversion 77% ; Accommodation 60% ; Orderliness 62% ; Emotional Stability 64% ; Open Mindedness 74%

Quotes:
    "If somebody asks your MBTI type on a first date, run". -Donna Cecilia
    "Enneagram is psychological underpinnings. Cognitive Functions are mental reasoning and perceptional processes. -Sanjuro

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by spin-1/2-nuclei View Post
    Huh, personally I don't really see that. Sure there are "emo americans" but there are some pretty damn violent ones too... What parts of American have you visited? If you venture into the deep south or certain parts of the midwest you might have a different view of Americans... There really isn't one definition of "american" there are so many different flavors to chose from. As far as scaring americans as a group goes... I don't know... it seems to me that it's easier to anger us into going to war, which I associate more with a violent streak than an emo trait....
    I see violence in many respects as an outcropping of fear.

Maybe it's more complicated if you start digging into the details and the complexity of American culture and the large variety of individuals and ethnic groups, but here's the "big big picture" view:

1. Despite being an influx of many cultures at different times in our history, I feel like our country actually was sort of homogenous... at least within the "ruling class." That has been changing and accelerating especially within the last forty years, the white Christian majority has been vanishing. There was definitely a large influx of eastern religion in the 70's into mainsteam culture that has never ebbed, and we've especially gotten many many Hispanic immigrants in the last 25 years or so. The culture within the middle class has been changing radically with these last few decades and people who were used to the old ways and liked them are just very unsettled. Europe is the opposite, I think; it's a bunch of much smaller countries all very close to each other, with a lot of travel across borders, and so they're used to variety, cultural texture, influx of new/various ideas. Europe is heterogenous. Take any country with tight borders and a strong culture and see how people respond when a large influx threatens to change the mix and disturb status quo.

2. The anxiety/tensions actually give rise to conflict, which only exacerbates fear. We're also used to there being one language; I think for a long time people that came here felt like they had to learn English along with their original language in order to fit in, but nowadays there is more and more tolerance for Spanish (for example) and I know I've heard a lot of locals feel threatened and annoyed by that. In any case, different languages = non-understanding = fear = rising tensions = more fear.

3. 9/11 was the first time we really got screwed with on home soil since Pearl Harbor (and that was rather detached because Hawaii is halfway around the world and most Americans will never go there, while 9/11 happened in NYC and Wash DC... places many of us will visit, sometimes repeatedly, in our lifetime). Average middle-class people said goodbye to their families that morning and never saw them again. (I actually had acquaintances who died in one of the plane crashes, and my cousin had to flee the tower collapses and made it out on foot.) It made people realize how vulnerable they are if someone merely hates them and wants to hurt them. It really was a wake-up call to many, and our lives had to change because of it... tightened security in place with gov buildings, personal identification, and airports, etc. You just never know what might happen.

Anyway... all stuff like that.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    esfp
    Enneagram

If you choose not to fight in a situation where fighting is expected, perhaps that is the courageous choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Quinlan View Post

I'm a little teapot, short and stout. Here is my handle and here is my spout. Every time I steam up, I give a shout. Just tip me over and pour me out.

MBTI
    ENFJ

Here is an explanation:

The only reason the USA exists as it does at all is because of fear. The individual states wanted little to do with each other and only accepted federal government because of fear of invasion. United We Stand, and all that. Without fear, there is no United States at all -- it is fear of internal pressure and finances and external invasion that keeps the states in the union. The USA started out as a bunch of frightened little governments that realized banding together made them strong.

...so there.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge