User Tag List

First 678910 Last

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Thursday View Post
    ...feeling paranoid for so many unprovoked military advances.
    From the very beginning the USA decided its security lay in expansion, and the USA has been expanding for two hundred years.

Fortunately the expansion of the USA to colonise the Philippines was fortuitous for Australia, for without the expansion, General McArthur would never have said, "I shall return", to the Philippines, and Australia would have fallen to the expansion of Imperial Japan.

And so like most of life, it is a choice between two evils. And we much prefer the expansion of the USA to the expansion of Imperial Japan.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9 sp/sx
    Socionics
    LIE

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    And so like most of life, it is a choice between two evils. And we much prefer the expansion of the USA to the expansion of Imperial Japan.
    There is a difference?
    I N V I C T U S

MBTI
    ENTJ

Good question. I need to think on this. Hopefully will be back later with at least a stab at an answer.

Away with the fairies Southern Kross's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Blackmail! View Post
    Hmmm... well... for France we have... well... I can't figure: between Azincourt, Crecy, Pavie, Wattignies, the Berezina, Waterloo, Sedan, Dunkerque, Dien Bien Phu...

Too much choices I think. Anyway, that's why France is such a romantic nation: we probably have a lot more "worst defeats" to romanticize than the rest of Europe combined.
    Oh, the benefits of a long and rich history and a keen collective memory...

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Thursday View Post
    There is a difference?
    Well yes, we fought Imperial Japanese soldiers hand-to-hand on the Kokoda Track but the worst with the Yankees was a drunken punch-up in Brisbane.

And when the Japanese submarines shelled Sydney we killed them but acknowledged them as brave warriors and gave them funerals with full military honours. This surprised Imperial Japan and they appreciated the full respect we gave their dead.

And today Japan is one of our best friends and Japan has been very good to us for quite a long time.

In fact I held the Japanese desk in Sydney for two and a half years and I thoroughly enjoyed meeting Japanese businessmen and I was immensely impressed by the depth and subtlety of their culture.

But we all have two cultures - our own and American.

And just as we deprecate the Pommies, we deprecate the Yankees, 'cause the Pommies are our parents as the Yankees are our cousins.

And know we are only polite to those we don't like. And the more the dislike, the more polite we become.

Of course I am constantly accused here of being impolite, but it is my politeness you should watch out for.

And while we enjoy beating the Pommies at cricket, our only regret is that we can't do the same with the Yankees.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Southern Kross View Post
    Oh, the benefits of a long and rich history and a keen collective memory... :
    And the archetypes are simply our collective memory.

MBTI
    ENTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    From the very beginning the USA decided its security lay in expansion, and the USA has been expanding for two hundred years.
    Generally an accurate analysis, but a bit oversimplified.

There was territorial expansion from the beginning, but not imperialism/force projection beyond our own borders until 1889, which is after territorial expansion ceased. In other words, an end to territorial expansion made neocolonial/imperial expansion necessary.

Unlike the British and the French, our global empire was/is less based on a traditional colonial model. Sure there was some straight-up colonialism in the Philippines, Cuba and PR, but for the most part the US pretty much invented what is now often termed "neocolonialism"-- use of proxies, intelligence services, puppet regimes, economic power, and limited military intervention to achieve the goals of getting cheap resources and cheap labor overseas within our dominion, rather than just using brute military strength, naked aggression and direct economic exploitation.

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so

Somewhere you mentioned that U.S. society is "too emotional." I agree that it is heavily based in emotions, but I don't think that's the heart of the matter. It may be clearer to say that U.S. society is "too idealistic," for most people here are not willing to give up their dreams in favor of facing reality and its practical problems. (Talking about general trends of U.S. society, exceptions exist here and there, but that is the underlying culture.)

But then there's the debate about whether that's a bad thing.

How soon should you give up on your dreams? That's one issue here the U.S. will have to confront, deep down, to answer your OP question. And quite an important question on a forum like this.
    You can't spell "justice" without ISTJ.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

OP:
    Our country is restless because we live so unnaturally. Our lives are completely saturated with constant mindless activity, clutter, and information (Including lots of constant unsettling news updates). It is difficult to prioritize our lives with all this stuff going on all the time. We also think that we are missing out on something if we are not the most beautiful, with the best location, and the nicest car, and the nicest house, and the best job, and the most friends, etc. We even obsess over minor things- like having the newest grill or the nicest glasses. The best Christmas decorations. In other words, everyone is missing out on something. It is impossible to maintain a life the way that we think we should live it. I think the fear and anxiety is actually getting worse as time goes on.

(And now proceeding to read the thread.)
    06/13 10:51:03 five sounds: you!!!
    06/13 10:51:08 shortnsweet: no you!!
    06/13 10:51:12 shortnsweet: go do your things and my things too!
    06/13 10:51:23 five sounds: oh hell naw
    06/13 10:51:55 shortnsweet: !!!!
    06/13 10:51:57 shortnsweet: (cries)
    06/13 10:52:19 RiftsWRX: You two are like furbies stuck in a shoe box

My Nohari
    My Johari
    by sns.