User Tag List

First 56789 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4sop
    Socionics
    IEE

I don't know about this. A lot of countries romanticize their worst defeats. Britain has Dunkirk and Australia and NZ have Gallipoli.

I do think, however, that American Government and media exploit their defeats to inappropriate ends. They use the fear generated by shock defeats and possible future attacks (no matter how unlikely) to whip up a fevour for bloody revenge. Would the American public have been so passionate about (illogically) going to war with Iraq if it hadn't been sold to them as a way to right what happened in 9/11? 9/11 is being used over and over again to serve whatever cause that is chosen. I find it extremely disrespectful for the dead to be practically dug up and paraded around the room to manipulate the public.
    That's true. Many countries romanticize their histories. And I totally agree with your second point.

MBTI
    ENFJ

Does anyone actually remember 9/11 from a viewpoint that wasn't in NYC?

Over and over again, every single fucking channel for weeks, for months. Kill three thousand, traumatize three hundred million.

The US government stopped allowing wars be filmed and broadcast and yet look at this. If you want some conspiracy theory, there you are.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Fecal McAngry View Post
    You get an "F" in paying attention.

The tea party movement is a nonpartisan phenomenon consisting mostly of registered Republicans (with a large minority of Democrats, independents, Libertarians, Greens, etc.) which came into being because both parties were and are engaging in massive, unsustainable deficit spending. While the tea party movement does generally back candidates who are Republicans, it only backs candidates who pledge that they will engage in "surplus spending" (revenues > expenditures). And they have had a limited impact; witness, for example, the triumph of interloper Rand "ISTP" Paul over the "chosen" or "anointed" GOP candidate Trey Grayson in Kentucky, much to the dismay of The Evil ISTJ Mitch "The Bitch" McConnell:
    YouTube - Rand Paul Wins Kentucky Primary For U.S. Senate! Full Victory Speech

Obviously, with the current congress, The Obamination in the WH & Bernanke at the helm of the Fed, there is reason to be afraid, very afraid, as an inflationary depression looms on the horizon...nevertheless, the words of this suspected INTJ come to mind and are more true now than they were then:

The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.
    H. L. Mencken
    If you say so. I can tell from your posts that we aren't going to come to an agreement on this, but I will simply say that I find it ridiculous the tea party movement magically appears when Obama becomes president but nobody gave a flying fuck when Bush & Co were selling our country to the corporations and sending our soldiers off to die in a pointless war... What scares me is the fact that Bush some how lost almost 12 billion dollars and the tea party movement was nowhere to be found - How the US sent $12bn in cash to Iraq. And watched it vanish | World news | The Guardian

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4, 7
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by Antisocial one View Post
    I dont want to insult anyone but I simply have to ask something.

Seriously why American culture has so many emo elements in itself ?
    I mean I am constantly getting this vibe from many of the posters from US (and US media). Like constant fears over economy, civil rights, something will happen to my kids, I am not pretty or succesful or smart ...... etc.

Seriously why so many fears ?

Also there is this constant fear that some one will defeat you on some sneaky or brutal way. I mean you talk so much about bleeding, suffering, sacrifice, being fragile etc as a nation. Actually one of the reasons why I stoped watching movies is because I could not handle how emotional most of them are. Many of the TV shows are showing pretty much the same thing as well, as all those crime reconstruction series.

I don't know but to me it looks that it isn't that hard to scare you as group.
    (what isn't good obviously)

Or am I simply seeing something that isn't there ?
    One of the most efficient ways to control people is through 'fear.' With fear, we do not think. We act on impulse, instinct. That's where the cycle begins.

Opposite of fear to me is courage. With courage, we look deeper. We find strength within ourselves to question, to ask, to explore, to learn. It's growth promoting when we focus on the results/solutions in a positive manner.

Fear to me equates to limitations sorta like stunted roots. Courage to me, equates to possibilities- freedom. I think this applies to society, in general. Hence, I hate bullshit conspiracy theories.

Gotta catch you all! Blackmail!'s Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

Quote Originally Posted by Southern Kross View Post
    I don't know about this. A lot of countries romanticize their worst defeats. Britain has Dunkirk and Australia and NZ have Gallipoli.
    Hmmm... well... for France we have... well... I can't figure: between Azincourt, Crecy, Pavie, Wattignies, the Berezina, Waterloo, Sedan, Dunkerque, Dien Bien Phu...

Too much choices I think. Anyway, that's why France is such a romantic nation: we probably have a lot more "worst defeats" to romanticize than the rest of Europe combined.
    "A man who only drinks water has a secret to hide from his fellow-men" -Baudelaire

7w8 SCUxI

Gotta catch you all! Blackmail!'s Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

Quote Originally Posted by Halla74 View Post

Is popular culture in France chock full of bravado, confidence, and egalitarian social values?
    Somehow, yes. It's a unique combination of egalitarian social values, stubborn individualism, romantic nostalgia, French flair, armchair intellectualism and artsy snobbery...

But not fear.

[YOUTUBE=CVJ-W6LioB8]French sheep[/YOUTUBE]
    "A man who only drinks water has a secret to hide from his fellow-men" -Baudelaire

7w8 SCUxI

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by eagleseven View Post
    Perhaps because there is nobody who can bail America out?
    Well, the USA has just bailed the USA out to the tune of trillions of dollars.

So how can the USA do this?

The USA can do this because they own, control and print the Reserve Currency of the world. This means that the USA can never go bankrupt although the rest of us can.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Antisocial one View Post
    If you ask me US is more of a counter-puncher and/or a manipulator than a conqueror.
    Yes, this is what most of the world does not understand about the USA.

The USA bounces.

Whenever the USA is put down, they bounce back.

Hugo Chavez of Venezuela doesn't understand this, and foolishly keeps on putting the USA down.

Whereas Australia understands the USA perfectly well and so we offer unconditional political support 'cause we don't want the USA bouncing back in our faces.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Blackmail! View Post
    ...France is such a romantic nation...
    And Australia has a romantic relationship with France, for although we were discovered by the British, a French ship was just one day behind, so we feel we are almost French, and we wish romantically that we were.

So just around the corner from me is the French/Australian school, Telopea Park School, were we teach in French and English, making us a little French in the Antipodes.

And after WW II we left our dead behind in French soil, so we like to think romantically that there is a patch of French soil that that will be always Australian.

And when we visit France, we are always surprised and touched that the French remember us, even the French children.

And we know romantically that we all have two countries - our own and France.

Vive La France!

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9 sp/sx
    Socionics
    LIE

Quote Originally Posted by ceecee View Post
    The media.
    Its the parenting, or rather the lack thereof that allows and conditions the youth into a fearful mindstate. Without parents, the media raises them. That and feeling paranoid for so many unprovoked military advances.
    I N V I C T U S