User Tag List

First 45678 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4sop
    Socionics
    IEE

The US is much more a conqueror than a victim, yet we like to victimize ourselves and play heroes. Wtf. I refuse to watch any of those Hollywood war movies...seriously, WTF, how the hell did you romanticize Pearl Harbor? But that's Hollywood.

Quote Originally Posted by tcda View Post
    I think more people are afraid of the US than little Croatia. Ask anyone in South America, the Middle East or Central Asia.
    Just because you can't see the threat that doesn't mean that it isn't there.

Quote Originally Posted by Rebe View Post
    The US is much more a conqueror than a victim, yet we like to victimize ourselves and play heroes. Wtf. I refuse to watch any of those Hollywood war movies...seriously, WTF, how the hell did you romanticize Pearl Harbor? But that's Hollywood.
    If you ask me US is more of a counter-puncher and/or a manipulator than a conqueror.

Away with the fairies Southern Kross's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Rebe View Post
    I don't know about this. A lot of countries romanticize their worst defeats. Britain has Dunkirk and Australia and NZ have Gallipoli.

I do think, however, that American Government and media exploit their defeats to inappropriate ends. They use the fear generated by shock defeats and possible future attacks (no matter how unlikely) to whip up a fevour for bloody revenge. Would the American public have been so passionate about (illogically) going to war with Iraq if it hadn't been sold to them as a way to right what happened in 9/11? 9/11 is being used over and over again to serve whatever cause that is chosen. I find it extremely disrespectful for the dead to be practically dug up and paraded around the room to manipulate the public.

Oberon

I think the media fosters a crisis mentality because it sells media.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by Antisocial one View Post
    Seriously why American culture has so many emo elements in itself ?
    Hey A.O. Do you mean "American Pop-Culture" or people that adhere to such folly? I'd be interested to hear your definition of "American Culture." As a half American, half German person who grew up in both countries, one observation I have is that there is actually a significant lack of American culture.

There is "National American Culture" as defined in the colonial/revolutionary/civil war periods. And of course WWI/WWII elements of nationalism and related culture in America. But, at the local level, there is somewhat of a void of culture. Many towns/cities have been built up so significantly in the last 30 years that culture there appears to be strip malls, car dealerships, gas stations, fast food restaurants, and corporate office buildings.

So, that being said just as there is a huge vaccum of culture in America at the street level, I find it difficult to conceptualize a "psychological culture" that is overly fearful, doubting, pessimistic, etc.

I mean I am constantly getting this vibe from many of the posters from US (and US media). Like constant fears over economy, civil rights, something will happen to my kids...
    Recognizing the imperfections of the world around you does not mean you are fearful of those things. It doesn't even make you a pessimist, it makes you a realist.

I am not pretty or succesful or smart ...... etc.
    This kind of shit is annoying, and it is not just an American issue, there are plenty of insecure people in the world.

Seriously why so many fears ?
    I do not subscribe to such thinking, so I am with you in that I do not understand why anyone feels/thinks in such ways.

Also there is this constant fear that some one will defeat you on some sneaky or brutal way. I mean you talk so much about bleeding, suffering, sacrifice, being fragile etc as a nation. Actually one of the reasons why I stoped watching movies is because I could not handle how emotional most of them are. Many of the TV shows are showing pretty much the same thing as well, as all those crime reconstruction series.
    This type of crap is related to the subversive element of society that wishes to thrust political correctness and various kinds of inappropriate societal guilt into the forefront of the average person's psyche. It's bullshit. I haven't watched television with any regularity for 17 years. It's total shit, and a waste of my time.

I don't know but to me it looks that it isn't that hard to scare you as group.
    (what isn't good obviously)
    Ummm, I don't think so. We're probably one of th most societally aggressive nations in the world. Who's been sending troops across the world for almost a century? Who's citizens demand the right to bear arms? In many American cities if you piss off the wrong people in the wrong part of town there's a good chance you will end up in the middle of a riot and get your ass kicked. This is hardly a nation of pansies.

Or am I simply seeing something that isn't there ?
    I think you're possibly assigning the whining of some American posters here to the American people as a society, and that's not valid.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackmail! View Post
    Same question than Antisocial One.

I've noticed the same trend within popular American culture.
    Is popular culture in France chock full of bravado, confidence, and egalitarian social values?

Every nation has a certain percentage of their population that is not well educated, not fully developed emotionally, or both. These people are the ones that I can see voicing the constant barrage of irrational fears discussed in the OP, regardless of the nation they reside in.
    --------------------
    Type Stats:
    MBTI -> (E) 77.14% | (i) 22.86% ; (S) 60% | (n) 40% ; (T) 72.22% | (f) 27.78% ; (P) 51.43% | (j) 48.57%
    BIG 5 -> Extroversion 77% ; Accommodation 60% ; Orderliness 62% ; Emotional Stability 64% ; Open Mindedness 74%

Quotes:
    "If somebody asks your MBTI type on a first date, run". -Donna Cecilia
    "Enneagram is psychological underpinnings. Cognitive Functions are mental reasoning and perceptional processes. -Sanjuro

Quote Originally Posted by Halla74 View Post
    I'd be interested to hear your definition of "American Culture."

Ummm, I don't think so. We're probably one of th most societally aggressive nations in the world. Who's been sending troops across the world for almost a century? Who's citizens demand the right to bear arms? In many American cities if you piss off the wrong people in the wrong part of town there's a good chance you will end up in the middle of a riot and get your ass kicked. This is hardly a nation of pansies.

1.Everything that exists or it has existed within US borders. (to put it simply)

2.As I said before: this entire militaristic thinking is just a background of being fearful. (in my opinion)

Basicly I have a problem seeing all those details and that is way I have opened this is thread acually. I mean I have never actually been in the US.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

1.Everything that exists or it has existed within US borders. (to put it simply)
    Surely the past has an influence on those living in the present, but I personally am more prone to assigning the zeitgeist of a given era to those alive during that time period...

2.As I said before: this entire militaristic thinking is just a background of being fearful. (in my opinion)
    Maybe not so much a background of being fearful, maybe a background of being greedy?

Basicly I have a problem seeing all those details and that is way I have opened this is thread acually. I mean I have never actually been in the US.
    I understand. Your question is interesting, I hope I am able to shed some light on the issue for you.
    --------------------
    Type Stats:
    MBTI -> (E) 77.14% | (i) 22.86% ; (S) 60% | (n) 40% ; (T) 72.22% | (f) 27.78% ; (P) 51.43% | (j) 48.57%
    BIG 5 -> Extroversion 77% ; Accommodation 60% ; Orderliness 62% ; Emotional Stability 64% ; Open Mindedness 74%

Quotes:
    "If somebody asks your MBTI type on a first date, run". -Donna Cecilia
    "Enneagram is psychological underpinnings. Cognitive Functions are mental reasoning and perceptional processes. -Sanjuro

MBTI
    INFP

A lot of people in my country are this way. I can't stand it! At work people are always talking about how they aren't afraid of what their children will do, but what bad things can come upon their children.. in "this world"..

You turn on the TV and you hear about all of these horrible things, but they aren't happening every day in your neighborhood! Fuck! This is Orange County! Not Rio de Janiero!

MBTI
    ENFJ

I think the problem is less that Americans are particularly bad about it and more that they are loud.

Also, constantly being told that bad things will happen while whether they do happen or not is pretty random kinda... well, makes things worse.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge