User Tag List

First 23456 Last

MBTI
    ENFJ

I wonder, don't you all know the story of Bill Gates?

A smart, geeky nobody, a college dropout. With some luck and smarts he somehow turned into the CEO of practically all of computerdom for a while.

And as we remember, through much of the 1990s, when computers began catching on, he spent much of his time crushing small upstarts underfoot. He would have thought these small upstarts below his notice if he had worked his way to the top through the usual route, a trust-fund graduate or the son of a company owner. But he hadn't, and saw in these small companies himself only years ago.

We fear because we know what we are capable of and know that others can do it, too.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by eagleseven View Post
    Perhaps because we just witnessed the largest economic crash of the past 70 years?

Perhaps because the institutions we have trusted for so long have failed us?

---

Perhaps because there is nobody who can bail America out?

We spent the first 100 years of our history waiting for another European invasion (which came in 1812) while fighting the natives.

We spent the next thirty years fighting Spain and Mexico.

We spent the next thirty years fighting Germany repeatedly.

We spent the next 60 years waiting for the Russian nukes to fall.

We spent the next 20 years being bombed by every little upstart terrorist network with an axe to grind (culminating in 9/11).

Historically, we have always had to defend ourselves from everyone. Unlike Victor above, we couldn't just call in the British Military, or rely upon an intricate network of alliances to protect us. We share this in common with most of the other rebellious colonies (Mexico, for instance).

Thus, our national culture is one of hyper-vigilance, always scanning for threats. The one time we did let our collective guard down (the 1990s), it bit us in the ass (9/11).

[YOUTUBE="1gXY3kuDvSU"]How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb[/YOUTUBE]
    Good points

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Antisocial one View Post
    I dont want to insult anyone but I simply have to ask something.

Seriously why American culture has so many emo elements in itself ?
    I mean I am constantly getting this vibe from many of the posters from US (and US media). Like constant fears over economy, civil rights, something will happen to my kids, I am not pretty or succesful or smart ...... etc.

Seriously why so many fears ?

Also there is this constant fear that some one will defeat you on some sneaky or brutal way. I mean you talk so much about bleeding, suffering, sacrifice, being fragile etc as a nation. Actually one of the reasons why I stoped watching movies is because I could not handle how emotional most of them are. Many of the TV shows are showing pretty much the same thing as well, as all those crime reconstruction series.

I don't know but to me it looks that it isn't that hard to scare you as group.
    (what isn't good obviously)

Or am I simply seeing something that isn't there ?

What a great post! It's the legacy of the "Boomer" Generation. Whom I am looking forward to dancing on all their graves after they die of starvation from eating cat food in retirement.

Yes indeed my parents generation suxor shitzor. Self-ish, self-centered batards...yes that's French for dry bread.

Bankrupted the monetary system. Sold out US workers and industry. Ran up the credit card bill like there was no tomorrow!

They all still control the media, and the government...and all of those institutions still express their greatest fears. So I won't shed a freakn' tear if the devil doesn't bother to provide a little vaseline as he chaps their ass in hell.

Dennis Hopper and his cocaine snort-in...two-timing married five times breedn' arse got an early start on the menu this past week.

All I can say is "atta-boy!"

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4sop
    Socionics
    IEE

Historically, we have always had to defend ourselves from everyone. Unlike Victor above, we couldn't just call in the British Military, or rely upon an intricate network of alliances to protect us. We share this in common with most of the other rebellious colonies (Mexico, for instance).
    Historically, everyone have always had to defend themselves against everyone else. After WWI, the US has more allies (or had anyway) than a lot of other countries making economic deals and whatnot. The US is still a world power and has less to fear than a lot of other countries, top position in United Nations, the big international legal system, still strong military, NATO, etc. It's been a while since we were a rebellious colony needing protection and fearing our neighbors.

I agree that the US is not the only 'fearful' culture.

Away with the fairies Southern Kross's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 so/sp

I personally feel that the cult of the individual has a lot to do with it. American culture and governmental policy is prioritized toward individual needs and desires. There is less legislation that requires on and fosters inter-dependence between people and there is greater focus on self-reliance. America's brand of capitalism also increases the risk-reward ratio of living in the US compared with most other nations: you can win big and gain success more easily but there are less safe-guards if you lose.

An 'every man for himself' society combined with the uncertainty of a high risk environment, will naturally breed fear and distrust.

(Note: this is not to say Americans don't care about anyone but themselves - Americans are obviously very caring. However, America has less of an utilitarian form of governance)

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Rebe View Post
    It's been a while since we were a rebellious colony needing protection and fearing our neighbors.

I agree that the US is not the only 'fearful' culture.
    I would imagine that the populations of regions that regularly erupt into war are even more fearful/weary (Africa, South America, Balkans, Near East, Indian Subcontinent, Southeast Asia, Korea, Taiwan).

In fact, I wonder what region/nation the OP is from, such that America's media seems paranoid to him. Iceland? Australia? Sweden? Switzerland?

MBTI
    ENFJ

I would imagine that the populations of regions that regularly erupt into war are even more fearful/weary (Africa, South America, Balkans, Near East, Indian Subcontinent, Southeast Asia, Korea, Taiwan).

In fact, I wonder what region/nation the OP is from, such that America's media seems paranoid to him. Iceland? Australia? Sweden? Switzerland?
    Antisocial is from Croatia, I think.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Southern Kross View Post
    I personally feel that the cult of the individual has a lot to do with it. American culture and governmental policy is prioritized toward individual needs and desires. There is less legislation that requires on and fosters inter-dependence between people and there is greater focus on self-reliance. America's brand of capitalism also increases the risk-reward ratio of living in the US compared with most other nations: you can win big and gain success more easily but there are less safe-guards if you lose.

An 'every man for himself' society combined with the uncertainty of a high risk environment, will naturally breed fear and distrust.

(Note: this is not to say Americans don't care about anyone but themselves - Americans are obviously very caring. However, America has less of an utilitarian form of governance)
    Very well said

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    Antisocial is from Croatia, I think.
    Correct.

Basicly I am from a region that you consider fearful. However I am pretty sure that we worry less about things than people in the US.
    What is probably the consequence of our history.

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Antisocial one View Post
    Correct.

Basicly I am for a region that you consider fearful. However I am pretty sure that we worry less about things than people in the US do.
    What is probably the consequence of our history.
    Yes, eastern Europeans are pretty badass in this respect.

Though I think you must remember that the US spent much of its history WAITING to be invaded as opposed to actually being invaded.