User Tag List

First 12345 Last

Smile

The USA has been the largest economy in the world for more than one hundred years, and remains the country with the largest economy in the world. Yet the USA is paranoid. Why is this?

Well, their paranoia is normal and natural, for the USA began in patricide and was confirmed in fratricide.

And patricide and fratricide lead directly to paranoia.

For in their eight year war of treachery against the King, the USA committed symbolic patricide. And then, like all revolutionaries they devoured their children in the Civil War, committing fratricide.

The USA is like Oedipus who killed his father, committing patricide.

And the USA is like Cain who killed his brother, committing fratricide.

And so the USA is blinded like Oedipus to its own history.

And the USA wears the mark of Cain, called paranoia.

Behold - a blinded and paranoid giant, bestriding the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    The USA has been the largest economy in the world for more than one hundred years, and remains the country with the largest economy in the world. Yet the USA is paranoid. Why is this?

Well, their paranoia is normal and natural, for the USA began in patricide and was confirmed in fratricide.

And patricide and fratricide lead directly to paranoia.

For in their eight year war of treachery against the King, the USA committed symbolic patricide. And then, like all revolutionaries they devoured their children in the Civil War, committing fratricide.

The USA is like Oedipus who killed his father, committing patricide.

And the USA is like Cain who killed his brother, committing fratricide.

And so the USA is blinded like Oedipus to its own history.

And the USA wears the mark of Cain, called paranoia.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by tawanda View Post
    No, but honestly, this country has run on fear ever since the Great Depression. Plus it's a government of commerce. People only matter if they are consumers, customers, people giving the big guys money. Fear sells just as well as sex sells. Advertising at its finest.
    yeah, but we're not the only ones... look what Switzerland did with the minaret ban - Minaret controversy in Switzerland - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The advertising and propaganda that led up to that vote was pretty damn sad imho... It was really shocking to see that politicians were willing to go there and worse yet the people were willing to buy into it.

There is fear mongering everywhere, America certainly has it's share.

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so

It is something fundamental, whatever it is. It is not a "problem" that can be corrected by skimming something off the top layer.
    You can't spell "justice" without ISTJ.

MBTI
    ENFJ

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the imagination issue.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 so/sx
    Socionics
    SLE Ti

Quote Originally Posted by spin-1/2-nuclei View Post
    yeah, but we're not the only ones... look what Switzerland did with the minaret ban - Minaret controversy in Switzerland - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The advertising and propaganda that led up to that vote was pretty damn sad imho... It was really shocking to see that politicians were willing to go there and worse yet the people were willing to buy into it.

There is fear mongering everywhere, America certainly has it's share.
    Egads! It's on the move, now I'm fearful.

Plus, I do have to add this propaganda stuff is sooo much worse in some developing countries.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Reptilians

MBTI
    ENFJ

Imaginative people can easily become paranoid with a shove in the right direction. You end up in your own private Hell where you can't leave because you've destroyed all the exits.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by tcda View Post
    Such is life under the free market: insecure and usntable. "Monopoly with elements of anarchy". Or, as I heard it described, living under capitalism is like living in a boarding school run by sociopaths with bi-polar disorder.
    This is probably true. It is one of my fears

Quote Originally Posted by Arclight View Post
    Scared people are easier to control.
    Therefore a culture of fear is nurtured.

Scared people tend to be anti social.. If you are afraid of your neighbor then it is less likely you will join up with your neighbor and challenge the powers that be.
    If you are afraid of each other , then you are not going to focus on who the real enemy is.
    Quote Originally Posted by GemPOPGem View Post
    The Media.
    Quote Originally Posted by tawanda View Post
    The media tells us that the po-po or the terrorists are going to get us, and when they do that, they win!!!

No, but honestly, this country has run on fear ever since the Great Depression. Plus it's a government of commerce. People only matter if they are consumers, customers, people giving the big guys money. Fear sells just as well as sex sells. Advertising at its finest.
    These are all great points.

Fear is used to influence or control. I think all or most governments use fear for this purpose. Certainly the US would not be so different than China, Russia, or other countries in this regard. Corporations use fear to generate revenues and contain costs. The news is about one calamity after another - presumably because it sells airtime and for no other reason.

I think though that we should consider "fear of what" and I would question whether or not there is more fear in the US than other countries. There is probably more fear related to the free market, financial security and medical care. I think there is less fear of the government and organized crime than in many countries. In some countries, one could fear they will never be able to climb out of their current circumstances. In the US there would be less fear of being held back in society because of condition you were born into.

In either case, I don't think I'd judge that a culture is fearful because of what is in the media. It seems to be a common theme in the way people in the US are viewed, which is by what's in the media. We need to remember that media is entertainment.

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Antisocial one View Post
    I dont want to insult anyone but I simply have to ask something.

Seriously why American culture has so many emo elements in itself ?
    I mean I am constantly getting this vibe from many of the posters from US (and US media). Like constant fears over economy, civil rights, something will happen to my kids, I am not pretty or succesful or smart ...... etc.

Seriously why so many fears ?
    Perhaps because we just witnessed the largest economic crash of the past 70 years?

Perhaps because the institutions we have trusted for so long have failed us?

---

Perhaps because there is nobody who can bail America out?

Also there is this constant fear that some one will defeat you on some sneaky or brutal way. I mean you talk so much about bleeding, suffering, sacrifice, being fragile etc as a nation. Actually one of the reasons why I stoped watching movies is because I could not handle how emotional most of them are. Many of the TV shows are showing pretty much the same thing as well, as all those crime reconstruction series.
    We spent the first 100 years of our history waiting for another European invasion (which came in 1812) while fighting the natives.

We spent the next thirty years fighting Spain and Mexico.

We spent the next thirty years fighting Germany repeatedly.

We spent the next 60 years waiting for the Russian nukes to fall.

We spent the next 20 years being bombed by every little upstart terrorist network with an axe to grind (culminating in 9/11).

I don't know but to me it looks that it isn't that hard to scare you as group.
    (what isn't good obviously)

Or am I simply seeing something that isn't there ?
    Historically, we have always had to defend ourselves from everyone. Unlike Victor above, we couldn't just call in the British Military, or rely upon an intricate network of alliances to protect us. We share this in common with most of the other rebellious colonies (Mexico, for instance).

Thus, our national culture is one of hyper-vigilance, always scanning for threats. The one time we did let our collective guard down (the 1990s), it bit us in the ass (9/11).

[YOUTUBE="1gXY3kuDvSU"]How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb[/YOUTUBE]