User Tag List

12311 Last

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram

Default Israeli murder of 30 Gaza activists in international waters

Monday, May 31, 2010

The reason for the slaughter of the Free Gaza activists

The Israeli government and media has been vilifying the Free Gaza movement in a rabid build-up for weeks, but who would have anticipated this bloody culmination? Who would have expected this act of high seas piracy? Israeli claims that they were fired at, or even attacked with "knives" and "other cold weapons" when they illegally boarded the flotilla, before going on to stalk the sleeping and the innocent can surely be dismissed as vulgar propaganda. From the people who gave us the fastest re-definition of the term 'civilian' of any belligerent state in recent history, such talk is emetic. The idea that there was a "fight", any kind of meaningful combat, between unarmed peace activists and trained killers is just absurd. But let's note a few things. For a start, it is Israel's official contention that there is no humanitarian crisis in Gaza, that their murderous blockade has no severe consequences for the people of Gaza, even at the same time as their official spokespersons speak of Gaza explicitly in the language of genocide. This after the Goldstone report and a mountain of evidence compiled by relief agencies and NGOs documenting the effects of Israel's blockade. It is, of course, absurd and despicable, but it should remind us what kind of state we're dealing with, what kind of logical somersaults it is capable of performing while maintaing perfect equanimity.

Now recall that for weeks the Israeli state has been declaring that the aid flotilla constitutes a violent attack on Israeli sovereignty, though Israel has no sovereign right to police the borders of Gaza. They claimed that the convoy was bringing assistance to terrorists, and warned that it was being funded by the Turkish Muslim Brotherhood. They claim that such aid vessels help keep Hamas in power and Gilad Shalit (who he?) locked up. They claim that the convoy, rather than the blockade itself, constitutes a violation of international law. Israel's ability to exhale falsehoods and absurdities seamlessly, poker-faced, and then to suddenly and without missing a beat alter its story when it becomes clear that not even its loyalist drones are gullible enough to believe it, is not unique but it has a unique pedigree. For the Israeli state is singular in its self-righteousness. This is built in to official doctrine and practise, entrenched in its forms of governmentality. It is always the victim, no matter what it's doing today - whether slaughtering refugees in Sabra and Shatilla, or murdering sleeping families in Dahiya, from Nakba to Cast Lead - it is always on the precipice of being exterminated by a new wave of Arab Nazis. Given this, any effort to undermine its 'defensive' actions is an attack not only on its expansive notions of sovereignty, but on the 'Jewish state'.

By the logic of Israel, any abridgment of its right to murder Palestinians constitutes an act of antisemitism, an existential attack on the Jewish people, whom they represent by proxy. Its job, then, is to do whatever it deems fit in discouraging and punishing said 'antisemites' while aggressively retailing whatever they do to an increasingly hostile world which, at any rate, they insist is driven by exterminationist antisemitism anyway. If the two ends - the violent preservation of Israeli supremacy in the Middle East, and the global PR - increasingly come into conflict, this is only because of a 'new antisemitism', not because of anything Israel actually does.

In other words, by the twisted logic of Zionism: Israel can impose a blockade on Gaza that systematically starves civilians, leaves them to die without medicine, destroys their sewage and power systems, leaves them utterly dependent on international aid delivery which it imposes the most grotesque restrictions on; then it can demonise and assault an aid flotilla intended to break the blockade, fire on the residents, murder people in their sleep, the better to deter anyone from attempting to violate its supremacy in Palestine again; then it can manufacture whatever story it requires to force a hostile world to accept its actions, muddy the waters, juggle narratives, befuddle and confuse people, following up one bit of legerdemain with yet another and another, etc; and it can do all this while remaining the perpetual victim (remember Sderot!), while doing nothing more than defending itself, defending its famed "right to exist", and by proxy the right of the Jewish people to exist. That, the logic of Zionism upon which the Israeli state is founded, alone explains the insane combination of thuggishness, deceit, secrecy and sanctimony that has always characterised Israel's conduct.

SOURCE: LENIN'S TOMB

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmyBS0YiXZU&feature=player_embedded"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmyBS0YiXZU&feature=player_embedded[/YOUTUBE]
    "Of course we spent our money in the good times. That's what you're supposed to do in good times! You can't save money in the good times. Then they wouldn't be good times, they'd be 'preparation for the bad times' times."

"Every country in the world owes money. Everyone. So heere's what I dont get: who do they all owe it to, and why don't we just kill the bastard and relax?"

-Tommy Tiernan, Irish comedian.

MBTI
    NICE

The interesting part is that the ship was registered in Turkey and was interdicted in international waters.

Turkey condemns Israel over deadly attack on Gaza aid flotilla - Telegraph

It looks like the Israelis have finally tired of the Ak Party. -They're probably as tired of the Ak Party as the Turkish military are...

Poking the Israelis with a big stick is never a good idea. It demonstrates a naivety that is somewhat at odds with the military relations both countries benefit from.

FigerPuppet

I agree with the text in the OP. I hope the international community will actually do something this time instead of just throwing empty threats at the Zionists, because this is completely unacceptable. Not even the Zionist-loving fools of the US can defend this act without looking like gullible idiots, but I doubt that's going to discourage them from trying.

MBTI
    INTj

Can you cite the source for the OP please.
    Last edited by Haight; 06-05-2010 at 09:22 AM.
    "The only time I'm wrong is when I'm questioning myself."
    Haight

Senior Member InsatiableCuriosity's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by SmileyMan View Post
    I agree with the text in the OP. I hope the international community will actually do something this time instead of just throwing empty threats at the Jews, because this is completely unacceptable. Not even the Zionist-loving fools of the US can defend this act without looking like gullible idiots, but I doubt that's going to discourage them from trying.
    Hang on here - how did this suddenly turn from Israeli to Jews???

I know a number of progressive Jews who do not agree with what has been happening, and who count Arabs and Palestinians among their friends.

With such a sweeping statement you might as well say that all German, Austrian, Polish and Baltic people were responsible for the Holocaust.

It's too easy to build up hatred and resentment instead of the willingness to seek solutions by generalising and pre-judging everyone of a particular faith.

Can we tone down the offensive generalisations here please??
    "Study hard what interests you the most in the most undisciplined, irreverent and original manner possible."
    — Richard P. Feynman

"Never tell a person a thing is impossible. G*d/the Universe may have been waiting all this time for someone ignorant enough of the impossibility to do just that thing."
    author unknown

FigerPuppet

Quote Originally Posted by InsatiableCuriosity View Post
    Can we tone down the offensive generalisations here please or are you a white supremacist anti semite??
    Yes, can we please do that? I don't associate with white supremacists, so I take offense to what you wrote.

Changed it to "Zionists."

And no, I'm not an anti-semite.

Senior Member InsatiableCuriosity's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by SmileyMan View Post
    Yes, can we please do that? I don't associate with white supremacists, so I take offense to what you wrote.

Changed it to "Zionists."

And no, I'm not an anti-semite.
    Thank you - I had to ask the question given how you had framed your comments.
    "Study hard what interests you the most in the most undisciplined, irreverent and original manner possible."
    — Richard P. Feynman

"Never tell a person a thing is impossible. G*d/the Universe may have been waiting all this time for someone ignorant enough of the impossibility to do just that thing."
    author unknown

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

I dont know it was as many as thirty but I did hear reports from an Israeli spokesperson themselves that the "terrorists", their language not mine, where "lynched", attacked with "knives" or "improvised weapons" or shot at with weapons they'd taken from the boarding soldiers.

To be honest it really doesnt sound like they where prepared for a confrontation, it doesnt even sound like they where terrorists, at least if there's an unarmed and not prepared for violence variety its new to me. I'm also not sure that any ship of sailors in what they perceive to be hostile waters and boarded by an armed and possibly hostile force wouldnt act the same way.

Lets not pretend that there wasnt a sense of grievance and hostility on each side in this incident and that can spark trouble quickly, could it have been avoided, yeah, who should be considered responsible or the aggressor, I'd say the Israelis boarding the boat at this time.

I'm not prepared to throw a wider net than that, its not all of the jewish people everywhere, possibly not every zionist in israel or elsewhere would agree with this course of action but one things for sure that as soon as the pros and contras get churning out their propaganda the respective groupthinks will set in and people who wouldnt otherwise have supported a particular course of action will retrospectively support it.

I'm not sure about the OP because I've got that poster on ignore, I dont know from the reported news I heard that the bodycount was that high but I heard the story on the news when I got up this morning.

Riva

The middle east is a god foresaken hell hole.

Lolz, Land of 'Honey and Gold'.

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Haight View Post
    Can you site the source for the OP please.
    The link is at the end of the article. The author is Richard Seymour
    "Of course we spent our money in the good times. That's what you're supposed to do in good times! You can't save money in the good times. Then they wouldn't be good times, they'd be 'preparation for the bad times' times."

"Every country in the world owes money. Everyone. So heere's what I dont get: who do they all owe it to, and why don't we just kill the bastard and relax?"

-Tommy Tiernan, Irish comedian.