User Tag List

123 Last

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Default Can Capitalism survive without Christianity?

Or some similar religious system.

I'm wondering if the whole idea of a sinners or saint's reward, sometimes mockingly dawbed "Pie in the Sky", where proven to be fundamentally erroneous what the social and particularly economic implicatios would really be.

Not to be fatalist but I think that the dream of an earthly reward or paradise bought and paid for, a time of rest, is out of the reach of almost everyone. Even if its some what unconscious or agnostic the idea of an eventual or afterlife reward provides some consolation in that context.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post

I'm wondering if the whole idea of a sinners or saint's reward, sometimes mockingly dawbed "Pie in the Sky", where proven to be fundamentally erroneous what the social and particularly economic implicatios would really be.

Not to be fatalist but I think that the dream of an earthly reward or paradise bought and paid for, a time of rest, is out of the reach of almost everyone. Even if its some what unconscious or agnostic the idea of an eventual or afterlife reward provides some consolation in that context.
    Capitalism can easily survive without christianity or some other religion, so long as crime and punishment remain clearly defined. The loss of one's personal freedom and other similar punishments prove to be relatively successful at deterring the average citizen from misbehaving so social order would remain the same. For certain people (those who need to believe in a god/afterlife to find meaning in life) disproving religion would be problematic for them, and we can speculate what the consequences might be. There are plenty of people that can be quite delusional when they don't like the truth about something so I imagine for those people life would go on as it always was, then others might simply kill themselves, but there are plenty of atheists out there so my guess is a certain percentage of the population will be just fine to discover there is no such thing as god (seeing as how they've known this all along) and others might suffer a melt down, but eventually equilibrium would be reached again for most people and they would find some way to continue on with their lives etc.

Sniffles

Outside of a Calvinist-derived mentality, no not really.

Capitalism is antithetical to Christianity, at least as that religion is usually practiced. Witness the repeated attacks on capitalism from the biggest church on Earth, and from the "right" in the U.S. When Pope Eggs Benedict and Mike Huckabee are in agreeance in condemning capitalism, it's probably a safe bet that capitalism is unpopular among those who believe in Jebus.

Some of the most vibrantly free markets are currently found in non-Xtian Asia...

MBTI
    INTP

I beg you, look for the words "social justice" or "economic justice" on your church website. If you find it, run as fast as you can. Social justice and economic justice, they are code words. Now, am I advising people to leave their church? Yes.

That was Glenn Beck on his March 2 radio show, taking a stand against, well, pretty much every church in the Christian faith: Catholic, Episcopalian, Methodist, Baptist—even his very own Church of Latter-day Saints.--Corey Robin.
    The above is an excerpt from an article that may be found by clicking here.

The article is about Ayn Rand, and--among other things--it gives an overview of her "anti-religious defense of capitalism".

Doug wilson would say no.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Wilson
    In Rodney Stark's very fine book, The Victory of Reason, he notes a problem with using the word "capitalism" in discussions of economics. He says capitalism "is very difficult to define, having originated not as an economic concept but as a pejorative term first used by nineteenth century leftists to condemn wealth and privilege. Adapting the term for serious analysis is a bit like trying to make a social scientific concept out of 'reactionary pig" (p. 55). Nonetheless, despite this difficulty, Stark accurately summarizes three essential elements of capitalism.

They are: 1. Free markets; 2. Secure property rights; and 3. Free labor.We should therefore want free, untrammeled markets. We should want free, untrammeled property. We should want free, untrammeled labor. And we can't have any of these three apart from free grace. Societies that do not have the freedom Christ brings cannot have other subsidiary freedoms -- because Christ brings them all.
    Free Markets and Free Grace

I tend to agree with him. But, I am a little uncomfortable with the absoluteness of his statement. Christian societies should be more moral and require fewer government restraints on property, labor and the market. Non-Christian societies will be less moral and require more restraint.
    Take the weakest thing in you
    And then beat the bastards with it
    And always hold on when you get love
    So you can let go when you give it

What is, is. Arthur Schopenhauer's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INTj

LOL.

[YOUTUBE="mbef07aQtB8"][/YOUTUBE]
    INTJ | 5w4 - Sp/Sx/So | 5-4-(9/1) | RLoEI | Melancholic-Choleric | Johari & Nohari

This will not end well...
    But it will at least be poetic, I suppose...

Hmm... But what if it does end well?
    Then I suppose it will be a different sort of poetry, a preferable sort...
    A sort I could become accustomed to...

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by MagnificentMind View Post
    LOL.

[YOUTUBE="mbef07aQtB8"][/YOUTUBE]
    Awesome video, and true!
    Extraverted - 25 Introverted - 75
    Sensing - 0 Intuition - 100
    Thinking - 63 Feeling - 37
    Judging - 63 Perceiving - 37

It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see.

That video only proves that the visible church in america has been hiding from the culture rather than engaging and transforming the culture... also that there is a heavy streak of anti-intellectualism.

If christians acted as the bible commands them to then the best actors, scientists, writers etc. would be christian... that's the way it was for a couple of millennia.
    Take the weakest thing in you
    And then beat the bastards with it
    And always hold on when you get love
    So you can let go when you give it

Lasting_Pain

Actually Christianity was used to perpetuate Capitalism during the late 1480s to early 1500s during the colonial period.

I am not sure whether Christianity is needed for Capitalism to survive but I do think that the people within the system have become too comfortable with the status quo. So if Christianity disappeared, Capitalism would still have precedence.