First 12345 Last

What is, is. Arthur Schopenhauer's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by Beefeater View Post
    Also, america may be religious, but I don't think its very christian...
    Christianity is a religion.
    INTJ | 5w4 - Sp/Sx/So | 5-4-(9/1) | RLoEI | Melancholic-Choleric | Johari & Nohari

This will not end well...
    But it will at least be poetic, I suppose...

Hmm... But what if it does end well?
    Then I suppose it will be a different sort of poetry, a preferable sort...
    A sort I could become accustomed to...

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Also, america may be religious, but I don't think its very christian... particularly in the "bible belt."
    It is only your personal opinion that the United States is not very christian,the statistics say otherwise.

I think the world and capitalism would do just fine without christianity.

Quote Originally Posted by MagnificentMind View Post
    Christianity is a religion.
    I heartily agree. My point is I don't think many people in america have a very strong understanding of the bible and so their behavior and beliefs are not in accord with the bible. While on a personal level I don't think an individual can be more or less christian they either are or are not a christian. I do think a society can be more or less christian and that can be measured by how the beliefs of christians and the populace on a whole actually match up with scripture.

I think america is less christian than it was 200 years ago because the beliefs of the Christians and everyone else do not match up with scripture very often.

So they may be religious, but it's not christianity they are practicing.

I'm glad this topic came up.

I was given this book a year ago:

But, I have yet to read it... now I'm going to be spending the next day or two reading it.
    Take the weakest thing in you
    And then beat the bastards with it
    And always hold on when you get love
    So you can let go when you give it

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INTj

I heartily agree. My point is I don't think many people in america have a very strong understanding of the bible[...]
    Agreed - "people in america", being Christians.
    INTJ | 5w4 - Sp/Sx/So | 5-4-(9/1) | RLoEI | Melancholic-Choleric | Johari & Nohari

Agreed - "people in america", being Christians.
    ?
    I'm not sure I understand.

My point is that america is a country inhabited largely by people who call themselves christians, but who do not practice christianity.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INTj

?
    I'm not sure I understand.

My point is that america is a country inhabited largely by people who call themselves christians, but who do not practice christianity.
    I also think that many Christians lack a strong, and founded understanding of the Bible; this fact reveals itself, continuously and often, especially amongst certain evangelical denominations, if not all of them. I was personally raised in this sort of religious subgroup, and I found the whole experience and the teachings lacking, especially after I began to delve into the other religious subgroups shortly after becoming an atheist. I've seen many interesting debates between Christians, primarily via Youtube, that also enhanced my view on this subject, as, often, this certain group of pastors, well-read in the Bible, would have to refute the emotional tirades of earnest yet naive Christians that were expressing something contradictory to the Bible or to the nature of god, or to whatever. It was an extremely interesting thing to watch them go at it.

Also, I am one to question the goodness of religion, entirely. I think it does more harm than good, honestly. Would America be so great if men behaved as true Christians? I wonder.

MBTI
    ESFJ

I also think that many Christians lack a strong, and founded understanding of the Bible; this fact reveals itself, continuously and often, especially amongst certain evangelical denominations, if not all of them. I was personally raised in this sort of religious subgroup, and I found the whole experience and the teachings lacking, especially after I began to delve into the other religious subgroups shortly after becoming an atheist. I've seen many interesting debates between Christians, primarily via Youtube, that also enhanced my view on this subject, as, often, this certain group of pastors, well-read in the Bible, would have to refute the emotional tirades of earnest yet naive Christians that were expressing something contradictory to the Bible or to the nature of god, or to whatever. It was an extremely interesting thing to watch them go at it.

Also, I am one to question the goodness of religion, entirely. I think it does more harm than good, honestly. Would America be so great if men behaved as true Christians? I wonder.

I went to Catholic school from K-12, and I have found that most Catholics do not read the Bible. The teachers and priests/nuns don't even really encourage it much. Of course, the Roman Catholic Church teaches that its dogma AND the Bible are both divinely inspired, so you need to listen to them. They'll explain it all. . .
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

Gotcha.

But without Christianity what is harmful and what is good becomes meaningless.

Quote Originally Posted by Cornelius Van Til
    the non-Christian needs the truth of the Christian religion in order to attack it. As a child needs to sit on the lap of its father in order to slap the father's face, so the unbeliever, as a creature, needs God the Creator and providential controller of the universe in order to oppose this God.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INTj

But without Christianity what is harmful and what is good becomes meaningless.
    I think these actions obtain even more meaning in the absence of an eternal reward, simply because, to do good, in the midst of this seemingly great despair, requires an honest desire to be good, not for oneself, but for others, and for future generations. To me, this idea of god, saps the worth out of the action itself. In a god world, the action of being good, without god, becomes meaningless, thus god renders good meaningless, himself.

Originally Posted by Cornelius Van Til
    the non-Christian needs the truth of the Christian religion in order to attack it. As a child needs to sit on the lap of its father in order to slap the father's face, so the unbeliever, as a creature, needs God the Creator and providential controller of the universe in order to oppose this God.
    Won't disagree with the fact that it is hard to debate god without talking about him.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    Or some similar religious system.

I'm wondering if the whole idea of a sinners or saint's reward, sometimes mockingly dawbed "Pie in the Sky", where proven to be fundamentally erroneous what the social and particularly economic implicatios would really be.

Not to be fatalist but I think that the dream of an earthly reward or paradise bought and paid for, a time of rest, is out of the reach of almost everyone. Even if its some what unconscious or agnostic the idea of an eventual or afterlife reward provides some consolation in that context.
    I do not think so.
    Reward on earth is short lived.
    Voracity does not set bounds. Greed has no limit.